Final Fantasy Remix (The Prelude): Prelude to Fantasy

Archangel

I hope I'm putting this thread in the right place. I apologise if not, I'm still kind of new here.

This is my version of the traditional Prelude. The soundtrack of Final Fantasy XIII doesn't include it, so I decided to make one myself. :grin:

You can listen to it here:

Or better yet (since Youtube's quality is horrible and makes my remix look even sloppier than it already is :grin:):

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakacibejarchangel

Tell me what you think, I'd appreciate any kind of advice. :razz:

Ah, so mellow! I love it!

I'm really liking how you've kept the arpeggios from the original but added the little extra grace notes in between - it's true to the source and unique all at the same time. I also like how the piano seems to be a bit distant.

The choir bit at the end was a nice touch, though it seems a little choppy in the middle part, when switching notes.

I totally don't know what I'm talking about, haha! But I really do like this mix and would put it on my iPod in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow...horrible. It sucks. Wtf did you DO!

lol I'm kidding. This is purely epic. I love EVERYTHING about it, but I'll have to agree with fixing up the choir a bit. But even with something as minor as that, it doesn't hurt the remix in any way. I officially <3 you for this. xD

Keep up the amazing work man.

Hold on... I'm getting lost in this one...

Alright, it's official - this is badass. It's very, very well done (and I don't just say these things). Beautiful orchestration, great samples, excellent production. I love the reverb on the piano - it takes it out of reality just enough for it to be fitting to the style.

Yeah, if I don't say anything bad about something that generally means it's pretty close to perfection. Normally, for a song that's this conservative I'd say you need to vary it up in order to get it on OCR, but I think this is an exception. This needs to go on this site, so submit it, damnit.

EDIT: I'm trying to dl this thing, but it's givin' me trouble. Help? :(

EDIT2: Wait, I think I know the problem... nm, lol.

I agree that this is a freaking flawless COVER of the FF Prelude. I freaking love the chorus part near the end. But I DO wonder if this would pass arrangement aspect of the judgement. I know there are some songs out there that keep the same form as the originals but I just don't know. However, it seems like EVERYONE here thinks it belongs on the site as is, so maybe you've got a winner. Submit and see what the judgement is.

I know, right? I can't speak for the J's, but I feel the arrangement of the instruments, the atmosphere, etc., are enough of a variation. Again, OCR may or may not accept this based on the conservative nature of this, but it's certainly worth the shot.

Archangel, if you want to be sure, send a PM to either a judge or to Zircon (a former judge) and ask one of them about it, if you want to put it on here. They'd have a far better idea on whether the conservative... thing would affect it's chances.

Funny, I'm assuming you want to put it up here - it's ultimately up to you, after all :)

Oh, and this prelude song probably isn't in FFXIII because Nobuo Uematsu isn't involved in the soundtrack. Rights to the song and all... :)

Damn, that's fantastic. Awesome choir sample, and is that an oboe and violin doubling the melody? Has almost a saxophone texture to it, sounds great.

The structure will be the sticking point if they don't take it, but there's nothing else stopping it, I don't think. I think it's definitely worth submitting.

Wow, thank you so much for the wonderful comments everyone, I really appreciate it!

lol I'm kidding. This is purely epic. I love EVERYTHING about it, but I'll have to agree with fixing up the choir a bit. But even with something as minor as that, it doesn't hurt the remix in any way. I officially <3 you for this.

You're welcome, hehe, I'm very glad you like it! I may get back to the choir once, I'm just not in the mood for it now, I have so many other projects (plus university stuff) that I just can't afford to dabble in old remixes now, hehe. =D

This needs to go on this site, so submit it, damnit.

I think it's definitely worth submitting.

Thanks, hehe. Actually, I've already submitted it a couple of weeks ago, but I never expected it to pass (and I still don't think it will). But that's not really the point now, is it? The main thing is it's nice to see that people like it. =D

Oh, and this prelude song probably isn't in FFXIII because Nobuo Uematsu isn't involved in the soundtrack. Rights to the song and all... :)

Ah, could be, yes. Though I still think it's sacrilege not to have the Prelude in a Final Fantasy game. XD

I am curious as to what all programs you generally use if you don't mind me asking by the way. I liked the other stuff you put up on reverbnation a lot also, so I guess it sparked my interest.

Not at all! I use a lot of Eastwest stuff (Symphonic Orchestra, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Stormdrum etc.) and some other stuff as well. For sequencing and mixing, I use FL Studio. If you'd like to know more just send me a message. =)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's tough to say. The orchestration is obviously amazing - you've really made a name for yourself with these brilliant orchestral compositions lately, and I think this one's a must-listen regardless of whether it's too conservative.

My gut tells me that this is too conservative to pass the OCR panel, but it's worth a shot I suppose. This is one of those mixes where the sound quality and orchestration is good enough to warrant at least giving it a chance to be on OCR. I'd also highly recommend submitting this to R:TS so you can get it some more immediate exposure.

Good work, I don't really think this is OCR material but you've got a talent for making this sort of music and I can't wait to hear more from you!

To be honest i think that this is the best of the prelude remixes Ive heard. Ever!
The orchestration is obviously amazing - you've really made a name for yourself with these brilliant orchestral compositions lately, and I think this one's a must-listen regardless of whether it's too conservative.

Thanks a lot for your comments, guys, I really appreciate it. =)

I really hope it makes it past the judges panel! not just so it can be on OCremix, but that more ppl will be able to hear this!
My gut tells me that this is too conservative to pass the OCR panel, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Yeah, to be honest, I don't think it will pass either, I didn't really follow the OCRemix guidelines when I was remixing, but then I said to myself that there was probably no harm in trying, so I submitted it. We all know the result, I guess, we'll just have to wait until, I don't know, MAY or JUNE to confirm it. =D

Not to worry, though, I'll do something more OCRemix-friendly the next time I remix something. Any requests? =D

Any requests?

Dude, if your next ReMix is even half as good as this one, it won't matter what game its from! I'll listen to it anyway!

Very awesome. Thouroughly enjoyed that. My only qualm is that my attempt to download it froze my browser :(. Perhaps putting it up on mediafire or somesuch media hosting site?

I look forward to hearing more music from you!