OCR01188 - Mario Kart 64 "Rainbow Snowland"

Thoroughly enjoyable song, kudos to Dhsu... but I had one issue with it.

This wasn't mentioned by any of the judges or djp, but I noticed an audible change in background noise throughout the piece. I listened using three different sets of headphones, and heard it all three times. Certain times in the piece there is an audible background hiss, whereas other times it dissapears.

I notice it first 5 seconds in when the hiss mysteriously appears out of nowhere. It promptly disappears 9 seconds in, but reappears again at 14, dissapears at 16, returns at 20... etc.

I don't hear this in any other music I've ever listened to on my computer, which leads me to believe it isn't a sound card issue, but if no one else noticed it... am I just going crazy?

'The Trial in Concert' by Spekkosaurus for instance has a slight hissish sound that is persistant throughout (probably because it's recorded live), and that's fine. 'Time's New Scar' by gutzalpus in comparison doesn't exhibit the hiss at all. This song seems to alternate back and forth, and it's a very distracting quality to an otherwise fantastic piece.

Anyway, if this could be confirmed by anyone else, I would appreciate it... if not, maybe some explanation as to why it would be happening with this piece alone?

There hasn't been a mix from Dhsu that I haven't liked, and this is no exception. Excellent piece. Very enjoyable. Just don't listen to it at work... You wouldn't want to fall asleep and get yourself into trouble. 8O:oops:

wow. this is probably the most real song on the whole website (maybe 1 step ahead of FZero Silence remix by JigginJonT). Is there sheet music to this? And if there is, what's the time signature? The single sped up beat in every measure is just playing mind tricks on me. For some reason, my speakers buzz when its played louder than normal. might just be a weird thing tho. i'd give it a 9.7 out of 10. Very nice.

Oh boy, pure piano mixes. Been WAITING for those, actually tried to make a few, but, y'know, I suck at remixing.

Good stuff, like the way it doesen't sound particularly well played. As you said, sleep-inducing, definetly.

Good stuff.

Some very nice piano work from Dhsu. I take my metaphorical hat off to you :) A very mature level of arrangement and performance is shown here, and it makes for a very listenable piece indeed. I look forward to your work in future.

As for the noise in the background, I can hear it too, but only if I turn my headphones up really loud. It's probably just background noise, and I'm guessing the reason it keeps on coming in and out would be if Dhsu used a compressor at all (might be wrong, though, in which case I have no idea). Not very much can be done about it unless he records it again.

I hear the hissing if i turn my speakers up louder than normal. I think Soundforge has a filter that he can run the wav through. i'm not sure how good it is but eh. Ya don't even notice it usually because its not a song i would listen to very loudly anyway, its a quiet one.

I hear the hissing if i turn my speakers up louder than normal. I think Soundforge has a filter that he can run the wav through. i'm not sure how good it is but eh. Ya don't even notice it usually because its not a song i would listen to very loudly anyway, its a quiet one.

Hmm... methinks my headphones must make the sound more obvious. Oh well. :(

Wow! I've downloaded some mellow songs from OC Remixes but never anything like this! From the minute it came on, my eyelids began to feel heavy. I honestly can't remember what Rainbow Road sounds like in Mario Kart 64 and this song definately did not help me remember it, but that's okay. This song is good. I like mellow songs. It's good to have a song to calm you down, and this one would definately do the trick. This is one of those songs that creates a mood rather than become a victim of one.

Awesome, I only recognized the rainbow road melody at 1:22 and 1:40, but still, this remix is excellent....i love piano music and "rainbow road" went in perfectly with it. Good job Dhsu! Nice and peacefull.........i think i could sit down and sleep to this right now.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the first half of the piece is Rainbow Road, whereas the second half is Frappe Snowland. Thus, the hybrid title.

I'm not a big fan of piano pieces, but I know quality when I hear it, and this is quality stuff. Like others have noted, the mastering could have been better, and I think it's too soft in general, but otherwise this is solid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Can´t help to get a little grumpy. Four remixes from MK64, and there´s only two tracks remixed. WHY?!

For this one, I´m a sucker for piano, so this is earcandy fer me. Very nice play, not a masterfully piano show where the pianist pushes as many keys as possible during the limited time(nothing wrong with that kLuTz), this was actually a calm and thoughtful pianoremix, like if it´s a movie, the main character sits on a stone and tries to remember why´s he´s still alive/ how his childhood memories was/ wondering hy only two tracks are remixed from MK64. Stuff like that.

Very careful work from one of my favorite pianolayers. Nice work Dhsu.

• 3 weeks later...
Can´t help to get a little grumpy. Four remixes from MK64, and there´s only two tracks remixed. WHY?!

For this one, I´m a sucker for piano, so this is earcandy fer me. Very nice play, not a masterfully piano show where the pianist pushes as many keys as possible during the limited time(nothing wrong with that kLuTz), this was actually a calm and thoughtful pianoremix, like if it´s a movie, the main character sits on a stone and tries to remember why´s he´s still alive/ how his childhood memories was/ wondering hy only two tracks are remixed from MK64. Stuff like that.

Very careful work from one of my favorite pianolayers. Nice work Dhsu.

Dhsu could do that easily.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01188 - Mario Kart 64 "Rainbow Snowland"