OCR01178 - Chrono Trigger "Through the Dark"

Nothing against Shariq but alot of his songs just don't appeal to me but that's not true with this one

I enjoyed the song quite a bit

It just sounds so peaceful

I love the guitar solo

Excellent job on this one, Darkesword

Btw, what theme from CT is this?

Manoria Cathedral from 600 AD. I also used Wind Scene (the overworld music 600 AD).

• 4 months later...

I'm an absolute bell lover, and DarkeSword has perfectly met my tastes. A perfect blend of bells and guitar make this piece have its own flair and spice but at the same time sticking true to the original melody. Added to the mixing pot are short chorus chords. I love this song!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why I haven't written a review for this song for this long. It's just beautiful. I've never even played Chrono Trigger, and it still struck me as a great piece. This is really one of the songs that inspired me to keep going with my music, in hopes that one day I could make something like this. Definitely a keeper, and one of my favorites for sure.

• 2 months later...

How did I manage to actually not download this one, it´s superb! Shariq has slowed down the tempo on the cathedral theme and made it cooperate with a cool choir that sometimes shows up and say: haaaaaa, very nice.

And the piano, DUDE the piano. It´s beautiful, I like it , no, I love it. The whole first part is only the cathedral theme, and then the wind comes blowing in on guitar, DUDE!! :D8):D

Darkesword, you takes the prize.

• 4 months later...

Using a light techno percussion set with a soothing and melodious orchestra Darkesword gives a wonderful new feel to the piece. Most of the melody comes from either strings or a piano, both of which are beautiful. When the choral hits some in they at emphasis to the downbeat. The amibient guitar then comes in almost giving an island feel to the song. A very good job in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love Darkesword's ability to smoothly introduce instruments to a song. Mysterious and haunting intro (loving the tubular bells). Then the piano comes in, and I am instantly addicted to 4/4 Manoria Cathedral. At 0:50, the break builds just the right amount of tension. Just enough so that it's nearly unbearable, which makes the following "aah" from the choir ever more so...indescribably intense. Flutey arpeggios that begin to play above the piano get passed back and forth between the two ears, and that's my favorite bit from this song. They almost make me want to sob in utter bliss. The last one that leaves the song hanging again leads into Wind Scene, which I really don't have much to talk about until 1:48, when the piano comes in with a high echoing rendition of Manoria Cathedral that bounces between the two ears. Another moment of tension, then everything comes together for a climax. Wonderful guitar melody that counters the piano. More choir and flute love. The end is bittersweet and leaves me begging for more, but I think the end comes at the right time. A longer song might mean repetitive material, and that's what playing songs again is for. Brilliant, this.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Simply, DarkeSword knows how to put a song together. And by that I mean, he knows how to structure a song really well to display restraint and also hit the sweet spots of the melodies. By no means is this mix structurally fresh or risky; it is really quite conservative in that regard. But what is built within is what really counts.

The interweaving of the two melodies in the center of the piece is handled well, I thought. I'm undecided on whether or not that element could have been expanded upon. The idea could quickly grow stale if repeated, however I do think the mix is over too quickly without wringing enough juice from the material. As it stands, Wind Scene achieves a cameo appearance in the piece, whereas it might have served better as a more solid foundation to the main melody.

Regardless, what's here is bright, tranquil and cruisy all at once and seems to really stick with you after a few listens. I'm a fan.

• 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01178 - Chrono Trigger "Through the Dark"
  • 3 years later...