OCR01174 - Final Fantasy "AfterLife"

I must say, I really enjoyed this. At first I didn't really enjoy GrayLightning's unique and different style. But as I listened to more of his stuff, I grew to love it, and that's exactly how I feel about this one. I love it.

Damn, this song gets better and better the more I listen to it.

I didn't realize it untill I felt the need to hear a song that I couldn't quite place.. like having a song stuck in your head but you're missing a couple notes...

After I realized this was it, I kept finding myself coming back to it, and it's always just... kickass.

If I had to complain, it's a slight complaint that the faster part of the song somewhat detracts from this song's ability to reside on a "while-I-sleep" playlist.

I'll be keeping an eye out for more.

I'm a big fan of GL's work, and this mix is an excellent example of why.

I've never heard the original, but this is some very high-quality music. Excellent attention was given to percussion and reverb, and a perfect combination of instruments was chosen. This is my favorite of the remixes that have come out over the past few weeks, even surpassing the OCR4 redesign celebratory mixes. Of course, with the stuff that's been on the front page since the redesign, that says a lot about this mix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great mix. I love the sound used for the main tune, and the way the intro moves into it so smoothly... Just like the pretzel man, I think it's great how at 1'36 it speeds up the pace without losing the great feeling. It really adds to the song and makes sure that the song doesn't start to grow repetitive.

But like everyone else, I have to say that I know I've heard this tune from somewhere else.. My Dad knows this song (or something like it) by heart on the keyboard, and that's probably where I recognized it from. I don't think he said he got it from Final Fantasy, but he mentioned the name "Arthur" when I asked him about it.

The original this is based on wasn't written for a film or game. It was actually ripped from a piece of classical music; I know because I was listening to it, and my dad (who can identify almost any piece of music ever written) came up and said, hey, that's (such and such)! Of course, I don't remember the exact name now, but I can find out a little later today.

oh, and excellent mix :D

Arthur's Theme, by Christopher Cross:

http://www.soundtempest.net/Christopher%20Cross%20-%20Arthur's%20Theme.mp3

You should be able to hear the similarities pretty quick; the opening progression being the most obvious one. Sounds like Uematsu simplified the melody, though, almost de-remixing it :P The chorus of the song, though, is a different progression, so it wasn't really a complete copy.

Remix of a remix!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Are we all listening to the same thing? The guitar was bland and annoying, the transitions were out of place, the synths were random and went against the whole grain of the style. It was overall just repetitive and boring. The area around the drum solo was boring... Why is this getting such good reviews? The same tune is played over and over again too... Sheezus.

Hey, show some respect, a whole party has just died.

I felt it sounded beautiful with the piano and that stringinstrument, very respectful and some real good strings in the back along with those drums that gave this one a teenie weenie oriental touch. Trés bien,

Graylightning.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01174 - Final Fantasy "AfterLife"