Super Mario 64 - Fantastic Man

FM

The grammophone-player effect or whatever that is, is just too loud/should have ended after the intro. It's a bit annoying IMO. Other than that the mix could use some more treble frequencies or more prominent leads. No synth really stands out.

Though I'm far from an expert, should be added, these are just my own spontanous reactions.

Otherwise, pretty cool. Nice use of original samples, though possibly a bit too much. Good mesh of sounds overall.

"Look so good, fantastic man". Nice lyrics ^^

The record player thing isn't actually an effect - a lot of the beat is made up of samples from an old 7". That also explains why there isn't a lot of high end - I was trying to meld it in with the rest of the sound. The idea with this mix is that it's a weird 45 you stumble on while digging, but I can definitely see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, and your reactions are totally valid. I really doubt it'll be accepted by the judges, but I can hope.

Umm...

First off, this made my night - I got a mental image of Jimmy T. from WarioWare dancin' down at the Kremlin Discotheque and I was sold. Definite, DEFINITE props for originality.

The wavy sounds that pop in at the beginning are a bit too...wavy. Too much frequency-hopping for my personal taste - maybe control that a bit? I think it really wants to be a natural-sounding guitar, but it's stuck wiggling about. The sound-clips are classy to the max - to be as neutral as I can, this piece gets a lot of charm from them.

If you're aiming to submit this, you could probably squeak by on originality - then again, because you're using the cap theme underneath all the time, you could get the 'too-conservative' stamp. As it is, I bloody like it - it's fresh, original, and charming. Some instrumentation (the synths) need a bit of rework, but this is totally submittable with a few modifications.

Great work, man! And thanks for making my 15-minute writing break random and awesome.

Wow, that's actually an awesome concept, probably one of the coolest things I've heard on the WIP board. After seeing that it was supposedly "similar" to an orchestra medley, the intro completely threw me for a loop.

The record hiss is kind of overbearing, though. Can it be EQed down without weakening the samples? The panning also feels a bit unbalanced, with a lot of soundscape-filling stuff crammed slightly to the left. Might partially be shitty headphones on my end, but it makes it a bit uncomfortable to listen to.

Don't let the guitar play the Starman theme all the time. In places where another lead instrument is playing, such as at 0:37, it's playing too loud. Change up the parts more. How much did you sample from the 7"? Sounds like it's just the beat. Chop it up, and create new beats out of it for other parts of the remix.

I dig it, like the vibe. Doubt it'll get posted for reasons above (too repetitive, mix is too dark, vinyl crackles kinda loud, etc.) but I like what you're doing. I was kinda bored and ended up sampling it for a nice house thing:

http://tindeck.com/listen/gkft

Very barebones, low quality, and probably a different feel than you were planning on going for but its kinda funky and a different way to think about your song.

I like this. A slice of realness that will never get accepted but should. The unfortunate thing about OCR is they have a strong bias for what they like, or so it seems. Anything "weird" or intentionally detuned I find flies right over their heads.

I like the crackles, but I'd find some way to keep them in the intro but kill them after. I'd like something like a filtered intro that runs for 8 counts, maybe 16, that has the crackle and then breaks it down into that sound that you've got here

I like this. A slice of realness that will never get accepted but should. The unfortunate thing about OCR is they have a strong bias for what they like, or so it seems. Anything "weird" or intentionally detuned I find flies right over their heads.

I like the crackles, but I'd find some way to keep them in the intro but kill them after. I'd like something like a filtered intro that runs for 8 counts, maybe 16, that has the crackle and then breaks it down into that sound that you've got here

I don't think it will be rejected on the account that it's weird. This doesn't sound weird, in fact. The remix plays the same melody over and over again during the entire song and that alone is grounds for rejection. There's just very little variation going on here.

I don't think it will be rejected on the account that it's weird. This doesn't sound weird, in fact. The remix plays the same melody over and over again during the entire song and that alone is grounds for rejection. There's just very little variation going on here.

You're right that it's repetitive, but it's the chords/rythmn that are repetitive, not the melody. There's actually a lot of variation in the melody and very little repetition (for disco anyway)

Anyway I'm definitely not blaming the judges, they are completely justified in whatever they end up doing. I'm glad this has gotten out to so many people anyway and I hope I can get a more real disco mix on the site sometime in the future

You're right that it's repetitive, but it's the chords/rythmn that are repetitive, not the melody. There's actually a lot of variation in the melody and very little repetition (for disco anyway)

Anyway I'm definitely not blaming the judges, they are completely justified in whatever they end up doing. I'm glad this has gotten out to so many people anyway and I hope I can get a more real disco mix on the site sometime in the future

The thing you'll find is you'll have to make a lot of cuts in some typical genre's style in order to conform specifically to the site's standard, and its true for more than disco.

Really clever use of the Uh! sound from Mario. I might have to "borrow" that for some music of my own. Even if it's not Mario related!

I like the groove. This song is a little "different" but I totally like that. I'm digging this. Well done.

The Synths and sound effects was definately the best part, though. Crazy.

The beat got a little repetetive around the last minute or so.

Keep making stuff!