OCR01185 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "The Darkness and the Light"

For the record, neither McV nor myself were aware of the others' intentions of remixing zelda 3 pieces. And I'm glad we weren't. Because this is quite beautiful and haunting. McV has never had trouble picking instruments that sound right together and then writing GOOD parts for them, and this is no exception. Nice time signature changes also. From 4/4 to 5/4 to 3/4 to 6/4. And I only wish I had beaten this game more recently, 'cause I don't recognize that ending theme for the life of me. Beautiful regardless. A seamless mix of styles. Awesome ending. I feel like I'm not saying exactly what I'm meaning here, so I'll cut it short. But seriously. Great work Vaf. Glad to see you've still got time to sound awesome!

D

This piece is utterly amazing. The drums are varied and always perfect, the transitions are oh-so-smooth, and the changes in tempo are eternally appropriate. This remix really reminds me why I love the Zelda series so much.

Anyway, TheDarknessandtheLight is easily my favorite new mix of this year. It's an emotional piece that really exemplifies the Zelda series perfectly. McVaffe, thanks for creating a superb arrangement; whenever I think of Zelda: A Link to the Past, I'll definitely hear this in my head.

apparently i forgot to post my love for this remix the other day.

I love the flawless transitions between themes, and how the remix doesn't feel stale in any parts. of course its McVaffe, so the qualities like deliciously there. and my favorite thing, is that the remix seems successed in conveying emotion. it makes me haaaaappy.

its just very spoon.

I was excited when I saw we had something new from McVaffe. If we don't hear from him again in awhile (which seems likely), this is still a good note to go off on. Absolutely awesome mix. It's been awhile since we've gotten some good Zelda 3 love, and now we have two amazing mixes posted in the same day. It's no unappreciated.

saw a new zelda 3 mix up and i was thilled. downloaded it immediately. listened. I really liekd the tak eonthe darkworld them at the begginning. the take on the main theme at the end was great too but that middle segment..the end credits....frankly.. it can only be described as legendary. Its flat out amazing and I love it. I oculd listen to it over and over again. and i have to tell you as i listeend to that part of this song, i felt tears well up in my eyes. It was amazing. things so rarely move me in that way, yet for some reason this one did. and I thank you for it. a permamanet edition to my inventory of favorite music. thanks McVaffe

WOW! This is incredible! Not only is is a awesome arrangement of favorite Koji Kondo theme ("Dark World"), but it seemlessly blends with the excellent Credits theme and famous Light World theme. The instruments are spec-tacular! I want to hear more instruments like these. Man, I can't give a review worthy of this. Just take a listen and enjoy it yourself. :D

Any chance of somebody hooking me up with a higher-quality version of this song? (I'm talking bitrate here.) I'll even take the raw WAV if somebody has it. :wink:

I practically died when I saw a new McVaffe mix up on the front page when OCR4 went live. McVaffe is my favorite remixer by a long shot, and as I've mentioned in other reviews, I pretty much *expect* each new song I hear by him to be kickass. And from his remixes, to his original stuff, and to this new release, he has never failed to be awesome.

This is a really fantastic medley, with the usual superb, well-implemented choice of instruments. The time signature changes and transition are well done, and the flow of the song is never broken. It's rare to hear someone use meaty drums with a full orchestral suite and ethnic percussion, but somehow, McVaffe does it, and does it well. Not only is the arrangement most excellent, really bringing out the best in the original themes and varying them, but the execution is flawless.

two thumbs up!

Man, I didnt have access to the internet for almost two weeks, and I come back and the site has its new layout AND there are a ton of new mixes by wonderful remixers. Naturally, after seeing that McVaffe had a new mix up I downloaded it right away. What's really awesome is parts of it were in the McV 2003 preview so it was cool hearing the full length song. The bells are really cool, it gives it a unique feel. The whole song is smooth, and the parts fit together nicely. The song is laid back and relaxing, sounds reminescent(sp?). Awesome work as usual Mike, I'm so glad you got around to doing this.

~Blue

When I saw that McVaffe was back, and that it was with some LTTP stuff(one of my favorate Zelda games easily), that along with all the other new stuff on the site made me want to cream my pants. Even better, it includes the credit roll theme which I've desperately wanted someone to remix forever. This is absolutely beatiful, the drums are really cool, the flute and piano sound awesome, and the arrangement is jaw dropping. This is easily the best new remix I've heard in a while(although KRool Intentions also owns my life).

It really says something when a single remix can inspire even the laziest person to undergo that annoying process called 'registration'. Despite the fact that I've visited this site for who knows how long, and am indeed a hardcore groupie for McVaffe, this remix just tops it all off for me. I can't sit aside and pass up the chance of commenting on his pure genius any longer. Excellent, excellent listening. I'm not being biased, either, his remixing is simply amazing! I'm not very good at critiquing, but can assuredly reflect my personal opinion for this lovely collaboration of sound. I was wondering when I'd see your name on the updates page again! Thank you for this heavenly addition to my ever-growing video game MP3 list ;-). When can we get married?

This is just extraordinarily wonderful... it feels good listening to it and it brings a smile to my face. Loving every single part of this song!

McVaffe, thanks for making such cool, damn good remixes. Hope everything goes well for you in the future.

McVaffe, you deserve kudos for all of the work you did on this mix and other mixes you did in the past. You are my most respected remixer and regardless where you go in life or what people say (I read that guy's comment comparing you to Disco Dan, whom is a great remixer to me), you will always have my respect.

I really can't say anything other than what everyone else has said--this is a gorgeous remix, hands down. I've only been surfing around OCR for about a week, but I've quickly come to the conclusion that McVaffe is a god.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of the ending theme of the game, which I love and unfortunately don't get to hear much anymore since I'm usually away from my system. The transitions between sections are flawless, and just... wow. Excellent, excellent remix here.

Am I the only one who sees this?

I can picture this music being used in a movie in two difference scenarios...mostly when the music hits 2:40

One: Used for one of them endings to a movie that gets so emotional it makes even grown men cry.

two: Used in a flashback towards the end of a movie when a main character dies and all the other characters start remembering the good ole days with the character...and a lot of things are moving in semi slow motion and everyone is happy.

Maybe it's just me...but anyway, McVaffe did one hell of a great job on this mix, but that's no surprise :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01185 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "The Darkness and the Light"