Final Fantasy 8 remix (The Extreme): untitled as of yet

Nekofrog

http://tindeck.com/listen/elsc

Just did this for starla's OHC. Had to do it on a regular pair of $15 headphones as my mixing headphones are completely dead, so there's a lot of clipping issues (especially near the end), and the mix in general may be a bit off.

It doesn't stray far from the source for the first minute and a quarter, but you can hear it start to deviate before it gets cut off. Really looking forward to finishing this one.

What do you think of it?

You only like it?!? This is what I've been waiting for!

I LOVE the direction this is going. Just a couple comments on the production:

• The arpeggiating tone is pushed all the way to stereo-left, which seems a little, well, extreme. You tried counter-balancing with the guitar panned right, but it still seems too split. Maybe you could bring both those in towards the middle.
  • Keep the melody a bit clearer. That opening has a fascinating lilt to it, don't let the other parts drown it!

I love this remix too, it's definitely hard enough to fit the boss theme!

I'm afraid I can't give you much advice because I'm an amateur (:grin:), but I'd like to comment on the vibrato violin you're using in the background, at times it gets cut off a little bit, maybe you should try using another sample that doesn't have vibrato for the shorter notes. Maybe that's just me, though.

Either way it sounds absolutely brilliant, I hope you finish it soon!

It starts great. The beginning makes you get the instant recognition because, as you mentioned, it sounds just like the original. Then you kick it into high gear and, as Sir_Downunder mentioned, it gets "really, really awesome."

I would love to hear more but this really sounds the kick-ass song you want to hear when you are ready to win that last set of battles.

Not much to say except what's already been said - a Nekofrog remix of the Extreme would be great.

However, it irks me that you simplified the progression in the beginning - that arpeggio moves from a tonic to a dominant suspension in your remix, while the original actually moved to a dominant triad... If you did that for your own personal reasons then don't worry about it, obviously (nothing wrong with changing the source a little bit). However, the augmented chord that arose in the original due to the neighboring motion was one of the most interesting parts about that intro in the original source, and it'd be a loss if it wasn't represented here in one way or another :(

Yeah, the biggest nitpick ever, but it was one of my favorite parts that I don't here so I thought I'd point it out. Otherwise, this is awesome/epic/fill-in-the-usual-Nekofrog-comment-here WIP. Keep it up!

Sorry 'bout that...

Basically, I'm saying that the arpeggios you use in the very beginning are different than the source. Normally I don't care about that sort of thing (this IS a remix, after all), but the change that's present here alters something that was very powerful in the source, thus dampening the effect overall. Listen to the arpeggios in the beginning of the source and compare them directly to your mix and you'll hear what I mean.

Of course, if you like it there's also no problem keeping things the way they are - this is a personal preference of mine :).

• 3 weeks later...

Having worked on a remix of this piece for nine months (insert shameless plug to rejected remix http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16805), I can say with some authority that there are definitely some little changes with the intro arpeggios. I'd also agree with Gario that they're not for the better. But there's a ton of room for variation on these arpeggios -- take another shot at 'em. An example of great arpeggio variation is in BGC's remix of FF7 Bombing Mission, starting at 2:07 of the remix.

Also, the section between 0:18 and 0:32 (in your track, not BGC's) sounds weird -- I think the timing of the two arpeggios is off, like the notes aren't being played quite at the same time when they should be. Still, the sound quality overall is a hell of a lot better than mine, so good job on that.

But seriously, this needs more variation on everything -- right now, it's virtually identical to the original, just with different instruments.