OCR02029 - *YES* Metroid Prime 'Samus's Lonesome Waltz'

OceansAndrew

Might be DP material, but it's a newcomer, so i'm paneling it to be safe.

Your ReMixer name: blackguitar

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: I have one, but I cannot retrieve my password. Username is the same as the ReMixer name.

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Metroid Prime

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Track Number 2 from the OST / “Menu Select”

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

This remix had been planned and begun nearly six years ago when I was making my first experiences with software synthesizers. The actual mix was now made from scratch again. The three main parts of the melody are subject to differ each time they appear in order to remain interesting, although I like the natural catchiness of the tune. When I played the game, I liked the constant feeling of being lonely against the hordes of enemies. In my opinion is this what the melody delivers. Nothing could sound more tragic like a heavy metal ballad, so here is my remix. I hope it is accepted.

source:

You've got a distinct Opeth-type thing going on here with the acoustic intro leading into metal. Awesome writing in terms of melodic expansion and interpretation. Right off the bat I dig that you took the melody for your own after the initial hook. The arrangement just continues up and away managing to escalate and escalate and never get boring. I'm amazed at the energy that is sustained.

On the technical end, this is easily the slickest metal production we have on OCRemix. The mixing is great, the guitars sound great. If I must complain about something, the kick sounds just a bit papery, even for the genre. I'd dip out a little bit at 1kHz and maybe boost a bit around 3kHz. Sounds like you used a Beta52 perhaps just a bit too close to the head. The other thing is that I might like to hear a bit more reverb on the snare. But really these things are just nitpicks.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
On the technical end, this is easily the slickest metal production we have on OCRemix. The mixing is great, the guitars sound great.

I would disagree with this, and in my opinion, I was not a huge fan of the electric guitar tone. I can't help but listen to this and wish that a slightly different set of FX were used for the rhythm guitar, and that the midrange was pulled back just a bit.

That being said, this is still easily DP material. Awesome arrangement and performance and solid mixing.

YES

I really love this, there's a ton of variety within what is a pretty basic source. There really aren't a lot of original sections here - almost all of this uses source - but every iteration handles the source differently. And then what is original is seamlessly led into. Love that acoustic intro that adds some Spanish flair that I would have never expected. A very well-crafted, enjoyable arrangement.

While a great production, I don't know if I'd go as far as saying the best either. Those rhythm guitars could be more pushed back and muted to give some breathing room. But that starts to get into personal taste. Definitely a pass.

YES

Source of the forever, not lying.

Seriously, this is very tight and definitely something that could've been a candidate for a DP. The only thing keeping it back in my opinion is the production, main rhythm guitar lacks body, the mix could use some more bass, the cymbals sound fimsy and the leads could be more upfront. That's just nitpicking though, this is definitely great overall. Creative arrangement of a limited source, good production and superb performance. Nice work!

YES