Turned Based RPGs

atmuh

Are you suggesting that the Real-time MMO-type Gameplay makes turn-based JRPG gameplay feel antiquated, or are you suggesting that the trend of real-time MMO-type gameplay in modern JRPGs now is making you not care about JRPGs anymore?
I'm pretty sure the latter is exactly what he said

reading skillz 4 lyfe

Yeah see the thing about MMOs is that MMOS AREN'T FUCKING FUN so by making jRPGs play like single-player MMOs you are making jRPGs not fun.

Did anyone else read this depressing news as "investment opportunity"?
"investment opportunity"

Now to play the waiting game... :nicework:

As much as I've enjoyed a few of their games they really need to do something far from their previous titles; or create "spiritual successors" to them that give an entirely different experience as well as enjoyment that their earlier works managed to bring.

I don't see them getting out of the niche territory though.

I loved LO's story, but the gameplay was so SLOW and really, really basic. If the battle system matched the epicness of the graphics, music, and story, then it would've been the perfect contender against Final Fantasy.

The final battle's load time in particular was nearly a full minute long. I was basically left wondering whether it was intentional to keep pace with the music or if the music was just lengthened to make up for the long load.

Oh hey, Shiren the Wanderer comes out for Wii tomorrow. It's a roguelike and was localized by Atlus so who knows? It might be good fun.

I like the ol' Turn-Based and ATB style RPGs myself.

Stuff like the Lufia games, Golden Sun, Final Fantasy V...

Modern examples are hard to come by, because people don't seem to enjoy these types of games as much.

However, a good one for last-gen is Skies of Arcadia for the gamecube (originally DreamCast but the GC is much better). Great music, great story, fun battles... it's everything you love about classic RPGs. The cherry on the cake is that the hero is not, like most of the RPGs of its time, a whiny little 'stoic' bitch with a dark and mysterious past. He's just a guy who enjoys life, and that's a nice change of pace.

That's a good shot, even though it is by no means a 360 game.

Don't get FFIV: The After Years. Just don't.

Hmm... other RPGs...

There ARE the Paper Mario games...

Some of the newer Tales series games might be up your alley.

Final Fantasy IX is always a good bet. Though X might be too.

Most RPGs I can think of are on portable platforms these days.

Sad.

If there can be a really good Turn-Based RPG for a main console, I'd buy it in a flash.

Now to play the waiting game... :nicework:

As much as I've enjoyed a few of their games they really need to do something far from their previous titles; or create "spiritual successors" to them that give an entirely different experience as well as enjoyment that their earlier works managed to bring.

I don't see them getting out of the niche territory though.

Well, they should be 97.5% more motivated to do something different.

Whenever I read about plummeting stock, I immediately think opportunity first. Whether it is there or not is another thing.

not at all

Good!

reading skillz 4 lyfe

I got enough to realise that your original statement was ambiguous.

However with the added context in which you state that you don't like MMORPGs makes it more clear.

Yeah see the thing about MMOs is that MMOS AREN'T FUCKING FUN so by making jRPGs play like single-player MMOs you are making jRPGs not fun.

Though overall I don't see why an MMORPG's pseudo-real-time combat is that much different from turn-based battles, unless the turn-based battle is more turn-based strategy (like Final Fantasy Tactics).

Real-time requires you to press buttons, and occasionally move within a certain amount of time (usually a few seconds). Turn-based just pauses the entire game and lets you enter one (or more) actions.

Have you even played Final Fantasy 1-10, Bleck.

no I was busy playing good games

Final Fantasy 5, 6 and 9 are the only ones really worth playing, and none of those three are very difficult at all. Saying Turn Based RPGs aren't difficult and citing the easiest series as an example is like saying platformers can't be difficult and citing Mario games.