Free/indie games

The Pezman

Games that are shareware, freeware, or personal projects may or may not be accepted at our discretion. We strongly recommend arranging music from commercial releases to avoid any problems.

I was wondering about this section of the submission standards. Why was it put in place, and what is generally the way that the judges decide when a mix from a game within this category is submitted?

I would assume it's so someone can't just slap together a Flash game in 5 minutes so they can stick an original track in it and arrange it. If an indie game has *any* sort of popularity at all, I don't see there being a problem arranging a track for it. Knowing Larry though, I am sort of curious what the absolute, definite criteria are on the matter.

Yo Final Fantasy, I'm real happy for you and I'ma let you finish, but Touhou is the most remixed game of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

(I'm serious, go to VGMdb and see for yourself.)

500GB+ of remix albums and counting~! :lol:

Another note what may give it an exception can be its popularity, at least seen on the internet.

Seriously when

makes a mention... actually no they fucked up on that report. :lol:

I would assume it's so someone can't just slap together a Flash game in 5 minutes so they can stick an original track in it and arrange it. If an indie game has *any* sort of popularity at all, I don't see there being a problem arranging a track for it. Knowing Larry though, I am sort of curious what the absolute, definite criteria are on the matter.

There is no absolute, definite criteria. We have the discretion to handle situations like that on a case by case basis. But everything you said is pretty dead on as far as how we'd decide on something being OK as a game source.