OCR01989 - Chrono Trigger "...And in Her Self-Loathing and Despair, She Found Wrath"

djpretzel

I love almost all forms of metal. I really enjoy this remix.

The production is really top notch on this. The kick is nice and punchy, and the drums are present but not over the top. I love the pinch harmonics and stompbox usage halfway through, and the following clean breakdowns are really clean and open.

My only complaints are that maybe the song is a little TOO clean, and also the lack of vocals. It's a great listen without them but you can't deny for a metalcore song, the vocals are almost a necessity. ;)

GREAT Work, I've loved every song I've heard from you so far. Thanks!

guitars felt too digital and washed out, they could've benefit from more tape saturation (maybe more variance, too? open string chugs are almost too obvious). at least the drums didn't sound TOO programmed like most people have them, but again, also could've benefit from some compression and saturation to bring out the "crack" in the snare. the cymbals bothered me a little as well. the arrangement is all right, i wasn't that impressed and all the dissonant riffs in the breakdowns were cheap (bands like korn abuse them, it's been done) but yknow, it's metalcore. loule

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :D

guitars felt too digital and washed out, they could've benefit from more tape saturation (maybe more variance, too? open string chugs are almost too obvious).

which guitars? the leads are recorded with a PocketPOD or just direct with plug-ins, but the rhythms are recorded through a tube amp, so if those sounded digital, the whole purpose was defeated haha. And the open string chugs ARE obvious, that's what I love about metalcore. :) breakdowns \m/

This is exactly what often-mixed songs need! Balls, chunk, and breakdowns - as many breakdowns as possible. I never realized how well Schala lent itself to melodeath harmonies.

Really great drum programming for the most part, but to my ears, the clean break might have sounded better without that rim hit sound, and with a bit more low end (maybe some reverb too?) to the bass drum. The clicky triggered-sounding bass is great with low riffs, but at least until the clean chords really come in, it feels like you should be able to hear more of it.

Been a fan of this ever since DoD and it's WIP stages. Glad you finally returned to the scene via this mix, LuIzA. As always, it doesn't disappoint. I can listen to the Tom Morello influences clearly. :)

Keep it up, dudet. Your CT mixes are hyping me up to actually play the game. Yep, hard to believe that I have not played this game yet.

You never posted Dimensional Horizons in OCR, btw. That track still rocks! Could use some remastering like Fire Cross and it'll be ready for more exposure.

You never posted Dimensional Horizons in OCR, btw. That track still rocks! Could use some remastering like Fire Cross and it'll be ready for more exposure.

now that you said it, I thought of posting it, but the reason I haven't is because it's 8+ minutes long, so the mp3 would have to be pretty shitty in quality to make it fit 6Mb.

Now that the limit increased to 8Mb, I'll consider doing it, just gotta see if it won't hurt the quality AND perhaps solve my personal issues with the song (and find the files haha)... But again, thank you for taking your time to record vocals for it.

now that you said it, I thought of posting it, but the reason I haven't is because it's 8+ minutes long, so the mp3 would have to be pretty shitty in quality to make it fit 6Mb.

Now that the limit increased to 8Mb, I'll consider doing it, just gotta see if it won't hurt the quality AND perhaps solve my personal issues with the song (and find the files haha)... But again, thank you for taking your time to record vocals for it.

No probs, dudet. It was fun doing those. If you need me to re-record them, I think I can manage to do so as soon as I'm done with exams. Just holler.

And yeah Dunther, this is better than the DoD version. The volume is of the overall mix is actually higher I suppose. :)

Wow, this track is awesome! Definitely a standout remix of this theme. Love the guitar work, absolutely amazing, and the interpretation of the theme is great. Still, got some reservations. It wanders around too much for my taste. Rather than developing it kinda jumps around in different directions. They do flow, but as soon as I start enjoying the riffs and percs it jumps to something different.

But it is a matter of taste. Maybe I just listen to too much progressive house/trance, which are all about repetition and slow buildup.

Awesome job! Keep it up!

I like this. Heavy and emotional. Well done.

Admittedly, I think "Cessation of Mammon" was better. Ashane and you made one of the best Schala mixes I've ever heard with that one. Perhaps if OCR ever changes that format you could post that here, but as it stands "Loathing" is a great alternative. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future. :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01989 - Chrono Trigger "...And in Her Self-Loathing and Despair, She Found Wrath"