Alien Versus Predator Demo

The Damned

Anyone else get this?

Or, for that matter, anyone else get it to work?

I've waited up to 30 minutes to get into a game, only to have it crash and then go right to the "pre-order now" screen on Steam.

I can only hope that this isn't even remotely how it will work in the final version.

For those that have managed to play it, care to share your thoughts on it?

Can't say I got much play into it as I just tried it for five minutes before I had to leave for work.

As far as I know, I find myself preferring the Predators, though the humans are pretty much middle range imo, balanced but nothing special or extraordinary. They do however have the weaponry and equipment that you may recall from the old films.

the Xenomorphs pretty much have to be up close to kill.

Predators however are fun in their own way as far as I've seen.

as for the info...

Aliens vs. Predator is a science fiction first-person shooter video game in development by Rebellion Developments, the team behind the 1999 original PC game, and set to be published by Sega for Microsoft Windows, the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. The game is a first-person shooter based on a combination of the characters and creatures of the Alien franchise and the Predator franchise. It is to be released on February 16, 2010, in the U.S., and on February 19, 2010, in Europe.

Demo for now but it's releasing soon.

OK, so it seems that they patched multiplayer, because the demo reinstalled, and then I was able to get into a game in under thirty seconds.

I do wish there was a way to decide which species you play as. It seem to be randomly determined.

I hope the full games will have tutorials and maybe some single-player stuff. I know multiplayer online is the thing now, but come on, a little bit of story never hurt.

It seems to be much more fast-paced than the previous games. I think the longest I lasted was about a minute. It also doesn't help that the patch seems to have reset my controls, and every time I tried to redo them, I was getting killed.

Seeing how I only got to play as a marine, I can't comment about the alien or predator. Seriously, random species selection?

The selection of species isn't random (assuming that you're on the PC). Just click on the big ass picture of the class and it'll switch you...unless the other classes have reached their limit.

Anyways, I really like the game. I've never played the earlier ones, but it's obvious to me that this one has been dumbed down to fit easier on console controllers. Still, it's fine; it's a lotta fun.

I have a few gripes with the game, specifically the way that the Aliens control...the ability to walk on walls and ceilings is one of the cooler things I've experienced in a game so far this year (the other being Braid; I know, I was late to the party)....but it seems a little broken. I understand that walking on the walls is cool, but when I jump, I don't want to always jump on the walls: sometimes I just wanna jump. Probably a simplification for console gamers, but fairly aggravating all the same.

As for the melee system, I feel that it needs a little bit of...I dunno, explaining. It's not terribly deep, being not much more than a big game of rock/paper/scissors. Light Attacks (LA) are quicker and therefore beat out Heavy Attacks (HA) which take forever to use, but break through blocking, while blocking can block LAs.

LAs > HAs > blocking > LAs

I haven't gotten to play much (maybe 2 rounds of Alien and Marine, one of Predator), but something I did just figure out is that the whole 'hit stun' thing, where you've just been hit by an attack, seems to be purely cosmetic...I don't think that it actually stops you from doing anything. The Marine, especially, is strong in this area: middle clicking (or meleeing) after being hit pretty much stuns them and gives you the ability to kill 'em dead.

TL;DR: Fun game overall, making up for the fact that it's a pure port from the console versions. A little polish could be nice, but hey, watcha gonna do? The melee system is simple, but once we all get the hang of it, I feel like it'll be better.

Yikes... I think I'll hold off on the demo.

I already pre-ordered it a while back in the hope that it would be at least half as fun as the first two. Playing as the marine in the original was pure dread and panic. The whole atmosphere of it would creep me the fuck out- the lack of light, xenos scurrying all around you, and the sound of the motion tracker. Hard to believe that was over a decade ago.

Beta version of not, this is not the way to show people what you've got. They should have waited longer and released a more stable, usable demo instead. This is killing my interest in the actual game.

Is it too early to call this the "video game blunder of the year"? It's at least going to make the top ten lists. Depending upon what else goes on, I can see this being around number 6.

• 2 weeks later...