OCR01190 - Star Control II "Through the Angles of Space"

I remember very little music in Star Control, which was an amazingly huge 12 meg cartridge for the Genesis (can you even believe it???? 12 megs!!! TWELVE!!!!) and later a 3DO game (a computer game before all of this). Only the 3DO version had much music, so that's where I'm assuming this is from. Anyway I enjoy this. Hard to find anything really to say about it other than the fact that I enjoy it. Good release for OCR.

edit: Ooooo Star Control 2! No wonder. :)

Wow, after the first remix of the Hyperspace theme by Vera (Electro Blast), this quasi-space rendition is quite a surprise. Electro Blast seemed to simply be a high-energy remix, whereas this is an entire shift of style, going beyond what was done before.

In the game, this theme would drive me nuts in the game after 2 minutes (I'd always have to consult the hand-drawn map my brother and I drew to plot where each wormhole led to in-game, a time-consuming process in which I'd hear this song repeated over and over and over), but the much improved quality and layering of instruments here make it eminently listenable, over and over again. I liked Electro Blast a lot, didn't much like Property of the Crimson Corporation (loved the druuge though, BOOM!), but this is definitely the king of SC2 remixes so far. Excellent adaptation, way to take a creative synth arrangement and turn it into a damn fine song.

I love this rendition. As the Hyperspace remix was for a really hyper song already, this is a subdued remix, for a subdued theme. I used to really like how peaceful the music sounded after the other, more energetic songs.

10/10, excellent job!

On the subject of more energetic pieces, I'd love to hear Yehat and Pkunk themes done. I wonder if those are in judges queue somewhere...

God, everytime I see a new mix for Starcontrol II come up here something in my heart just leaps. Every mix is more recognition for one of the best games and best soundtracks of all time in my opinion.

In particular, I've always loved the Quasispace music (I always thought it was pretty though repetitive, much like my bizarre fascination with the fairy music from QFG1) and I think this remix is absolutely stunning in all measures. Everything about it just conveys that vast emptiness that is Quasispace and still keeps that enigmatic beauty.

Ah, such joy.

• 3 weeks later...
On the subject of more energetic pieces, I'd love to hear Yehat and Pkunk themes done. I wonder if those are in judges queue somewhere...

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Atleast from me there is no Pkunk and Yehat in the queue (yet). Yehat I haven't even done, and the Pkunk I made I don't like myself (although the few who have heard it says it's good).

There should be other sc2 remixes in the queue, we'll see if they get posted. I'll be putting Syreen remix into the queue soon..

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Great ear-catching beginning, it really has a huge spacey sound. If i ever had a huge personal revelation in my life, I would want to have this song playing for extra emphasis and dramatic impact. "What? Overdraft notice? Nooooooo!!!!!"

The production on this is super-quality, everything is clear and has great presence to it. The melody is very apparent but is pretty ambient, so the track tends to slide into BGM territory, but it is very image-rich.

If you like ambient, this is about as good as it gets. :-)

• 2 years later...

This is a highly evocative piece from the game (the moment you first hear it is pretty awesome, it certainly was for me). This version updates and extends it quite well. It starts out really chill, but gets some boombast added with the timpani drums, and grows later on. I think I liked the beautiful, very ambient-sounding intro the best, and didn't fully appreciate the direction it took. It's good nonetheless. The flute and string embellishments are beautiful, and the way the theme is varied and explored is satisfying. Also, I like the way the bass drops for a long time. There's a spacey feel there.

--Eino

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01190 - Star Control II "Through the Angles of Space"