Let's get OCR to do Sonic 4's music!

DarkeSword

I downloaded one of those ocremix complete Sonic (2? Knuckles?) remixes and it had some really sucky tracks. I guess I just don't like "remixes" because when I hear a slow orchestrated piece I just don't think of Sonic the Hedgehog and I continue on to the next track that I hope sounds more like something I would expect from a Sonic game.

I can only hope they have Sega Japan do the music.

Did you join solely to put us down? :P

Of course it isn't going to sound like Sonic the Hedgehog, thats the point of a remix. It's taking the source information and re-arranging it so it gives you a whole different experience with the same guts of the original inside of it.

In any case with the hypothesis here, I very much doubt we could get away with slow orchestral remixes of level music inside a fast level, so you don't have anything to worry about there. :)

I downloaded one of those ocremix complete Sonic (2? Knuckles?) remixes and it had some really sucky tracks. I guess I just don't like "remixes" because when I hear a slow orchestrated piece I just don't think of Sonic the Hedgehog and I continue on to the next track that I hope sounds more like something I would expect from a Sonic game.

Like Meteo said, that was a rearrangement album. It's not supposed to sound the same. That was the point.

However, just because the only stuff you had from OCR is rearrangements doesn't mean we can't do stuff that sounds like Sonic music.

Did you even bother to listen to any of the other 2000 remixes on this website?

Also, if you say that you can only hope Sega Japan will do the music, you're technically disrespecting the very talented musicians on this web site. That's not nice. :P There are people on this site that can do old gen Sonic 3 style music.

Poor trolling attempt. You didn't even try to label all the music on this site as techno. 4/10.

I guess I just don't like "remixes" because when I hear a slow orchestrated piece I just don't think of Sonic the Hedgehog and I continue on to the next track that I hope sounds more like something I would expect from a Sonic game.

Man, that's the best part about remixes! It's like playing Mario for the first time after only ever seeing a Sega Genesis and Sonic 2 for the first 7 years of your life, or buying a PS3 after only owning Nintendo systems for 16 years; they take what's normal and make it into something new and exciting.

And why the hell would you be on a remixing site if you don't like remixes?

And yeah, I would have to buy Sonic 4 if you guys did the music. On a side note, would you get a cut of the profits if you did that?

Man, that's the best part about remixes! It's like playing Mario for the first time after only ever seeing a Sega Genesis and Sonic 2 for the first 7 years of your life, or buying a PS3 after only owning Nintendo systems for 16 years; they take what's normal and make it into something new and exciting.

And why the hell would you be on a remixing site if you don't like remixes?

And yeah, I would have to buy Sonic 4 if you guys did the music. On a side note, would you get a cut of the profits if you did that?

Well the thing is we don't do remixes.

We do rearrangements. (OverClocked Rearrangement is not very catchy :P)

Well the thing is we don't do remixes.

We do rearrangements. (OverClocked Rearrangement is not very catchy :P)

Now I got the grammar police on my case.

Ok, this is for you, neblix, in response to djoye:

And why the hell would you be on a rearrangement site if you don't like rearrangments?

This sounds way too close to the source material.

Get some originality in your "about" statement, this just sounds exactly like what djp wrote.

NO.

I disagree with you here; I read it and I could hear neblix's style (perhaps even in an Aussie accent, which is always a plus), and the text-based smiley at the end was completely unexpected but I think it aided the delivery just enough to make it stand well on its own. And text-based smilies are totally rad. Almost like timbale licks.

SURE.

I disagree with you here; I read it and I could hear neblix's style (perhaps even in an Aussie accent, which is always a plus), and the text-based smiley at the end was completely unexpected but I think it aided the delivery just enough to make it stand well on its own. And text-based smilies are totally rad. Almost like timbale licks.

SURE.

See guys?

Told ya I'd get posted!

Now I got the grammar police on my case.

Ok, this is for you, neblix, in response to djoye:

And why the hell would you be on a rearrangement site if you don't like rearrangments?

Hey, it makes a big difference to someone that doesn't know what we mean by ReMix. xD

But back on topic:

To Djoye;

Just because someone makes an orchestral version of a Sonic song doesn't mean we're ALL not capable of composing our own music in Sonic 3 80's/funk style. :/

• 3 weeks later...

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/03/15/sonic-4-spotlight-whats-in-an-intro-a-whole-lot-actually/

"The Sonic community being as they are (which we’d like to define as generally awesome, creative, and dedicated), it was only a matter of time before fans jumped in with their own takes on the intro theme. Today, we’d like to spotlight a few of those that we thought were particularly well-done."
Wat about OCR jumping in years ago with their hundred takes on all of your Sonic music :< Aren't they awesome creative and dedicated? 0_0
To preface our first spotlight, many of you have probably heard by now that Jun Senoue is doing the soundtrack for the game. Senoue-san is an awesome guy, and I say that not only because he worked on the music in Sonic and Knuckles and a huge number of other Sonic games, but also because I’ve had the pleasure of meeting him in a video conference, and he is both humble and easy to work with.
Sonic and Knuckles style music again? :razz:

DKiC was one of the first projects released though. And with the specific intention of being a fluid continuation from the first to the last track, unlike many of the projects that came out after.

It'd be cool if at least some artists from here would get to create the tracks but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

That's actually really not true at all. DKC1 was not intended to be some kind of fluid continuation. Yes, it was mixed that way after everyone had their tracks handed in (simple crossfades) but at no time was there every any direction besides "make a good track." And I'm not knocking that at all either, since the project was great, but if you ask anyone who was actually on the project they'll tell you the same thing. Binnie just asked an assortment of ReMixers, a number of whom weren't even posted, to do remixes of Donkey Kong Country. And that's what we did.

I noticed Sonic 4's website just updated with the first track from Splash Hill Zone, and I must say... I'm pretty disappointed! Did the composer only have one soundfont installed? Come on! I know they were probably going for a retro feel, but if you compare it even to the original Starlight Zone, it just falls flat. Honestly I feel OCR could have done a much better job with the soundtrack. :-/

I noticed Sonic 4's website just updated with the first track from Splash Hill Zone, and I must say... I'm pretty disappointed! Did the composer only have one soundfont installed? Come on! I know they were probably going for a retro feel, but if you compare it even to the original Starlight Zone, it just falls flat. Honestly I feel OCR could have done a much better job with the soundtrack. :-/

What are you talking about? You set me up for disappointment but it actually sounds pretty damn good without using the actual FM synthesis of the Megadrive. Could use a little more energy sure, but this is a damn catchy tune.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Coop. Again. Story of my life.

Download it? How? I just see a player in the upper right with a pause button. Clicking anywhere on it does nothing. Oh well, Meteo sent it to me anyway...

This track was not too impressive to me. The writing isn't bad, but the production is confusing. It's too lo-fi to sound modern (very plain synths + sounds) but not lo-fi enough to really be Genesis or SNES-style. So to me, it's in a sort of valley usually inhabited by rejected OCR subs. Now, if you want to hear retro-style music in a retro-style game being released today done RIGHT, check out the Etrian Odyssey soundtrack, eg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V6OmYw667s

This track was not too impressive to me. The writing isn't bad, but the production is confusing. It's too lo-fi to sound modern (very plain synths + sounds) but not lo-fi enough to really be Genesis or SNES-style. So to me, it's in a sort of valley usually inhabited by rejected OCR subs. Now, if you want to hear retro-style music in a retro-style game being released today done RIGHT, check out the Etrian Odyssey soundtrack, eg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V6OmYw667s

^ This for justice.