OCR01180 - Commander Keen IV "man sieht sich galaxie"

UPDATE:

This mix was linked to on the front page of 3dRealms Official Website. If I were you, analoq, I would be pretty freakin' proud John Romero, even if he sucks, listened to my mix.

Not to threadjack the review, but comments like these make me doubt all the "this site is illegal" comments I sometimes see here.

Well, Romero didn't compose Keen's music. Although in this case, it's okay anyway because Bobby Prince doesn't mind, therefore implying consent (but it'd still be safer to get it in writing). However, just because one guy is okay with other people messing with his compositions doesn't mean everybody else will.

UPDATE:

This mix was linked to on the front page of 3dRealms Official Website. If I were you, analoq, I would be pretty freakin' proud John Romero, even if he sucks, listened to my mix.

Not to threadjack the review, but comments like these make me doubt all the "this site is illegal" comments I sometimes see here.

Well, Romero didn't compose Keen's music. Although in this case, it's okay anyway because Bobby Prince doesn't mind, therefore implying consent (but it'd still be safer to get it in writing). However, just because one guy is okay with other people messing with his compositions doesn't mean everybody else will.

Yeah, I was referring more to the fact that it was linked on the 3drealms website, not anything specifically related to Romero. And I agree that copyright stringency varies from person to person; I'm a huge Calvin & Hobbes fan--Watterson lives about 3 miles away from me--and I've seen a lot of C&H websites get shut down that barely break any rules.

@Snake101

Look at the decription of the remix: :D

http://www.ocremix.org/detailmix.php?mixid=OCR01180

i'm not feeling too good,
about this one,
some kind of surreal expression,
surrealist expressionistic?
whatever.

moving on, 960 galactic alphabet,
960 galactic alphabet!
are you here? please!
thank you.

@analoq

I think the opinions are clear:

You will have to remix another Keen song, as Romero suggested! PLEASE! :D :D :!:

[even if you have to be sick again :wink: LOL]

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Who knows if we'll get anyything that sounds like this ever again. Props to Aaron for making such a unique piece. Back when this debuted for the OCR4 flood, I enjoyed pretty much all of the new mixes that were a part.

djpretzel's Revenge of Shinobi "Consent (Make Me Dance)" was my 2nd favorite and it actually took me a few loops to really appreciate the funked-out electro goodness.

But this one grabbed my ears from the very start. The intro effects and vox were unique. As SOON as the music faded in, I had been hooked.

This track was smooooooooooth to start. And when it switched gears with some more agressive beats, it ended the track with a lot of power. analoq, top of his game.

Nowadays, the guy jokes that he's lost it. If even 1% of our submissions ever "found it" the way this guy did...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

You know, sometimes I feel like analoq used to make the same mix over and over. I almost always like his mixes a lot cause he does what he does really well, but they're usually variants of the same thing. Phat rhodes-ish sounds, funky bassline, relaxed 4/4 beat, slightly jazzy. It's not a good or bad thing really, just an observation. His mixes are weird, funky little self-contained worlds. You could be an incredibly talented musician and still never achieve that kind of assurance and uniqueness in your sound that analoq has (or at least had...from what larry is saying) in his.

This is one of my favorites of his. He just throws a bunch of different ideas into one pot and they work while still sounding very much part of the same world. The crazy fx at the beginning and the distorted talking might be my favorite part, if not for the very nice brief piano outro (I also really like the way the piano was sound processed to sound kinda distant and lo-fi). The Kraftwerk references are kinda goofy, but he pulls them off with a straight face and they work.

Commander Keen 4-6 were so great, more mixes! Especially more like this!

Amusing intro from Analoq here, you really can hear how sick he sounds. Production is very clean and I love the generally chilled vibe. Good use of multiple EPs/Rhodes specifically, which work very cohesively with the drums and bass. Nice changeup at 2:35 with something unexpected. The synth string stabs in particular really appeal to me for some reason. This song's been on my OCR playlist for quite some time and won't be leaving any time soon.

• 4 months later...

Wow, what a reinvention of the original tune. Takes what is probably the most memorable song it in the entire Keen franchise into a completely unexpected direction.

Cool Euro krautrock sort of vibe going on. I think the voicework makes the piece myself, but it would work adequately enough without it too. The synths are excellent and are right where they need to be in terms of volume and pitch. What's great is that there is atmosphere without compromising coherence or variety. The diversity of ideas, sounds and textures is amazing.

It's quite a unique track, and not one I would have thought would appeal to the vast majority of listeners. But this thread has proven me wrong, to my pleasant surprise. Good to see awesome music get some much-deserved respect.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting and funky take on the source, and the vocal stuff really keeps it fresh and unique.The first listen caught my attention because of the talking, and the beats and synths kept my attention to the end, and before I knew it, I was hitting repeat.

The relaxed feeling this has is infectious, and I really enjoyed it.

• 7 months later...

We definately need more Commander Keen remixes. :)

No arguments there. From what I've heard so far, the games have quite a quirky selection of music. This ReMix is quirky as well, but in the best possible way. The distorted dialogue intro definitely caught my attention, while the rest of the song kept it from escaping until the very end. Good shtuffs.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01180 - Commander Keen IV "man sieht sich galaxie"