Zelda's Lullabye/Illia's theme (country ballad)

Geoffrey Taucer

http://www.geoffreytaucer.com/wips/lullabye2.mp3

I actually started on this awhile back, and haven't touched it in well over a year; I'm hoping that feedback might motivate me enough to get it finished.

The piano stuff at the end is just random screwing around -- I have no idea what I'm actually going to do there.

I like what I hear so far. This is one of those songs that's not a huge great listen all by itself, but it can easily be great background music for something like a game.

I like the swingy, laidback mood, along with the combination of the two themes.

The piano part at the end sounds like a good start to some improv stuff; would add a nice element of variety, especially the fast part near the end. :)

I've been playing this little diddy since you posted it, even though it's just a short little 2" WIP. I'm not a big poster, I think I'm still in the single digits, but did also want to say that I've really enjoyed all your stuff, in particular Chronicles, Scar Sealing Girl, and Victory Festival. So thanks for all the badass tunes, and really hope you develop this one!

Wow, I really like where this is headed. I'm not usually a fan of country type ballads, but you really sucked me in there. The piano part at the end is a pretty nice idea, but I think it could use some work, maybe a solo? Also, I felt that the transition to the piano part was abit awkward. Keep it up!

EDIT: Upon relistening, I think it's safe to safe the transition isn't awkward. Please disregard that remark. :)

• 1 month later...

Heh, you actually managed to make that country twangyness sound attractive. The acoustic strumming and piano definitely make the genre very enjoyable even though I'm definitely not a fan of it in general.

The drum pattern is an odd choice but I'd say it works pretty well. The piano at the end is brilliant, although it feels weird having such a multi-instrumental track and then breaking it down to a solo piano piece for so long. I'd recommend keeping the general idea you've got now but incorporating another instrument or two in with most of it. Either that, or save that part for the actual ending of the song where it might feel more appropriate to use a solo piano. I personally think the second option would work better, but it'd be good to consider both

Nice work though, I hope this gets finished :-)

Creativity is really the make-or-break factor, and you've demonstrated how it should be done quite well - which is my opinion after listening to many of the beloved remixes here.

The change of pace in the end is perfect for a lead-on into another segment - looking forward to where this goes.

This was lovely, I actually like country music and to be honest I was half expecting to hear Dolly Parton after a few bars. XD

Very nice, it's so simple and relaxing. As a pianist I'm especially fond of the piano. Finish this, it would be a crime if you didn't. =D

I think the overall volume's a bit low, though, but I'm not sure about that since my headphones and speakers seem to be a little off. What do others think?

• 5 months later...

loving this alot, and its strangly given me the idea to mash up ffx's someday the dream will end, with zelda's lullaby :D

cant wait to hear the finished product, i think there lacks a climax, be awsome if you brought out the illia theme a bit more, and upped the bass at that point. :)

I certainly not well-versed in the country drum patterns but the military kinda drum beat you put in there seemed quite weird for me. I was expecting a classic ride, alternating kick and rim-click 6/8 type thing if that makes any sense at all! The snare rolling didn't fit for me at least at this early stage in the song. It sounded more like a kind of build-up thing. But you know, that's just me! I enjoyed it though. I feel the themes themselves are quite removed from the original, mainly because of the chord changes you've made! Which ain't a bad thing but the first time round I couldn't hear the ilia theme so perhaps you could have one section that returned to the original chords or somethin' to solidify the themes, if you want.

Keep it up!