Blaster Master Overdrive

Sir_NutS

I was wanting to start a thread about this, but I already did it about a different game, and I don't want to be a thread-hog. I'm totally going to support Sunsoft, and I love the 2D retro trend. My main concern is control, hopefully it will be good. I'm surprised by the short notice though (but I will certainly buy, I just finally beat Blaster Master a few weeks ago!)

It would've been posted on the OCR front page if it was made in 2002.

Sunsoft had some NES games with really memorable music (Batman, Journey to silius, Blaster Master, Spy hunter) so it's kind of a let down that they couldn't get someone who could give the game's music the same energy from the nes game.

Crossing my fingers for another journey to silius after this!

Sunsoft had some NES games with really memorable music (Batman, Journey to silius, Blaster Master, Spy hunter) so it's kind of a let down that they couldn't get someone who could give the game's music the same energy from the nes game.

Crossing my fingers for another journey to silius after this!

Yeah, I was just thinking that the other day as I went through some nsf's, Sunsoft really did have some great 8-bit soundtracks. Although technically Spy Hunter was originally a Bally Midway title in the arcades.

Then Sunsoft seemed to slowly fade away.

It'd be pretty awesome if Blaster Master ends up the equivalent of BC: Rearmed, but I'll wait for the reviews.

I've finished the first two areas this morning, and so far the game is an absolute blast. The lack of repeating upgrades (two upgrades to the main cannon in the NES game, for instance) thus far has been very nice. The interior portions of the game are vastly better than the original, and the outside areas seem to be just as good.

The only thing bothering me currently is that the game's map is a little small when compared to SOTN or Super Metroid. For $10 though, it's justifiable. If you liked the original it's definitely worth your money. If you're desperate for Metroid-style adventuring on the Wii, get it. All others beware, as there's a fair amount of old-school challenge to be had.

Overall: 7.5/10 (points off due to map size, and annoyance of moving Alex around the outside areas without the safety of the tank).

I've finished the first two areas this morning, and so far the game is an absolute blast. The lack of repeating upgrades (two upgrades to the main cannon in the NES game, for instance) thus far has been very nice. The interior portions of the game are vastly better than the original, and the outside areas seem to be just as good.

The only thing bothering me currently is that the game's map is a little small when compared to SOTN or Super Metroid. For $10 though, it's justifiable. If you liked the original it's definitely worth your money. If you're desperate for Metroid-style adventuring on the Wii, get it. All others beware, as there's a fair amount of old-school challenge to be had.

Overall: 7.5/10 (points off due to map size, and annoyance of moving Alex around the outside areas without the safety of the tank).

Awesome, can't wait to get home! thanks for the review.

Forgot to mention but worth a separate post:

NO CLASSIC CONTROLLER support. You're killing me with this one, otherwise it'd be an 8.

Yeah I just read about that on neogaf, a real shame.

Also, the guy representing sunsoft in USA (a former Working Designs employee it seems) says that this is just the first of more to come. Journey to Silius 2 anyone?

EDIT: Actually is Victor Ireland, former president of WD. For those not in the know they used to port japanese games that otherwise wouldn't have made it this isde of the world, like the awesome Lunar series.

Thanks for the review. I like what I hear. I was worried because of the short announcement of the game, and I get that "too good to be true" vibe; but your review helped. I'm still a little shocked that the game exists, but I will buy once my girlfriend forgets that I just bought another Wii game.

Update: I've finished the first four areas. Area 5 really picks up the difficulty of the overhead sections -- those fire breathing snakes can suck it.

On the three main guns for Alex: IMO choose either the default gun or the homing gun, and then upgrade the rockets second (they come in VERY handy for bosses, and some things require a rocket to kill).

If you're not great at the game, the default gun is easier to use at lower levels...but the spread gun is absolutely ridiculous maxed, much like the "rainbow of death" gun from the original.

For those who played it through some more: does the music get any better than what was in the trailer?

Quality wise, basically no. It's 16-bit sounding covers 80% of the time iirc, with 20% original material (which could also be covers, I forget the later NES music).

So I don't deter anyone, they're _good_ covers, but they don't do anything unexpected.

So I got it 2 days ago but couldn't play it until yesterday, I am now on stage 3 and here are my thoughts so far:

1.-The music is definitively better than the one in the trailer, I don't know what's up with that. Don't expect a lot though, its just a 16-bit rendition of the 8-bit songs, nothing too daring unlike say, bionic commando rearmed.

2.-The controls are tight and the car feels like a heavier version of the original. Overall I find the gameplay was slowed down a bit from the 8-bit original but it's still solid.

3.-Graphics are well done but repetitive. The same goes for the original but for some reason the world felt like it had more variety in the NES version. I still haven't got to the "flashier" stages like the lava world from the trailer though. Also: I miss the open green fields from the original. Stage 1 and 2 are very similar underground caves.

4.-The on-foot gameplay is solid and an improvement over the original. The caves or "gates" are all very alike though and don't offer much excitement when it comes to exploration. The weapons are very nice and offer some variety on how you tackle your enemies, although the homing laser thingy sucks IMO.

5.-Difficulty is very good (If you like difficult old school games like me). The save points are welcome and bring some ease to the game but still if you die you'll sometimes have to go a long way since your last save point, which isn't bad to me as it gives it a more old school feel.

So far, the game is solid and looks like it will only get better later on. Still it feels like they could have done more to improve it, it still feels like the original trumps it in some aspects. It's totally worth the 10$.

This game brings me hope for future sunsoft releases as well, as with Konami's Rebirth series, they didn't get it quite right the first time(gradius rebirth) but they have gotten exponentially better with each new game (contra/castlevania rebirth). And Sunsoft did a better job with his first wiiware release than konami, imo.

TLDR: GO GET THIS GAME!