OC ReMix Project Bones Database?

Less Ashamed Of Self

well I've never owned a Mac and I'm not likely to ever, not to mention I'm hardly well versed in DAW knowledge so I have no idea what program runs on what. I'd gladly take suggestions for a program to run a competition with that runs on both PC and Mac.

I know someone mentioned "levelling the playing field" by only allowing one one program, but I think having a compo that allows multiple DAWs (but maybe limiting usage to one DAW per entry?) would be really neat.

Despite what some people like Zircon have to say, I am highly in favour of having project source files available, even if many of the source instruments are unavailable, simply so you can SEE what the instruments are and what the MIDI data looks like.

Back in the day, SGX made a few of his project files for Reason available and I learned an immense amount from them, including concepts like filter sweeps and off-beat bass for trance. If you're reading this and thinking, "Oh, what a noob, he doesn't even know what a filter sweep is?" then you have been doing music for far too long and have become so embedded into it that you have forgotten that there are people out there who simply aren't as smart as you are.

Back in the day, many people started out with MIDI rips or WAV rips, a drum loop program, and then did a remix overtop some pads. Nowadays, this experimentation is discouraged - it says in big letters not to submit your MIDI rip to OCR. People catch on to this. They realise pretty quickly that there's a "right way" and a "wrong way" to do music.

A project file, even if it has no sounds, is useful for two reasons. First of all, it allows people to analyze the structure of a song. A lot of people don't know how songs work, and as a result, you get arrangements that are difficult to follow. Seeing a project-file, even if it's not laid out that well, gives you a sense of what instruments are active at what times.

Second, it gives you an idea of what the individual notes are in the song. Believe it or not, there are people out there who try remixing without having a clue what a chord is (I was one of these people, and eventually gave up and took piano lessons). Almost every book on "How to use FLStudio" or "How to use Reason" or "How to use Cubase" doesn't go through the process of putting notes that sound good on the piano roll. Again, maybe you're simply too awesome to have ever gone through this phase, but in a video tutorial where they go through a bunch of stuff and then say, "Okay, let's enter a quick bass line. ... there you go." The thousands of unsaid words in that "..." is what someone who's totally new can get out of looking at a project file.

Anyway that's my view on it. If anyone wants some of my Logic Pro project files let me know, though I'm hardly an example of a stellar musician :)

I was talking about this a good while back.

Anyway that's my view on it. If anyone wants some of my Logic Pro project files let me know, though I'm hardly an example of a stellar musician :)

Shoot em on over, I'll take a look.

I've also been mentioning the idea of live collaboration/discussion. What if there were an OCR meetup organized not so much from a social angle, but from a music-making angle? So that people could come, show what they're doing, and maybe offer some advice to other people. VNC/screensharing things would also be good (this is simple between two Macs).