Fallout: New Vegas

Brushfire

Could this trailer be any LESS like the Fallout 3 trailer?

Apparently this one's dev team is being lead by the guys who made Fallout 1 and 2, so there's some added incentive to play it. Mind you, I've only played Fallout 3 so I missed out on the originals. Makes me wonder how different this one will be from Fallout 3 (considering that when Fallout 3 came out, all the purists were saying it felt nothing like a Fallout game)

It's a new game made with the same engine as Fallout 3. Obsidian has a lot of ex-Black Isle guys who worked on the original Fallout games.

If you've played Fallout 2 you'll know that the US west coast has been gradually recovering (Bethesda chose the east coast for 3 so they could "reboot" and have everything smashed up again) from the war. There's a functioning government called the New Californian Republic and it's their flag you can see at the end of the trailer. There was also New Reno in Fallout 2 which had suffered less structural damage from the war, and New Vegas looks to be similar.

Also looks like Ron Perlman will be in it.

They know full well by now that they can't afford not to have him. He wasn't in Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, and look how that turned out.

Granted, that might have been something to do with the game not being very good, but only partially. The main problem was that it had a big, gaping, Ron Perlman-shaped hole in it.

EDIT: Oh hey. I actually recognise the obligatory 1930s-1950s ballad this time.

Also, I'd better be able to get one of those coats.

It's a new game made with the same engine as Fallout 3.

Well that sucks. I hate the Gamebryo engine, or at least Bethesda's version of it. CTD's, stuttering, memory leaks; bleh.

And I hope to god that the crappy animations of Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3 will be a thing of the past with NV.

Playing Fallout 3 again at the mo, looking forward to this one. I must say the slight return to technology/normalcy within a Fallout setting intrigues me, as 3 was just completely barren.

I'm kinda stuck wrapping my head around that one, too. It sounds like there's more political intriguing going on with the New Californian Republic coming back and all.

I don't know if anyone else has thought of this, but a Fallout USA would be totally awesome. Think about it: you could travel to any US city, spreading GECK-based hope to the places that've been badly poisoned or bringing down the hammer and robbing places blind. I think that'd be so awesome - I am aware of the differences, but WoW's world is huge.

Of course, to store that on one computer isn't exactly a likelihood. :tomatoface:

There are some magazine scans from PC Gamer UK out there. Unfortunately it looks very much like Fallout 3, it's first person and uses the same combat mechanics as Fallout 3 with some slight alterations.

Doesn't mean Obsidian won't be handling their own animations though. They're not the best in the world but they're easily better than Bethesda. One thing that absolutely has to go is the trademark Bethesda way of having NPCs stand still like statues when you're talking to them.

I was optimistic about Fallout 3 before its release, but after I played it I switched to the Oblivion with guns crowd and haven't cared for it since. I hope Obsidian can at least do some significant damage control on what they have to work with.

I don't understand what the problem was with Fallout 3. It had the same kind of character building as the earlier games, the same sort of humor, same kind of plot, same kind of atmosphere. It's just presented at a different angle.

Gecko, you once criticized JRPGs because they're sticking to a turn-based system that was only used because there was nothing better. You should applaud Fallout 3 for moving forward instead of just sticking to a primitive, turn-based, grid combat system.

Fallout 3 removes much of the tactical aspect of the combat by getting rid of action points for movement as such (and in turn, some depth is lost from character building is removed as the previous games had things like perks for additional action points). It's not as much moving forward as it is changing the combat to a more twitch/action-y experience. The mechanics of the previous games are a far cry from the DQ/FF-style combat BTW.

Anyway, the combat itself really doesn't bug me too much, it's just the rest of Fallout 3 that doesn't feel right to me. It's a nice game overall I guess, but with all the shortcomings I've come to expect from Bethesda which they will seemingly never improve upon. Like the aformentioned terrible animations, the single open world feeling so small and compressed, etc. There were also plot elements that mostly felt like weak rehashes of the old games, like the Enclave boss being an amalgam of the F1 and F2 antagonists. It just gave me the same feeling as when they just copypasted the villain and the car scene in Highlander 3 from Highlander 1.

Oblivion with guns

I find myself wondering once again why this is considered a bad thing. I haven't played any of the other Fallouts myself, and I realize that it's a significant change from the original system, but that doesn't automatically mean it sucks.

I will give you that Bethesda never seems to improve on its faults (namely animations and the fact that, while they develop brilliant settings, they can't tell a story to save their lives), though, which is certainly annoying. Hopefully being done by Obsidian rather than Bethesda will help improve those in New Vegas.

I find myself wondering once again why this is considered a bad thing. I haven't played any of the other Fallouts myself, and I realize that it's a significant change from the original system, but that doesn't automatically mean it sucks.

Or at least it wouldn't if Oblivion itself didn't suck.

Well, sure, if you didn't like Oblivion then I can see why you wouldn't like Fallout 3. But it seems like most of the people I see complaining about "Oblivion with guns" liked Oblivion, but not Fallout 3.

I've never played Oblivion, but my guess is that for those who played and liked Oblivion, Fallout 3 doesn't really provide much "new" for them.

I didn't enjoy Oblivion at all. It was all boring and unengaging. Even if Fallout is just oblivion with guns, the difference is that Fallout 3's setting is way more original/encapsulating, the music was beautifully ironic and there was a lot more humour and all of that added up to something that was noticeably more characterized and certainly kept my attention.

If you're gonna do a medieval fantasy RPG setting like oblivion, it has to be superb by now or people will have already been there and bought the t-shirt.