Shreddage: Electric Rhythm Guitar Samples (by zircon + Sixto!)

From the halls of Valhalla comes an electric guitar library so powerful, it needs two subtitles.

SHREDDAGE: Electric Rhythm Guitar: Rock & Metal

Forged from the hammer of Ragnarok, Shreddage is a next-generation rhythm guitar library. It has been designed to provide the most realistic and flexible sound for rock and metal playing, giving the user the ability to recreate nearly any riff.

Unlike many other guitar libraries, Shreddage is extremely focused and took nearly two years to become fully realized. We recorded and re-recorded samples and articulations, analyzing multiple types of playing techniques, classic riffs, guitars, strings, DIs and mapping methods. The result is not only extremely deep and realistic, but intuitive and easy to play.

Features:

* The sound of a classic metal guitar run through a pristine, high-end Avalon DI at 24/96 and downsampled to 24/44.1 for the final release.

* All multisamples, NO LOOPS

* Tuning all the way down to Bb (the "B" stands for "brutal")

* CLEAN recordings to amp however you want

* Every crucial articulation for rock and metal rhythms: open sustains, powerchords, palm mutes, fast mutes, powerchord mutes, fast powerchord mutes, powerchord half-mutes, chord stops, pinch squeals, pick scrapes and slides

* A staggering 8x round robin for just about all articulations, on every note - say goodbye to the machine gun effect

* Double-tracked patches/multis that can even be used to pull off quad tracking!

* Dead-simple interface with quick mix controls (attack, decay, release, filters, EQ)

* NO convoluted, complex scripted system that takes weeks to learn - just load up patches and play. No need for extensive MIDI CC control, modwheel, aftertouch or keyswitch manipulation

* A set of amp/cab sim presets for such plugins as Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube Metal, Amplitube 2, Line6 Podfarm and Overloud TH-1. Just load the presets and play - no tweaking needed.

SHREDDAGE is available now at the truly metal price of $49 (Kontakt 2 format.) That's not a typo - $49!

Demos

Sketch Montage - Montage showcasing a number of different metal riffs using multiple guitar amp tones.

Heroic Trailer Cue - An epic, heroic trailer cue. Used in the first half of the trailer video!

"Desertion" - An arrangement of a piece from the video game Final Fantasy 6. Shows how Shreddage can convincingly be used for the entirety of a full-length instrumental piece!

Deep Impact - Another trailer-style cue using Sitar Nation, Impact: Steel, Groove Bias and one external drumloop.

"Bleed" Mockup - Short mockup of Meshuggah - "Bleed" showcasing fast and normal mutes in action at very higih speeds. Simple sequencing + pitch bend.

FAQ

Aren't there enough guitar libraries out there already?

It's true that there are a lot of guitar sample libraries out there, including some that are even oriented toward rock and metal playing. However, you simply will not find a library that sounds as realistic as this for rock/metal rhythm playing that is also DI AND multisampled... and definitely not at our price!

Why didn't you include an amped version?

We actually recorded amped samples too. However, when we experimented with actually playing and sequencing them, they sounded much less realistic than the DI version. Nothing sounds as good as actually amping the guitar yourself. Luckily, we have amp sim presets to make that really easy.

How hard is it to play?

One of the things we're most proud of with this library is how great it sounds out of the box. You don't need any sort of fancy layering or automation to get it to sound good. Even a sequence of straight eighth notes with different velocities (to trigger the appropriate articulations) sounds excellent with absolutely no other humanization added. Once you load up one of the multis or master patches you'll see how easy it is to get a huge, realistic sound.

How much time did it take to make the demos?

95% or more of the time spent on the demos went to sequencing every instrument BESIDES Shreddage. Making the Shreddage parts took a few minutes at most. Just hit record, play in a pattern, load an amp sim preset included with the library, done.

Can I do lead playing?

The range of the open sustain patch is Bb2 to G5. This is not the whole range of the guitar, however, and we specifically did not record common lead articulations or implement any kind of legato system. That's because this isn't meant to be a lead library, and we accept that there are actually other (more expensive) products out there that can really do convincing leads. Rhythm was the weak area so that's what we focused on.

Can I do chords?

We sampled open notes and powerchords (1-5-1), and nothing more than that. You can of course play in your own chords using the open sus or mute patches, but again, the focus of the library is rock/metal and filling in the niche (big, chuggy riffs, rapid thrashing, etc.) that was previously neglected. We may at some point do another library that is oriented toward jazz/pop rhythm playing in which case we would dedicate more time + space to chords.

so i just picked up shreddage, by impact soundworks (zircon and bustatunez). has anyone else had the time to play with it yet? it's bloody fantastic! sixto's the guitarist, and it's really easy to use.

go check out the demos at their site, which recently got redesigned. awesome stuff.

if there's a thread about this somewhere else, just delete this...but i couldn't find a release thread by searching IS or shreddage.

So it's possible to use this with the Kontakt Player?

Will the samples themselves require more processor performance, or does that depend on the sampler (i.e. running the jazz guitar sample from KONTAKT free library will take same amount of processing power as one of these beast guitar samples)?

I didn't see any system requirements up on the Shreddage product page, so if I can run the samples I really wanna get it. :P

Also, since it's just rhythm guitars, I'm assuming it's not very easy to get a solo lead guitar sound out of this; am I right?

So it's possible to use this with the Kontakt Player?

Will the samples themselves require more processor performance, or does that depend on the sampler (i.e. running the jazz guitar sample from KONTAKT free library will take same amount of processing power as one of these beast guitar samples)?

I didn't see any system requirements up on the Shreddage product page, so if I can run the samples I really wanna get it. :P

Also, since it's just rhythm guitars, I'm assuming it's not very easy to get a solo lead guitar sound out of this; am I right?

a sample's a sample. shouldn't need more performance stuff - what takes the performance cake is all the distortion. these are dry samples.

you can get a decent lead sound, but it's more rhythm-focused.

seriously though, i was just playing in FL and you can do some sick stuff with it. it's a lot of fun to goof with. hard to play on the keyboard, but that's likely because i suck at keyboard in general.

Thanks Brad! We're going to be making an official thread for this tonight or tomorrow since the "real" release date is actually Valentine's.

Neblix, this actually does NOT truly work in the free Kontakt Player. The Player will load 3rd-party samples for 30 minutes at a time but that's it. You ideally need the full version of Kontakt which is well-worth it (you can get an educational version for <$300 I'm sure, and it is probably the single best piece of music software I could recommend.) That being said we do intend on doing a DirectWave (FL) version too sometime, but I can't guarantee when it will be released.

Thanks Brad! We're going to be making an official thread for this tonight or tomorrow since the "real" release date is actually Valentine's.

Neblix, this actually does NOT truly work in the free Kontakt Player. The Player will load 3rd-party samples for 30 minutes at a time but that's it. You ideally need the full version of Kontakt which is well-worth it (you can get an educational version for <$300 I'm sure, and it is probably the single best piece of music software I could recommend.) That being said we do intend on doing a DirectWave (FL) version too sometime, but I can't guarantee when it will be released.

Actually Kontakt Player only plays 3rd party samples for 15 minutes, but total recall is not disabled. (It's how I've been using reFX software demos for months).

That being said, I have Shreddage as well and it is amazingly easy to use. Loving it!

PS- The second .RAR file wouldn't work for me. It keeps telling me it was archived wrong when I try to extract it :-/

Awwwww... :(

Forget it, then. I'm not allowed to spend big money (anything over 20 dollars is what my family considers big money)

I'll buy it in the future, but for now I'll stick with asking people for collabs.

Just asking; are you going to make your own VST for this in the future?

didn't mean to co-opt you guys =) i'm just really excited for a replacement for virtual guitarist. not really a replacement, but it works, which is all i care about.

now make one for acoustic guitars!

Ok sweet, I got the double tracked thing to work but running all that with the two amps goin and stuff is really kick ass but it's suckin down my cpu lol. I figured a computer with dual core processor 2.9 ghz and 3.25 gigs of ram would be able to handle somethin like this lol xD. Maybe I'm just doin somethin wrong =/.

Ok sweet, I got the double tracked thing to work but running all that with the two amps goin and stuff is really kick ass but it's suckin down my cpu lol. I figured a computer with dual core processor 2.9 ghz and 3.25 gigs of ram would be able to handle somethin like this lol xD. Maybe I'm just doin somethin wrong =/.

What's your sample rate set at? Even the fastest CPU will overload if you're running above 44.1 or 48khz.

It's set to 44.1 khz.

I am completely stuck. I've messed with all the settings that I think would affect cpu usage and I've closed Reason and tried it (I've been usin Reason in Rewire on recent projects.) and still no use.

Edit 02/23/2010: Another thing I noticed is when I run shreddage double tracked(I'm pretty sure I'm doin it right) and run the amps is when all the cpu gets sucked and when I bypass the amps and just play the guitar dry, it plays perfectly fine. So either I'm doin somethin wrong or my computer isn't as great as I thought lol -_-.

It's set to 44.1 khz.

I am completely stuck. I've messed with all the settings that I think would affect cpu usage and I've closed Reason and tried it (I've been usin Reason in Rewire on recent projects.) and still no use.

Edit 02/23/2010: Another thing I noticed is when I run shreddage double tracked(I'm pretty sure I'm doin it right) and run the amps is when all the cpu gets sucked and when I bypass the amps and just play the guitar dry, it plays perfectly fine. So either I'm doin somethin wrong or my computer isn't as great as I thought lol -_-.

How intensive are the amps? lol

Obviously, it would perform better with the dry guitar sounds, so maybe it's your amps that are just too strong for your processor.

well, no offense intended, guys, but duh. just playing samples doesn't do much of anything to CPU usage compared to running a complex amp modeler like GR4 or something.

likely your cpu cycles are getting sucked into your amp, and so it's struggling to handle itself in real time. if turning up your latency doesn't work, turn up your awesomeness and get a better system :<