OCR01217 - *YES* Laser Squad 'Mission Recalled'

djpretzel

Can someone track down an original MOD or MIDI? -djp

If Laser Squad is familiar game from Amiga then you've heard the original.

This remix is bridge between Spacesynth and Electro-breakbeat styles, some trancy elements too I'd say. Made in two evenings. The vocal sample in the intro is "naturally" me. Original song by Matt Furniss and he gave me his blessing on this remix :) The electronic rain sound in the intro has been sampled from my friend's Korg M1, bassline from his Juno-106, some samples are from the original module song (with some pre-processing for higher sample quality), drums are samples sequenced in Orion (no loops), otherwise sounds from softsynths. They say intro is little bit long, but it is still shorter than in the original (and personally I like it this way). Some counterpoint melodies added.

download:

Artist Name: Mark Vera

Name: Jouni Airaksinen

Email: markvera ( at ) spacesynth.net

Homepage: http://www.markvera.net/

// Jouni

--

Jouni Airaksinen // www.markvera.net

www.spacesynth.net the place where spacesynth scene meets!

• 3 weeks later...

hmm, it's been a long time since i've used an M1.. i can't recall that rain sound. anyways,

i checked out the original, lasersquad1.mod, you can get it off Mirsoft's game music site. i was gonna complain about that annoying 'ba' sample but it's apparently from the original and it's even more annoying there! jouni is right about the intro, it's long but not too long.

the eq'ing here is overly bright, the mix sounds shrill.

the interpretation here isn't very exotic, he's changed the instrumentation around and has added new stuff.. but a lot of new stuff.

that juno bass sounds very good. i was never a fan of the junos sound but jouni apparently got it to work well.

it's a little longer than it should be, but i'd say it's passable.

yes

I'm going to go the cliche route and mention that this is "typical Mark Vera" something-or-other.

Great mixing and mastering, great authenticity in regards to a retro electronica sound, and a very focused, defined development from intro to ending.

Great work. Personally I don't know why Mark's tracks are hitting the panel at all ;).

YES

-D