Advice For An Aspiring Guitarist (likes to self teach)

Nabeel Ansari

Hey, everyone.

I just bought a cheap new electric guitar from First Act and I was hoping to get some advice on what the BEST way to self teach is.

More specifically, whether I should learn scales first or chords first, what chords should I learn, what scales are easy for beginners, etc.?

I'm sorry if this is a broad question, but I'd rather get some input from people who do the same thing I wanna do; use electric guitar in video game remixes. :P

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience it's best to learn first all the notes on the guitar. To know exactly what note you are making when you hold down string X on fret Y. Then learn the chords. Then you figure out the scales based on the chords.

You should start by learning the basic three finger chords. Prepare yourself for a long journey. You're looking at years of training before you can even start using electric guitar in remixes

Is there a reason you have to teach yourself first? It's a decent way to get your body familiar with it, but there's a lot strict rules in place for the best ways of HOW to do what - I learned that the hard way from several years of (failed) piano practice.

If you can, get a certified teacher to get you started on lessons. Self-teaching I don't recommend as much at all.

I would suggest picking up a copy of Barrett Tagliarino's Guitar Fretboard Workbook. Best book I've ever found for building up knowledge of the fretboard, including notes, scales, and chords. It has plenty of exercises and will keep you busy for a while.

You'll want to supplement it with something that has you actually playing songs, however.

Is there a reason you have to teach yourself first? It's a decent way to get your body familiar with it, but there's a lot strict rules in place for the best ways of HOW to do what - I learned that the hard way from several years of (failed) piano practice.

If you can, get a certified teacher to get you started on lessons. Self-teaching I don't recommend as much at all.

Self teaching is better for me. I want to self teach not only because it's free but because I work best alone. I don't mean to shoot you down but I don't want to pay to be taught something I can teach myself.

Self teaching is better for me. I want to self teach not only because it's free but because I work best alone. I don't mean to shoot you down but I don't want to pay to be taught something I can teach myself.

It's not just information, it's also kinda cirriculum too. There's a reason there is a relatively good market for Guitar teachers out there. A book is fine, but a book is not going to be able to actually hear what you're playing and how you're playing it to see if you're doing it right or not.

Don't get this mindset that you do it the best alone, because it is highly erronious. I can almost guarantee you you'll want to quit NOW with that mindset and not waste your time. That's not to say a self-teaching venture will be hopeless, but those odds are against you.

It's not just information, it's also kinda cirriculum too. There's a reason there is a relatively good market for Guitar teachers out there. A book is fine, but a book is not going to be able to actually hear what you're playing and how you're playing it to see if you're doing it right or not.

Don't get this mindset that you do it the best alone, because it is highly erronious. I can almost guarantee you you'll want to quit NOW with that mindset and not waste your time. That's not to say a self-teaching venture will be hopeless, but those odds are against you.

If you don't think the way I'm learning is good, that's fine. But as long as its possible, I'm not gonna quit.

Sorry but if you don't like it then don't read the thread. :/

Also, there is absolutely zero proof supporting your claim that the "odds are against me".

Some of the greatest guitarists out there were self taught, including Jimmy Page, Jimmi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Steve Vai, Alan Holdsworth...I could go on and on. I taught myself how to play but I had already developed an ear for music from years of playing violin and piano. I wouldn't say the odds are against you at all, you'll just have to put more effort into learning the instrument without someone there to guide you.

Anyway, I suggest you buy a nice chord book. I don't know if you have an Android phone, but there's a neat free app I just found called Guitar Scales. You put in your chord and mode and the scale comes up showing you every fret on the fretboard.

I also suggest you start with chords. Learning the chord shapes and being able to switch between chords fast and cleanly. Learn your barred chords and know where to play them across the neck. You'll be developing your strength in your left hand so once you start learning lead guitar it'll be easier. PM me or look for me on #ocremix if you have any more questions.

Also, there is absolutely zero proof supporting your claim that the "odds are against me".

Well there wouldn't be at this early point, you haven't put years of effort in.

You have to remember that for every Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendrix who succeeded to their height being self-taught, there's about 50,000 other people who didn't, probably half that not even coming close to close. It's easy to glorify self-teaching when you drop names like those and say "Stevie Ray Vaughn's self taught and look at him!" because you're looking at what he achieved by TODAY and looking back.

It doesn't work at square one looking forward.

I mean, its always possible you'll make something out of it, but I don't ever recommend self-teaching over good old fashioned instructors. Those people gotta eat too, you know.

Well there wouldn't be at this early point, you haven't put years of effort in.

You have to remember that for every Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendrix who succeeded to their height being self-taught, there's about 50,000 other people who didn't, probably half that not even coming close to close. It's easy to glorify self-teaching when you drop names like those and say "Stevie Ray Vaughn's self taught and look at him!" because you're looking at what he achieved by TODAY and looking back.

It doesn't work at square one looking forward.

I mean, its always possible you'll make something out of it, but I don't ever recommend self-teaching over good old fashioned instructors. Those people gotta eat too, you know.

Hey I didn't say anything about Stevie Ray Vaughn/insert other guitarist here.

Mostly because I've never heard the names of any guitarists before. From my point of view, people like Sixto Sounds and Fishy are the famous guitarists. :/

But that's besides the point;

even if you say "Those people gotta eat too" it's not like everyone self teaches, I'm sure they each have at least 1 student. I shouldn't pay someone just because I know it'll help them pay the bills; I pay them because they give me something I can't normally (or legally) get for free.

Knowing how to play guitar is not exclusive to being taught by someone else, so as long as it's possible I'm not gonna give up because I know it'll be hard. I will give up when the time comes to give up.

Until then, stop trying to persuade me to not self teach my self.

I appreciated the advice the first time you posted, you don't need to make more posts about it. If you really need to, PM me about it because this thread is specifically for the best way in several opinions how to self teach, not whether self teaching is better/worse than paying to be instructed.

I appreciated the advice the first time you posted, you don't need to make more posts about it. If you really need to, PM me about it because this thread is specifically for the best way in several opinions how to self teach, not whether self teaching is better/worse than paying to be instructed.

You're taking a lot of my points differently or much further than they were intended, but ok, you're right, that's not what this topic is about. I'm just suggesting its not the best way to get to your goal.

Yeah, there's a chance you won't be able to learn a thing. There's also a chance you'll do just fine. Weird, huh?

I think my current knowledge of music theory would be able to help me out, I understand chords and rhythm, etc. But for me the main challenge is knowing my way around the fretboard and then getting strong and fast enough to move around on it.

You're taking a lot of my points differently or much further than they were intended, but ok, you're right, that's not what this topic is about. I'm just suggesting its not the best way to get to your goal.

Alright, yeah, I'm sorry for freakin on you. I appreciate the advice; I'm not ignoring you, I just don't think following your advice is something that is the best for me yet.

Oh, thats how we're going to play the game?

I see your Dream Theatre and raise you Steve Hackett.

Neblix, just promise me you won't be one of those asshole guitar guys who's all about the tricks and not the song. Steve Hackett does both, but he does it to show off the song, not his guitar skillz.

THIS IS WHO YOU SHOULD BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:D

Oh, thats how we're going to play the game?

I see your Dream Theatre and raise you Steve Hackett.

Neblix, just promise me you won't be one of those asshole guitar guys who's all about the tricks and not the song. Steve Hackett does both, but he does it to show off the song, not his guitar skillz.

THIS IS WHO YOU SHOULD BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:D

You're forgetting that I'm usually the guy that sucks at production and usually doesn't pay attention to production. lol xD

My music is still primarily focused on music.

But that does sound interesting, I might start listening to some of this guy's music. Thanks :D