Tatsunoko vs Capcom

BardicKnowledge

Why isn't there a thread for this awesome game yet? I got it today, and it's a total blast. There's even a "Smash Bros. style" control mode for the Wii owners scared to jump into a Capcom fighter (direction + special move button, or direction + super move button).

As far as the cast, I'm not a big anime person, but they cast is varied and fun thus far. I absolutely LOVE the idea of playing as a really giant mech at the expense of not having two characters (Gold Lightan is the most fun fighting-game character I've played in years).

Complexity-wise on the "real" controls, it's like a simplified version of Marvel 2. Because there are no different punches or kicks, special moves just flow out at the end of strings (which for 90% of the cast, ABC (launch) ABC works) like you're a pro. This also makes concentrating on the subtleties of the system (baroque cancels, tagging during an air combo, etc) much easier because more of your focus is available for it.

TL;DR: Get this game!! And more importantly, fight me! :P

I got it. Unlocked Frank, Zero, and Tekkaman Blade so far. Zero is probably my favourite fighter; he feels much smoother than the others, though Yatterman-1 is also nice.

Yami is a major asshole. But beating arcade mode 14 times, minimum, is the only way to unlock all the fighters. I'd say this is the worst thing about the game. I mean, Arcade mode is fine and all, but if you're gonna have unlocks, maybe the methods to unlocking them should be more substantial?

Least-favourite characters so far are Megaman Volnutt and Roll. Roll feels virtually combo-less and Volnutt's attacks just feel stilted. Morrigan has great Yami-pummeling specials, though.

I got it. Unlocked Frank, Zero, and Tekkaman Blade so far. Zero is probably my favourite fighter; he feels much smoother than the others, though Yatterman-1 is also nice.

Yami is a major asshole. But beating arcade mode 14 times, minimum, is the only way to unlock all the fighters. I'd say this is the worst thing about the game. I mean, Arcade mode is fine and all, but if you're gonna have unlocks, maybe the methods to unlocking them should be more substantial?

Least-favourite characters so far are Megaman Volnutt and Roll. Roll feels virtually combo-less and Volnutt's attacks just feel stilted. Morrigan has great Yami-pummeling specials, though.

Ironically, I've found both of those to be my favorite thus far. Roll owns at short range if you use her mop-up time, and Volnutt has a good combination of long- and short-ranged attacks at his disposal. I just can't get the hang of how to switch between each of his weapons...

I would totally get this game, were it not on the Wii.

I really wish that this game wasn't on the Wii so hard.

You are not my after dark man, whoever the hell you are. "Look at me, I'm going to dis a console without giving a reason for it". Jealous much?

Why isn't there a thread for this awesome game yet?

We sort of abused the arcade stick thread to discuss the game itself.

I want this game, but it seems no stores are carrying it yet over here. ;_; Just when I was starting to think Capcom of Europe had finally gotten their stuff together. It feels like I'm back in the early 2000s desperately trying to buy the latest Mega Man game.

I would totally get this game, were it not on the Wii.

I really wish that this game wasn't on the Wii so hard.

I agree with this 120%, mainly because of the control scheme. How are you guys playing this? Wiimote? GC controller? Classic controller? Or did you shell out for the fight stick?

All of those options sound equally awful.

I agree with this 120%, mainly because of the control scheme. How are you guys playing this? Wiimote? GC controller? Classic controller? Or did you shell out for the fight stick?

All of those options sound equally awful.

The GC controller works perfectly. I know a lot of people say that it isn't ideal for fighters, but in this case, there's no flaws with using a Wavebird. The Wiimote doesn't work well at all, and the classic controller is a bit awkward for this game. I'm sure the fight stick works well, too. I just didn't want to spend $80 on it when I was already spending $100 (got No More Heroes 2 with this one last week).

As for the people who are saying, "I wish this wasn't on the Wii," I've got to say, Thank God it's on the Wii! I've been a Wii-only owner since 2006 (not counting older consoles, of course), and I'm thrilled that the Wii is getting games like this. There are lots of great games allegedly slated for Wii releases throughout this year and next, and this is only the tip of the iceberg. The way I see it, games like this are needed to start bringing core gamers back to the Wii who may have been early adopters, but sold their systems due to a lack of games. Tatsunoko v. Capcom is a solid, pure arcade experience. When I first sat down and played it, it reminded me of why I like video games in the first place: they're fun. The 360 and PS3 get enough good games; the Wii deserves some quality, too. [Don't misconstrue this sentiment; a game like this should be able to be played by everyone regardless of console ownership; I'm just glad that something like this finally came out on the Wii].

Classic Controller works fine, GC controller works fine. Anyone who complains about the controls because it's on the Wii is just whining.

(Also using Wiimote+Nunchuck turns this into a pretty nice party game - I kept ~8 people entertained yesterday for several hours by just passing the two controllers around in Versus Mode. Most people didn't know what they were doing, but we still had a blast.)

I'm worried about accessibility for my non-fighting game fan friends.

Actually, this game is the best option out there at this point for accessibility (besides Brawl, of course). You can learn some combos and string together awesome attacks, but in the end, if no one in the room is experienced, button mashing can have some devastating results (just don't try to button mash online; bad idea). Non-fighting game fans can probably get into this easier than they could Street Fighter 4.

Button mashing left my hands totally cramped and exhausted, and it was a crapshoot going through arcade mode even on the easier settings. Since actually making an effort to learn moves, I've found the game is less of a strain. Move combos are pretty basic and forgiving in this game, so it's all good, really. Even if I still pull them off by accident half the time...

EDIT: I'm hoping sales for this game are good. The vgchartz data isn't out yet but I'm keeping my eyes open.

Of course it's whining, but is it whining with or without warrant? For the record, I hated playing Capcom vs. SNK 2 on the Gamecube.

Without. The Classic is a decent controller that ditches the stupid mess that was the Gamecube button layout in favor of the SNES layout that has more or less become the standard. The Classic Pro is the same controller but with better shoulder buttons and a comfort that, in my opinion, is better than the Dual Shock. I'm hoping more games start tacking on Classic support, and judging from the games here in Japan, that is starting to happen. I actually prefer playing the N64 with the VC and Classic Pro over the original.

Bash waggling all you want (don't get me wrong, it's deserved), but any game that allows for the Classic controller should be given a shot before one can claim the controls were a turn-off.

(Nothing beats the 360 controller though.)

The XBox 360 controller is brilliant for most games. It does suck for most fighters though. I'm really happy with my arcade fight stick for Street Fighter 4.

I'll try playing TvC with the classic controller for a while, but I only have the one and obviously I'll need another controller for versus play. I expect the other control schemes to suck. So that's an excellent excuse to buy the fight stick :)