OCR01186 - Revenge of Shinobi "Consent (Make Me Dance)"

For some reason I never commented on this. This is one of my favorite tracks on the whole site (and definitely my favorite of yours, though Sveldt is just barely behind). Awesome groove and overall feel to the whole song, and great little vocal throw-in. I remember listening to this all the time years ago and loving it just as much then.

So why hasn't this been reviewed in 2+ years?! Totally needs more love.

What the hell? I never commented on this either.

But yeah, I remember congratulating Dave on the OCR4 redesign, this was not too long before I joined the panel. Right behind analoq's Commander Keen 4 mix, I enjoyed this one the most. The groove here was very excellent, and I loved the interpretation. It's a great upbeat work, and was a great way to cap off the OCR4 unveiling.

• 11 months later...

This is awesome, awesome electro-funk. It sounds very djpretzel-ish; there would never be any mistake he was behind the keyboard on this one. For me it seems like a return to his roots. I definately hear a culmination of past tracks and genres present here. Expectedly amazing production with highest possible grade arranging. It's a very nice ride to be on. Sometimes kicking, sometimes smooth. Always enjoyable.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ah, this is just amazing. As I hear more and more of DJP's mixes, he seems to come across as a really funkeh fella. Everything from the lead, to the bass are excellent. All the sounds entwine perfectly and compliment each other. The music constantly moves bringing in new motifs and taking others away. Always something going on but keeping funky at the same time. Really enjoyable and a highly reccommended download. You will be wanting to dance to this, no doubt.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Always liked this one. But I could never recognize the source other than the vocoded vocals part. The spirit of the original is definitely here in genre and mood. Yet I have a hard time associating this with Make Me Dance. It doesn't help this is in a different key and the source is  filled with solo jams. Nevertheless, this is always a good listen.

• 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01186 - Revenge of Shinobi "Consent (Make Me Dance)"
  • 3 years later...

Oh boy, first complaint as a super-judgmental first listen after many years, is that the lead at 35-46 seconds sounds a little rough in the ears. When it shows up again at 52 seconds, I can begin to forgive it, because after multiple listens that higher register at 53 seconds is just more pleasing, and is mixed better with everything accumulated that far. Afterwards when it's repeated but with its appropriate new rhythms etc., I go back and forth between liking the general timbre of it and being critical of it. I think in general it's just not the most pleasing sound.

Definitely a more skillful work by our favorite website author. Maybe I'll keep coming back and change my mind again and again. And again.

Edited by Audity