Kaleidoscope (XB360) Released - OC ReMix Publishes Free OST!

djpretzel

Kaleidoscope (XB360) Released - OC ReMix Publishes Free OST!

February 12, 2010

FAIRFAX, VA-Kaleidoscope, a platformer developed by Morsel for the Xbox 360 game console, was released today through Microsoft's Xbox Live Indie Games (XBLIG), and OverClocked ReMix simultaneously released the game's soundtrack for free bittorrent download at http://ocremix.org.

This marks the first time OverClocked ReMix, a community primarily focused on fan arrangements of video game music, has published an original soundtrack on behalf of a game developer. Because Kaleidoscope's soundtrack was composed by OC ReMix judge and artist Mattias Häggström Gerdt (with a cameo end credits theme by site founder David "djpretzel" Lloyd), the idea seemed natural. The site has plans to publish more free game soundtracks on behalf of interested game developers and publishers in the future, providing convenient hosting and free promotion.

Regarding his work on the game's soundtrack, Mr. Gerdt writes:

"With Kaleidoscope, the main goal of the music was giving each world a unique identity while still making the soundtrack feel cohesive and as a whole. I worked hard on finding a few basic instruments that fit Sang Han's fantastic art and then built the tracks around these."

Mr. Lloyd adds:

"This is actually my first original scoring for a video game of any kind, and while it's short and heavily inspired by Mattias's excellent work, I'm still proud of it and glad I could contribute to the game in some way."

More information about Kaleidoscope is available on developer Morsel's website at http://playmorsel.com/.

Links

About OverClocked ReMix

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation, preservation, and interpretation of video game music. Its primary focus is www.ocremix.org, a website featuring hundreds of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans.

###

17-cover-front.jpg

kaleidoscope-xb360-title-57564.jpg

looking forward to listening to this.

i mentioned to dave at magfest that my iphone publisher wants to publish our OSTs (currently only one, changing soon) through OCR as well. he never got back to me about it, but we're still interested in it.

Cool, can I check it out? Due to timing with some PR for the game, our hand kinda got forced and we released this sooner than we thought we would, so some of the procedure/policy surrounding the whole process still needs to be formalized, but I'd love to at least check it out while we work out the kinks.

I just had a listen and I really liked the soundtrack. The game looks like a lot of fun too. It's a shame there's no plan for a PC port. I'd buy it for sure if there was (I don't own or really plan on ever owning an Xbox 360 to be honest).

Just my opinion, but this seems like the type of game that would sell really well on a digital distribution service like Steam. I know indie titles like Braid did really well there.

Just my opinion, but this seems like the type of game that would sell really well on a digital distribution service like Steam. I know indie titles like Braid did really well there.

i hear this a lot. braid did well mainly because there was a 66% off sale within a few weeks of it making it on steam, and because of the marketing MS did for it on xbl.

adorable music

Thank you :3

I just had a listen and I really liked the soundtrack. The game looks like a lot of fun too. It's a shame there's no plan for a PC port. I'd buy it for sure if there was (I don't own or really plan on ever owning an Xbox 360 to be honest).

Maybe future games will reach Steam, they have XNA distribution in place, but probably not this one.

So, we've had some good reviews already and they liked the music!

“… accompanied by an amazing dynamic soundtrack.” “There’s just something about Kaleidoscope, when the world blooms in color and the music picks up, it’s digital joy.” “… the music in Kaleidoscope is fabulous”

– GayGamer.net about Kaleidoscope

“The music of Kaleidoscope goes well with the artistic direction, and it’s a pleasure to listen to, never becoming grating on the nerves – which is a flaw that many famous platformers suffer from. It really adds to the atmosphere as you progress through the game collecting colors, and it’s so catchy, you just might find yourself humming along.”

– GamerLimit.com about Kaleidoscope

There's also a really extensive interview up at Gamasutra sister-site GameSetWatch by VGM journalist Jeriaska, Check it out here: http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/02/gamesetinterview_morsel_kaleidoscope.php