OCR01173 - Castlevania "The Raven"

'Bout dern time goat gets some love on OCR, cuz he's been gettin' mad love on VG Mix. Here you get goat's trademark power chords and grinding guitar solos. Not much to say here except he gets better with every mix. Good to see him finally getting the respect he deserves.

nice song!!! I loved goat since the beginning!!! It's cool because now as soon as I see the name I KNOW it's going to be good (just like McVaffee (where is he now!?))

also I'd like to point out that I normally REALLY DONT like hardcore music like this... i like rock but thats about it... so it's a great feat that you got me loving your songs goat!:)

Guitar playing is nice, as always. But I'm sorry man, the production kind of sucks compared to goat's other stuff. The lead warbles like it's underwater and is mixed way in the back while the rythm guitar bleeds lower frequencies over it.

Still, there's plenty of awesome here - nice change up at 2:00. The synth at 3:31 is interesting, but probably not implemented with the guitar very well.

Overall, sweet guitar playing with more lacking production than usual.

The production isn't perfect.. drums could be better, blah blah. But this is absolutely one of my favorite OC mixes that I've heard. :D Just beautiful. Plus you've got this mish-mash Maiden/thrash/hair metal sound which I just adore! This is just so fscking awesome.. Please, I beg of you, make more stuff in this style. If I was a girl, I'd want, no, demand you to let me be your love slave, this song just owns way too much than should be legal ;)

Great mix. More words would complicate this review needlessly.

For some reason, I can't put any of goat's mixes on my Minidisc. It says it doesn't support the file format. Any help?

Some of my songs are variable bit rate mp3's. This is the only way they could fit under the 6meg file size limit. I don't know anything about your minidisc, but I'm sure the answer is related to variable bit rate. good luck!!!!!

edit: I think the non-variable-bitrate version of this song can be found at www.vgmix.com, if you can't find a quick fix. As for purple heart, I'd try to get the version here to work because I made some production improvements in time for ocremix.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well... As we all know (or at least the lucky few to have seen the review board for "stained glass filth") Goat's the guy who showed me castlevania music kicks. In any case, this is no exception. Great rendition of "Wicked Child", though I think the screechy sound effects around 2:00 could have been done without. I mean, never before has a SOUND made me feel sick. No offense to Goat, of course. Also, a little more distortion on the less-distorted areas would be in order, but all in all... It's a damn good mix.

• 2 months later...

From about 2:17 is where this baby really shines...it gets an even darker tone to it, that also sounds vaguely cinematic. Y'know, it sounds like the leadup to something big. And it does leadup to something big. goat knows his shit. And I just wish he'd do more Castlevania stuff, because the soul of the original music seems to suit his style.

• 7 months later...
this is truly the best castlevania remix i've ever heard. i love the guitars, the drums, it all sounds so cool! Rock On!

I could not agree more the guitars remind me of metallica's and justice for all album, gerat remix keep up the good work and keep on rocken!

Link WOLF :D

• 6 months later...

goat always rocks. He's always got something raw and powerful to throw at you, and some people just can't seem to catch it right off, but i love it. I'm also glad that he treats the castlevania games with such a respect, and i do think it's time that someone ReMixed Riddle from CV3 or Don't Wait Until Night and Cross Your Heart from HC, but that's just hoping. Rock on.

• 1 year later...

Man this guy is right up my alley of taste. You know i like a lot of things, but at my core im definitely metal. Goat i gotta know how you get such good recordings of metal guitar! That is single-handedly the most difficult thing for me when i make music.

Anyways about the track, i like the crunch of the guitars that gives it that sludgy effect which is executed nicely. Also, i dont know how else to describe it, but the solos are really nice and clean, almost like if eric clapton were to use real distortion :)

OH! and the use of sound effects from the game was simply awesome.

Let me just say thank you for representing metal on OCR. You got me inspired to do some kind of metal remix for the site and i cant wait to get started.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01173 - Castlevania "The Raven"