Turned Based RPGs

atmuh

lol bought both of these earlier today on ebay as a set. Already had part 2 but I could always sell it off.

Word of warning, or just a heads up at least...

To some they felt in the first game the rate of being thrown into combat was rather high. I was not bothered by it at all personally...

Then again I'm both a sadist and masochist in terms of gaming so take what you will...

• 2 weeks later...

In response to the original question, I think we're seeing a bit of a resurgence in turn-based RPGs, but mostly on handheld systems. There're a few I'm looking forward to, or already picked up, for both DS and PSP. Such as...

A Lunar SSS remake is coming for the PSP soon, looks like it's got a nice boost in graphic, I hope they keep the heart of the original intact though.

This. Lunar: Silver Star Harmony is being released for the PSP. Especially if you've never played the PS1 remakes, then I'd highly recommend it. ...I may be slightly biased, as my sig/avatar indicate, but, yeah, it's pretty good.

I've played the Japanese version already, and the English one is going to be released on March 3rd (with some nice pre-order bonuses--use the OCR Amazon Store and search for "Silver Star Harmony Limited Edition" if you want that).

There's a demo on PSN if you want to check it out for yourself. KF

Word-by-word reaction:

"What kinda sucks"

???

"is that they are remaking Lufia II"

=)

"an excellent game with great music"

=D

"but that they are remaking it into a 3D action game"

=O

I still don't get all the fixation on 3D and pseudo-3D (isometric views, etc.). Sometimes a classic 2D RPG, designed with a classic 2D interface, works best with the 2D interface. It's like trying to take an old black-and-white movie, colorize it, and make it 3D. KF

So I played some Mana Khemia Student Alliance today and I think I get why some people think it's hard. The alchemy wheel goes around pretty fast, doesn't help that the screen is small too so making out the order of elements can be pretty hard. It's a lot different from Khemia 2, which had the elements spin a lot slower making it easier to pick the one you wanted.

Gotta have good reflexes man, plus if you're able to, you can use "Anna's" card to actually slow it down or the others to select a particular element regardless of how fast the wheel goes; though I've only ever seen Flay's card in regards to forcing a fire element to be selected. Other then than I've personally had no trouble with it.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I have the PS2 version anyways so it shouldn't be a problem. The text on the PSP version is also hard to read sometimes, mostly with the letter b looking kinda like a l.

Is the first PS2 game and Student Alliance the same thing? I have both PS2 games, but never picked up Student Alliance. I thought the only difference was the title:

Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis (PS2)

Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (PS2)

Mana Khemia: Student Alliance (PSP)

Also, the wheel isn't that bad at all :) I thought the timing was pretty easy actually.

Both are the same game, but Student Alliance has some extra features. Multiplayer wireless battles, some extra recipes, quests and monsters I think. Also has longer load times than the ps2 version, though you can load it to the memory stick to make the loads better.

As long as it has some form of Data Install, like you said, I'll probably pick it up.

I tried playing KH: Birth By Sleep without turning the data install feature on and it was horror... pure, never-ending load times horror.

Extra quests though, that's a selling point to me. I love side-quests.

Also, how was Atelier Annie? I've been wanting to play that for a while now.

Actually only played 1 and 2 to be honest, rest are in my backlog. My Suikoden collection isn't too bad I guess, though it's tiny compared to this...

http://jjrrs.deviantart.com/art/Genso-Suikoden-Collection-67611595

http://jjrrs.deviantart.com/art/Genso-Suikoden-Collection-Pt-2-116608313

http://jjrrs.deviantart.com/art/Genso-Suikoden-Promo-Posters-114497082

Cool. Suikoden was a fun series, though admittedly I bought Suikoden V and never finished it.

Suiko 5 is really just for the story, honestly. Battles are clunky yet effortless affairs, especially as the game makes it so, so easy to get the best characters (one is literally plopped into your party by the plot -- you probably got her before you quit since she joins relatively early). I beat it once and used a guide to collect all the characters. Awesome story and interesting characters, but it's a shame the battles don't hold up.

I'm currently playing Fragile Dreams for Wii. It's not turn-based, but it's a pretty solid action-RPG with some fun survival-horror lite ideas tossed in.

Suiko 5 is really just for the story, honestly. Battles are clunky yet effortless affairs, especially as the game makes it so, so easy to get the best characters (one is literally plopped into your party by the plot -- you probably got her before you quit since she joins relatively early).

Perhaps the same could be said of all relig... Suikoden games, since 1 and 2 had a simpler battle system, III had that weird 2 person pairing thing going on and IV had that 4 person team which I'm not too sure about yet. Also, should be getting Fragile in the mail tomorrow, which I had been looking forward to.

Strange Journey is quite good. But I feel I must rag on it because I found it funny.

1) You are "treated" to a 30-minute long intro scene/tutorial. As it's all military and the like, it's dry as hell. THIRTY MINUTES.

2) This is spoilery, so... BLACK DUDE DIES FIRST

Liking the new demons, though I'm not exactly thrilled with the weaklings they toss you early on. Knocker... Seriously? I guess he's the demon that knocks at your door at 3 am just to scare the shit outta you.

Oh, and they don't let you raise your own stats. You do, however, get to choose your alignment and how your stats progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard mixed things about Strange Journey, but I AM interested in getting into the Shin Megami Tensei series.

I think I might start with Devil Survivor, if I get the time and/or money.

A few people from other forums I go to say "It's like if The World Ends with You was interesting."