OCR00417 - Command & Conquer "On the Prowl Redux"

Ginnsu

Command & Conquer 'On the Prowl Redux'

YES! I love Command & Conquer (the Red Alert series may have been better, but still) and I love Scott Peeples. Why don’t we mash the two together and see what happens. Massive action flick style cool song madness! My only suggestion would be to give this one a tad more power, because it sounds a tad soft for Command & Conquer. Besides that, I can only say that this is one that you shouldn't miss. Peeples always sets us up with awesome tunes, never fails.

• 2 months later...

This one starts out a bit soft, but you can already tell that it has the Peeples seal of quality. The melody is laid back and jazzy, but with a bit of rockin' to it. Peeples doesn't let us down on this one. Not his best though; it could have used a little more of a strong point.

• 3 months later...

As has been mentioned, there is no actual climax within this song. However it does brings to mind images of commandos slipping into an enemy base at night; movie stuff with a sophisticated set designer and a director who gives the 1-up to typical Hollywood exaggerations and giant explosions. These hollywood commandoes don't make a fuss, they don't make empty threats, they slip in do their job (cleanly and professionally) and try to get out alive again. An interesting way to give a recommendation for this song :wink:

I dunno what the hell you guys are talking about; I loved it.

This is the song that really made Peeples become my favorite recurring OCReMixer (and I say recurring because if mutagene would post more often, he'd be my favorite). I've long considered Frank Klepacki's work to be really damn cool, and hearing remixes of it was just 8O

So anyway, I love the little verbed-out bell sound. It helps retain a lot of the whole sneaking-around vibe that the original had. The drums are pretty groovy, as has been already mentioned. The bass should be made note of because while it has a certain dominant presence, it doesn't overpower everything else, and that's definitely a good thing. Anyway, this remix rocks. Download it. Now.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Come on now you guys. I think this is his best. Great base, Great flow, What more could you want from the guy. I've listened to this song alot and it's one of my top 3 from this site

This Restaurant has really crapy toilet paper
Rehabs For Quiters

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Groove-heavy and funky, if this song won't make you do the DJP, nothing will.

There is a good amount of variation, and the scratching break is fantastic. The source tune itself has a ambient-style melody, and Scott's treatment of it is spot-on. I especially like the way the bass gets mixed up early and often. It plays several varations of the original groove, and keeps things fresh.

I guess i've described the song as both funky and fresh now, so my work here is done.

• 1 year later...

Wow, I never commented on this? Shit, I really thought I did. This was such a big favorite of mine in my olden days in '02. monkofevil's comment that this arrangement actually works better in a C&C environment than the original was something I realized as soon as I first listened to it. Really solid, chill material from Scott, it's a classic.

• 1 year later...

Very chill in it's own right. The bass is what really brings this together. I also want to give props for the background synth that works pretty nicely. Someone mentioned that this doesn't really have a climax, which lends itself to sneaking around and subtly kicking ass. Nice work, though it works as a background track more than anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

Soundscape is the name of the game here and I think Scott does a good job establishing that. The individual samples might not stand out a whole lot taken individually, but as a whole, this track feels like it would be at home within the C&C soundtrack. I'd say samples and some production issues are the main thing holding this back from being a breakout, but it's definitely listenable in its own right.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Woo, Command and Conquer has had some OCR love. A very chilled and ambient mix. The soundscape is really eerie and mysterious. The beat and other choices of synth give this a kind of James Bond/special agent feel. I can certainly see what DJP said about it being a on auto-pilot in some parts. Depsite it being a chilled and steady mix, there could still be a little more life injected in to it.

• 4 years later...

Great remix, very smooth! Love the fact this track is included in the C&C Renegade X game's jukebox! 

If you haven't heard yet, C&C Renegade X is a free game made on the Unreal Tournament 3 engine. Plays like the original with a few improvements, but most importantly, beautiful graphics!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00417 - Command & Conquer "On the Prowl Redux"