OCR01988 - Wave Race 64 "Serenity's Wake"

djpretzel

This is wonderfully chill and relaxing, but it still maintains that quality Aud-- err... Sole Signal feel :-) I love the level of respect you have for the source tunes you remix, but at the same time it never feels like I'm listening to a remake or a cover of the original. Greg knows how to do a conservative(ish) remix right, more people should take note of this!

I love this theme so much- this is a really done rendition of it as well, with a lot of subtle, and some not-so-subtle shifts and additions to it. I think there is a bit too much panning for headphones, as the middle feels a bit neglected, but there are so many cool things going on throughout, that all that use of space lets you distinctly hear each thing individually.

Really great upbeat stuff, just my thing, and having it done so well is awesome. Nice work indeed! :-)

PS.

Another great version of this theme was done a few months back at DoD by Scaredsim and Harjawaldar. Really nice stuff as well, but very different.

here

the song takes away the original atmosphere of the OST and makes it sound...robotic.

yeah that's my feeling. i love wave race's music (well, everything by Totaka), though in this arrangement the things i originally liked are all... gone :( the laid back latin feel and lush instrumentation. and where are those glorious jazzy harmonies hiding? admittedly the title music isn't the best example of this on the OST though.

regardless, it's a convincing arrangement, and has some slick production. solid execution for what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

One of thus far three songs that I can listen to on a long highway drive and suddenly find myself suddenly at total ease; the fatigue just washes away. Of the three (all of which are from OCRemix), this one is the finisher when they're played contiguously.

I personally enjoy the wide panning between the channels; it just feels good, and evokes for me at least a sense of pleasant swaying. I love the way the 4-floor rolls in and out in intensity. The song's instruments are all upbeat and clear (and this clarity is beautiful).

It's just... nice. Pleasant.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01988 - Wave Race 64 "Serenity's Wake"