Turned Based RPGs

atmuh

Well... not sure, as I haven't finished it yet. The story seems to be fairly expansive in scope, and their job at world-building is fantastic. But it's an event-based storyline: the people aren't as important as the events that are occurring. The voice-acting's fairly good, if a little amusing/annoying (no, for the thousandth time, I don't want to "kick some A").

The pacing's also really a matter of how many side-quests you take. There's many of 'em, and they can take quite awhile. But I the game still seems to be easily completable without the side-quests, and it would move along just fine if you just followed the story. If you played FF XII, the exploration factor is very similar here. You could spend quite a while exploring the more open areas for treasure and digging points (Mr. Diggs is awesome, don't deny it!)

The best part of Last Remnant is the incredible battle system, If you like to forge ahead farther than your'e relaly supposed to go, the game can get REALLY challenging. There are some hidden dungeons as well, and generally by the later half of the game if you keep doing this, every battle feels like a fight for your life and can go on for 15-20 minutes. JUST for a regular battle. The good thing is that obviously you rank(level basically) up ALOT faster, and it's ok to take this risk becasue you can save anywhere, anytime out of battle.

There's also ALOT to do aside from the main story, so if you do enjoy the battle system you have plenty of gametime.

Valkyrie Profile was good but i found it really diffcult.

If that's the case, there is

that has similar game play but (arguably) gives greater freedom on your strategy. I will say though in that link that fight was made harder by placing 3 of the same god damned creature rather than just 1 on the PSP version. That motherfucker not only stripped you of being able to use items but did status effects disabling special skills but also threw some of the strongest elemental attacks in the entire game.

Took me nearly half an hour to finally finish that fight with some losses. :lol: Overall I believe the PSP version to be more difficult than the original ps2 verion.

shit, I'm getting that game

I will say this, knockback is both your greatest friend and yet one of the biggest pain in the ass. On one hand it allows you a greater chance to pull off combos, but at the same time the enemy can do that too. Some will even string them against you if you're not careful.

Also once you discovered how you level up and rage about it, as you get used to it you find yourself comfortable. Oh do try to finish certain things with the best possible result; trust me on that it's worth it to get one of the best endings

Thanks for the suggestion Schwaltzvald. It looks like so much fun:-P

It's an under-rated yet enjoyable game imo; not to mention it's a rather nishe game.

Beyond doujin games, you can't get more nishe than

when it comes to commercial games.

I pretty much would call it a mash up game that have "iconic" characters such as "Disgaea"'s Etna and Prinny fighting alongside "Dark Stalkers" characters such as Felicia, Morrigan, Jedah among a couple of other characters from other games I don't even recognize a couple of characters from some of the other games :lol:

(Really Capcom I know of your generosity with your ip but wow, :nicework: )

Seriously though this game is a huge hit or miss for anybody.

You will either love it or hate it; especially if you've never played games from the likes of NIS.

I actually would weigh against getting it if you're not used to nishe games that rarely push the graphical strength of current systems beyond PS2 standards (sometimes even bordering PS1 standards on certain static backgrounds for reason unknown to myself). In the combat segments you'll find yourself wondering why are the enemies either sprite animated ones, cg modeled ones, or even a combination of both.

I've wondered about that too...

However past all that I have to say I've enjoyed playing it and am glad to have it part of my PS3 library. Aside from the fan service, (whether it was avoidable or not is debatable, unless ya don't give a shit as it's for fun), the DLC that tries to nickel & dime you (The free ones are all that you should ever really bother getting I wouldn't bother with the charging ones imo), The game can be very cruel yet rewarding with its challenges and difficulty.

Essentially as most games of similar vein (Disgaea's inclusion, if only in its' characters, should be a huge red flag on this part) emphasizes on grandiose attacks, combos, spells, spell combos, ex-combos etc. Simply go DBZ/Fist of the North Star/Fist of an Angry God experiencing a GOD-TIERed ROID RAGE on the enemies.

Beats playing the next iteration of Madden/NBA/perhaps even Final Fantasy (at times and I love playing FF games) if you ask me...

Seconding Eternal Sonata.

Also, I am curious about PSP RPGs. Was thinking about making a new thread about it, but figured it was better to post it in here.

I never really played any RPGs on the psp. Anyone have any good recommendations? Mana Khemia looks good, so I am definitely going to try that out. More recommendations would be lovely.

Seconding Eternal Sonata.

Also, I am curious about PSP RPGs. Was thinking about making a new thread about it, but figured it was better to post it in here.

I never really played any RPGs on the psp. Anyone have any good recommendations? Mana Khemia looks good, so I am definitely going to try that out. More recommendations would be lovely.

- assuming you've never played it or would like to have a portable edition anyways.

- at the very least if you've NEVER played one of them before.

-link somewhat of a spoiler still though pretty good fight. (supposedly it's one of the easier fights. Found it to be of a decent challenge imo. I blame it on being ill prepared though on my part :lol: )

I'd be VERY careful about Yggdra Union.

If you get that, prepare for some gratingly long battles, SLOW combat, and incredibly punishing difficulty (which makes repeating all those battles much much more arduous).

The story is interesting, like most of all STiNG games, with lots of great damn music...

But like most of all STiNG games, it is an INCREDIBLY mixed bag.

Plus, some names really just do NOT fit, and kinda show how much the Japs in STiNG did their research...

No, guys, you don't name a mermaid with a bubbly child-like personality "Nietzsche." That's not how it works.

YggdraUnion-Nietzsche.jpg

does not equal

nietzsche.jpg

Plus, some names really just do NOT fit, and kinda show how much the Japs in STiNG did their research...

No, guys, you don't name a mermaid with a bubbly child-like personality "Nietzsche." That's not how it works.

Oh please JRPGs in particular as well as western varieties get away with almost anything.

Why even the Messiah played a role in an rpg. :lol:

I will say though all of the PSP rpgs are mixed bags imo.

For one thing, some do find VP's combat rather difficult, YU's combat being tedious at times if you're not ready surrounding certain cards, Disgaea's emphasizing on over the top assaults, Mana Khemia's Alchemy gimmick being the basis of nearly everything within its world which in this case actually makes sense...

Jeanne D'Arc's probably the only "normal" one in that it gives its reinterpretation of the woman as well as certain events in a fun game.

I thought we were still talking about turn-based stuff

CC is very not turn-based

it was a damned good game though

Yeah I could have mentioned CC if just RPGs in general were requested. I don't recall CC ever being turn based.

I will second though in Crisis Core being good.

And I just noticed Arek just asking about rpgs in general not just turn based... :lol:

Would

count..? Never played any of them before so...