Sonar Studio vs. Producer

It seems like it should be a simple google, but I can't seem find a list of all the differences between Sonar 8 Studio and Producer editions. Do any of the Sonar users have a recommendation. What I'm most curious about is how good the orchestral samples are in the Studio edition? From what I have been able to gather, it seems like the biggest difference between Studio and Producer is the amount of effects, including V-Vocal, and synths. I don't really care about synths or effects beyond the basics. But I do need some good instrument samples and Session Drummer.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Sonar8-5-Producer-8-5-Studio.aspx?Prod=SR8.5

click on "Producer Exclusives" and scroll down.

What I haven't been able to find is if Garritan Pocket Orchestra comes with Dimension LE that comes with SONAR Studio. If it doesn't, then you're really need Producer to do anything orchestral. Otherwise there's nothing.

I have Producer. I say, "get Producer."

There seem to be a lot of things out there that can get the same things done as session drummer, so I really don't miss it (I have Sonar SE). But I would pay the extra for V-Vocal. Compared to the way I have to work with Antares AutoTune, V-Vocal looks so cleanly integrated. But I use AutoTune every day, so it's a big priority for me. If my biggest priority was drum samples/sequencing, one option would be to take what you would save on PE and put it towards Battery or something similar.

Thanks for moving the thread.

And thanks for all the advice guys. Mustin, I can't find the Producer Exclusives link ANYWHERE.

I've got a brochure type of thing however from my local shop which highlights the differences, and it too says that Pocket Orchestra is only included in the Studio version. That's interesting. Yet, you still suggest Producer Edition. What do you use to make orchestral stuff?

Also. How much better is Session Drummer 3 than 2, soundwise?

How much better is Session Drummer 3 than 2, soundwise?

Session Drummer 2 was cool and you could get some great sounding drum parts from it, same with 3. SD3 sounds really nice, but the only thing is that you don't get much versatility with it since it's all pre-processed,and the processing is pretty extreme so getting back to a more dry/natural sound can be impossible with certain kits, leaving you only a couple kits that you can really work with in terms of creating your own sound, and if you don't like the timbre or character of those couple kits, you're stuck.

Is my local store trying to rip me off? It costs 500 bucks for Sonar Studio 8.5 But I can buy Sonar Studio 8 for just 300. I thought that if you buy 8, you are granted 8.5 as a download free of charge. I just want to make sure, before I buy this thing on Amazon.

http://www.cakewalk.com/sonarupgrade/

If you haven't yet, you've got one more week to take advantage on the upgrade deal:

"Purchases or upgrades to SONAR 8 must be made on or after July 1st, 2009 through March 1st, 2010. SONAR V-Studio 700 purchases are eligible for the 8.5 upgrade, no matter when the V-Studio 700 was purchased."

Yes I think you are being ripped off for SONAR 8.5 at that price, though I personally prefer to purchase from the official Cakewalk store. Depending on what cakewalk product you already have, the upgrade prices will vary. It'll cost me $349 to upgrade to producer or $449 if I was a just a registered cakewalk member. As for studio it'll cost me $199 to upgrade, I've been using Sonar Home Studio 7 XL and have gotten frustrated with the interface compared to Cakewalk Music Creator 4.

I'm getting Producer soon.

Though if you've already made your purchase, hope you scored the best deal possible :).

Oh crap. I just noticed that it says the offer is not valid in Japan. I just ordered it a few hours ago. I ordered the American one though. Well, we'll see what happens I guess. Even if I can't get the free upgrade, buying on the Cakewalk shop along witht the main program from Amazon still ends up being cheaper. Plus I can use it in English instead of Japanese. I hope it arrives soon enough so I can at least TRY to get the free upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I got Sonar Studio Edition and have been enjoying unbearable frustration ever since, from not being able to buy the 8.5 update from the Cakewalk Store for some reason to customer support ignoring my email about the problem to not getting the sound I was hoping for out of the bass drums in Session Drummer 2. Yay, Sonar!

Anyway, I do have a question. I am trying to rectify the bass drum thing, and to do so I'll need to do some EQing. but I can't figure out how to add some Sonitus EQ to JUST the bass drum. Have every part of the drum set on a different midi channel. do I need a separate synth track for EVERY part as well? Is there any help or tutorial you guys can offer me.

Thanks again. You guys are the best. Living in your world of music production is freaking hard though. Hahaha.

I am trying to rectify the bass drum thing, and to do so I'll need to do some EQing. but I can't figure out how to add some Sonitus EQ to JUST the bass drum. Have every part of the drum set on a different midi channel. do I need a separate synth track for EVERY part as well? Is there any help or tutorial you guys can offer me.

Thanks again. You guys are the best. Living in your world of music production is freaking hard though. Hahaha.

You have it backwards there. You only need ONE MIDI track to control the synth. To get EQ on separate channels you need to create more audio outputs for the synth. So yes, you need to let Session Drummer use more audio outs, then route the kick drum to its own audio output, and then you can add EQ to just that one piece.

You have it backwards there. You only need ONE MIDI track to control the synth. To get EQ on separate channels you need to create more audio outputs for the synth. So yes, you need to let Session Drummer use more audio outs, then route the kick drum to its own audio output, and then you can add EQ to just that one piece.

Oh! I can do it with just one MIDI track? That's awesome. I'll get on it after work today. Thank you.