I require a controller.

I'm not super educated on this one. Never ever used a controller before. (Other than the ones at school)

Here's what I do know: I need one with a mod wheel and the keys DO NOT need to be weighted. A total of 49 keys would be nice. Must be PC compatible under WinXP. Something like this: http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-KeyRig-49-USB-Keyboard?sku=700932

The cool thing about this one is that it comes with Ableton Lite which would be nice to try. But the problem with it is that, according to the reviews, it requires an AISO card. Is that true for all controllers or is there one with a simple USB connection that I can use?

Also note that I am also planning on buying a new sound card. So if that needs to happen I'm prepared for it.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

MIDI itself is quite fast. The ASIO card is more for reducing the output latency. Overall latency has 3 parts: the time it takes for the MIDI signal generated by you pressing a key to make it to the VST that will produce the sound, the time the VST takes to make the sound (including effects and such), and the time it takes the sound to get to your sound card outputs.

The first part is always pretty fast; the second is dependent on the speed of your computer. The last is dependent on both your sound card and its buffer size. A normal sound card probably won't let you touch the buffer size, but a decent one will (and will perform better anyway). Make the buffer too small and the CPU won't be able to fill it with audio fast enough so you'll get crackling; make it too large and you'll get latency. A latency of 10-15 ms will be inaudible; more than that and you'll start to feel the lag as you play.

MIDI itself is quite fast. The ASIO card is more for reducing the output latency. Overall latency has 3 parts: the time it takes for the MIDI signal generated by you pressing a key to make it to the VST that will produce the sound, the time the VST takes to make the sound (including effects and such), and the time it takes the sound to get to your sound card outputs.

The first part is always pretty fast; the second is dependent on the speed of your computer. The last is dependent on both your sound card and its buffer size. A normal sound card probably won't let you touch the buffer size, but a decent one will (and will perform better anyway). Make the buffer too small and the CPU won't be able to fill it with audio fast enough so you'll get crackling; make it too large and you'll get latency. A latency of 10-15 ms will be inaudible; more than that and you'll start to feel the lag as you play.

that's probably what happened when i was using Amplitube 2. I adjusted the buffer size so the sound wouldnt be so late and ended up getting snaps crackles and pops.

I plan on getting the m-audio audiophile 192 with a breakout cable that has a midi connection on it. so if all goes well with that (and if ti works with my speakers) then im in business.

pretty much all the M-audio MIDI keyboards come with Live Lite.

When you say "I need a controller", there's really not much about that keyboard that will serve as a MIDI controller. Just to clarify, a keyboard and a controller are not necessarily the same thing, but most keyboards offer lots of options in the way of implementing the two together. If you want more "control" out of your MIDI keyboard, I'd opt for something with more knobs and sliders, like the M-Audio Oxygen series. Otherwise, the keyrig is pretty much just a keyboard.

I dunno. I have an M-Audio and while it suits my needs, I wouldn't say it's the best keyboard in the world - definitely good for starters, though.

Anyway, I use an Oxygen 49, which might suit your needs. I'd take the Oxygen over the Keystation any day because the MIDI parameter controls on it (the knobs, faders, and buttons).

And you really should use ASIO drivers for sound unless you have an audio interface and drivers that came with it. If you don't, just download ASIO4All and use that. It will work much better for you, latency-wise.

I dunno. I have an M-Audio and while it suits my needs, I wouldn't say it's the best keyboard in the world - definitely good for starters, though.

Anyway, I use an Oxygen 49, which might suit your needs. I'd take the Oxygen over the Keystation any day because the MIDI parameter controls on it (the knobs, faders, and buttons).

And you really should use ASIO drivers for sound unless you have an audio interface and drivers that came with it. If you don't, just download ASIO4All and use that. It will work much better for you, latency-wise.

Yeah I plan on getting a mixer too. (See other thread entitled "I require a mixer".) So maybe I could record through that? I'll take a look at all the recomendations. I don't wanna waste my money on shit products or something I can't use.

EDIT: Okay! I think I'll go with that Oxygen 49. Price is good and, as you say, it offers more control. Thanks guys!

Well, your mixer and controller are very different things and do very different things. You won't actually record any audio through a controller like you will a mixer, and the controller controls control (olol) MIDI parameters that are mapped to software (controlling synths and software mixers and the like - kind of making a hardware mixer unnecessary unless you are recording with 8 mics at a time).

And while I may have come off as harsh on M-Audio, I'll be keeping my Oxygen 49 until I feel that coughing $600 for a Novation 61SL MkII. D:

I'm very much NOT a fan of M-Audio. They make very cheap feeling keyboards that destroy your fingers and their pitch wheels feel awful. You're best off either getting an Edirol PCR: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PCR800/ or checking ebay for quality synths/samplers from the 90s. If you have money to spend in the $500+ range, then there are many great choices you have:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK88/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UF80/

But overall, stay away from M-Audio. I've tried their entire line and it's all very poor quality for the price.