*NO* Mega Man 9 'Maple Trees Under the Stars'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer Name: Neblix

Name: Nabeel

website (under construction): http://neblixsaber.darkesword.com/neblixsworld.html

Userid: 24123

Game: Megaman 9

Songs: Galaxy Fantasy (Galaxy Man Stage)

Remix Title: Maple Trees Under The Stars

I was listening to an original piano piece somewhere on the WIP forums and the melody reminded me of galaxy man.

I played around with the "What if...?" the result is the piano intro. I played more with it, and it just kept evolving from there.

The Pan Flute

Then the shakers

then the upright bass

next a little bell,

but it doesn't sound very smooth. Since I live with a musician as an older brother, I asked him what he thought and he suggested that apply latin rhythm. Since Shariq is usually never wrong when it comes to music, I followed this advice and before I knew it, I was onto some latin jazz here. I then added a cool mysterious little melody afterwards, and then a full piano to flute to piano solo... and then the ending, is, well, the festive part of the genre. Thought we'd go out with a bang, right?

source:

The arrangement is pretty cool, and i dig the new instrumentation and ideas a lot, but there are some production issues holding this back. The amount of delay and reverb on just about everything is ok when it's just solo piano, but as additional elements are added to the song, it gets overrun fast. You'll need to be toning it down across the board. Sample quality is a little weak as well, but it would work out if a little more attention was paid to humanization. The velocities are pretty static on all the notes, especially some of the piano runs, and some modulation on the pan flute lead to give it a little more life would improve it. It's a pan flute, so you should be bending some of the notes to make it sound more natural.

To get more in depth with the arrangement, I think some more spicy drum fills to smooth out section transitions and make things seem like they aren't on autopilot would be a good improvement over an already pretty decent mix.

You definitely show promise as a mixer, but this track isn't quite there yet. :-)

No, please resubmit

You've got good ideas here, I'll give you that. I like the way the instruments stay mostly the same, but the genre changes as it gets more frantic. Very creative! But the production is not selling your ideas. Some of the articulations are off, and it's especially noticeable in the intro. The velocities also remain pretty consistent, and that makes this sound pretty static and unrealistic. I also think the reverb is a little overdone, there could be more space in here. The whole soundscape is crowded.

Not bad for a start though. I'd stick with this one, Nabeel.

NO (resubmit)

The production is very rough, as I don't really need to say at this point. The unrealistic sequencing is a big turnoff, as is the balancing, which gets really crowded when multiple instruments are going at it. The piano in particular is muffled, and the brass in the ending section in double particular sounds like it's in the next room, with the door closed. Also, the track abruptly cuts off.

The percussion is pretty repetitive, and mixing it up would go a long way to making the arrangement more interesting in a few places where it drags a bit, like 1:02-2:04. I liked the direction you took the source, and there are some interesting ideas there, but it is a bit repetitive at times, like the section I mentioned last sentence. This was a little harsh but it sounds like you have an ear for arrangement; just keep working on your music.

NO