N/A

Native Dialect

the arrangement and song structure is extremely close to the source (not to mention the exact same length), with some drum loops underneath. ending cuts off midphrase, which seems a little too strange to be intentional.

can't really accurately comment on sound quality or production (for future reference, mp3's are nice ;-)), but the synths are pretty vanilla and some of the sequencing (the lead at :55 for example) has slight timing issues.

needs some more personality. don't be afraid to put more original writing in your future works ;)

Shoot me an e-mail at The_Native_Dialect@yahoo.com

I will give you the RSN file, Takio samples and soundfonts to prove that this is not a midi rip at all. Yes the drums are break loops (excluding the Taiko segment), but the rest of this is original work, including the piano motif that is reoccurring (I played that out, no sample). The bass work, the synth progressions, the hi-hats etc, are all sequenced or played out by me. But I suppose it is flattering in an odd way to be accused of midi ripping. It would be nice if I lacked the integrity to do something like that. I am sure my music would sound far more crowd pleasing since it would be built on the back of somebody else's work, but unfortunately I have the integrity to do things myself. So I am forced to present my own labors. Honestly, I am not sure how you even thought that this was a midi rip since the bass line, the underlying synth progression and the additional random synth noise I placed in the background, are nothing like the original piece. But like I said, it is some what flattering.

I will consider your advice about putting more of myself into this mix. I had been considering a guitar segment but decided not to out of sheer laziness on my part to hook up my equipment. But perhaps it will add to the "personality" of the track, by adding a hard edge to an otherwise down tempo track. Thank you for listening.

Shoot me an e-mail at The_Native_Dialect@yahoo.com

I will give you the RSN file, Takio samples and soundfonts to prove that this is not a midi rip at all. Yes the drums are break loops (excluding the Taiko segment), but the rest of this is original work, including the piano motif that is reoccurring (I played that out, no sample). The bass work, the synth progressions, the hi-hats etc, are all sequenced or played out by me. But I suppose it is flattering in an odd way to be accused of midi ripping. It would be nice if I lacked the integrity to do something like that. I am sure my music would sound far more crowd pleasing since it would be built on the back of somebody else's work, but unfortunately I have the integrity to do things myself. So I am forced to present my own labors. Honestly, I am not sure how you even thought that this was a midi rip since the bass line, the underlying synth progression and the additional random synth noise I placed in the background, are nothing like the original piece. But like I said, it is some what flattering.

I will consider your advice about putting more of myself into this mix. I had been considering a guitar segment but decided not to out of sheer laziness on my part to hook up my equipment. But perhaps it will add to the "personality" of the track, by adding a hard edge to an otherwise down tempo track. Thank you for listening.

i apologize for the accusation, and it's okay, i don't need to see it with my own eyes. i still get the same impression from this track - that it's just more of a cover than an arrangement.

Good on you for subbing a track from a game that doesn't have any exposer on the site.

That said, the chances of this getting past the judges is pretty much non-existant, sorry to put it so bluntly, but thats how it is, their standards are much higher than some people new to the site expect. Also, don't expect them to be any more forgiving than my man halc here :P

There is alot of ways you can make this better - better samples, more personalized arrangement - what I mean here is add your own twist to it, change the chords under the melody, variate the melody notes and rhythms, add your own backings, do it in a completely different style or tempo, add original sections, breakdowns or solos... a different key is a good idea as well (all you need to do is transpose the whole thing up or down a few semitones when your done as long as its all sequenced)

I also think you could do with filling out the soundscape some, make it sound nice and full ;)

as for length, its a little short, if you want something to be accepted on the site, it really needs to be over 2 minutes in length.

Basically just keep working at this one, and when your mix gets rejected by the judges, which it will, try not to take everything they say to heart, they might be harsh.

Hope you find this info helpful.

@halc

I still have no clue how you get that impression even though there are no midi versions of this song on the internet. As a matter of fact, I may be the first person on the Internet to post a cover/remix/arrangement for this game, let alone this song. But you are welcome to your thoughts. In a way, I still find it flattering. The implication of your statement, intended or not, is that my song sounds competent enough to have been the work of somebody else far more proficient in music creation. Being accused of stealing from myself must make me one heck of a novice song writer haha.

@Willrock

Oh I never take any submission I make to OCR seriously. I do find it problematic that most of the WiP posts and perhaps half of the site content are devoted to the same short list;

-Donkey Kong Country

-Final Fantasy (pick one)

-Chrono (Trigger or Cross, pick one)

-Doom

-Earthbound

-Castlevania

-Super Mario (pick one)

I tend to submit tracks for games that have no representation on this site. One of these days, somebody will get up the nerve not only to tell me that I suck, but that they can do better. And when that day comes, I will challenge them to create a better take on what I have presented. When that happens, this site will see something from a game that has been ignored and i'll be a happier man for it.

I am not a music major, nor do I intend to be. I create mixes simply to re-imagine existing work, promote video game music as a legitimate format of production (much like proving that comics are literature) and most importantly, for the sake of sharing ideas and inspiring others. My music is already hosted on Youtube. I am in no need for what OCR offers (a place to host music). And I am not interested in any "prestige" associated with being accepted. The fun is in the process for me, not the end result.

So with all that said, I know they will reject my mix, and I welcome it. Anyone is welcome to outperform what I have shared here today, and perhaps we will all be blessed enough to hear a mix for an otherwise ignored game.

It sounds very groovy, I think it would make a good soundtrack for a car chase movie. :wink: I like the synths!

I do have one comment though, it's about the taiko part in the middle. I know it's kind of short, but it still sounds a bit too repetitive to me, I would change it a bit or maybe add another form of percussion just to avoid the song being stuck in a loop.

Also, a better ending would be nice, it's too sudden for my taste.

But overall, a nice mix for a game I don't even know. It's good that there's still someone who's not stuck at Final Fantasy (like myself :-P). Keep up the good work!

sorry for my directness - you're right, there is more arrangement here than i gave you credit for. i may have been a little unfocused earlier - a lot of source elements are closely retained but i can hear the differences clearly now that i've given both a few good listens.

carry on :3

No worries. Mistakes happen. At the end of the day, we all love video games or at least video game music. So we should all have more kind things to say to one another based on that fact alone. Take care.

It sounds very groovy, I think it would make a good soundtrack for a car chase movie. :wink: I like the synths!

I do have one comment though, it's about the taiko part in the middle. I know it's kind of short, but it still sounds a bit too repetitive to me, I would change it a bit or maybe add another form of percussion just to avoid the song being stuck in a loop.

Also, a better ending would be nice, it's too sudden for my taste.

But overall, a nice mix for a game I don't even know. It's good that there's still someone who's not stuck at Final Fantasy (like myself :-P). Keep up the good work!

I usually go for track fades, but lately I have been trying out hard stops. I guess I will have to work on that. Also, I agree some what that I could have done better with that Taiko section. I originally wanted to put a guitar part there, but my girlfriend was sleeping at the time that I had made this arrangement, so Taiko drums were the other option haha.

Your pursuit is pretty noble, I'll commend you on that. I really feel that this site needs more diversity on what the users submit. When you start reading the topic names and many of them are "Yes, another Schala remix" and the countless "FF x", it starts getting down on you, especially with awesome music from other games, like No More Heroes.

The song is really to short to judge objectively, since it is hard to display originality and also the source in less than two minutes. Shinobu's voice was nice, but I think it would sound better if it was sprinkled all around the song.