So, OCR, I ask your musical opinion: Which Mahler symphony should I get?

EC2151

I've been listening to a whole lot of Steve Reich as of late, as well as some Conlon Nancarrow here and there...

But now i got thinking, I need some music with some punch.

Some music with some force.

Music with POWER.

And frankly, the person that comes to mind when I think power is ol' Gustav Mahler.

I'm a pretty big classical nut, if you can't tell.

However, despite so, I've never listened to a Mahler symphony in its entirety, except for maybe 8 (been a long time).

I'm thinking about purchasing Sibelius No. 5, but that's a later purchase (with some Terry Riley for good measure).

So I ask the music aficionados around here: If you could recommend a particular symphony by Mahler (if you've listened to one, or even more than one), is there one you'd like to tell me to get?

The Titan symphony is what's on my mind in particular, but that's only because of the remix found in the game

I know this will probably won't get a whole lot of replies from people 'in the know', but any suggestions are appreciated. After all, I'm jus' lookin' for some good music.

Hope asking for Mahler recommendations doesn't make me look all that snobbish.

But, if it does...

person_09.jpg

Man, I was never able to get into Mahler. I feel like a terrible person for it, but honestly I'd rather listen to Steve Reich pretty much all the time.

When I'm looking for orchestral music with power, I normally turn to Shostakovich. Especially symphony 4! Symphony 5 is good too of course but the 4th symphony holds a special place in my heart :>

His Symphony of the Earth is a pretty damn good one... If you want to start somewhere, that's a good place. It's basically his Ninth Symphony, but he named it that so he wouldn't write his Ninth, because, you know, if you write your Ninth you'll die after.

He then wrote his Ninth, and he died after... goddamn curse...

...but yeah, that's a good one.

My roommate at college (a composition major) LOVED Mahler and gave me recommendations all the time. I'm like Doug in that I've never really gotten into him, but the ones he recommended to start with were 1, 4, and 5. Still have those on my computer, in fact. Also he was really taken by the Benjamin Zander versions of those symphonies, if that means anything.

mahler wrote some pretty good emotional stuff; clearly influenced by the german and austrian composers before him. i especially like his "ninth" and like Gario pointed out, he went and died after it anyway lol and yes that's a wonderful place to start into the spiritual, haunting world of mahler.

doug, shostakovich is a personal favorite of mine, especially 4 :) whaddya know?

for other composers who really tug my heart-strings, check out maslanka's more recent symphonies. they're powerful, man, really powerful.

noted. i'll be checking this out

oh yeah, if you've been listening to a lot of Reich, you should listen to some of John Adams more large-scale works! Short ride in a fast machine, nixon in china, lullapalooza (I think that's what it's called)... you can't go wrong!

also:

maslanka's a band guy mainly, i should note. great use of the flexible orchestration in the bad setting, however.

HAH

I am quite familiar with Adams and Arvo Part. I would have bought an Part box set, but didn't because half of the CDs were different recordings of Fratres.

I'd love to see Nixon in China or Dr. Atomic one day. I actually bought Adams' autobiography, which is a great read for any composer.

I also got a Rautavaara symphony not too long ago. Really great stuff.

But I feel like stepping back from the modern and going to a bit of the more old-school, as it were (I'd call Mahler and Strauss pretty much the last of the 'traditional' old school, despite being revolutionary in their own right).

And that's a pretty good and topical comparison, that Shosty's No5. is like the Pigmask Anthem.

I'm thinking due to general acclaim, I might go with 9 to start as well as perhaps Shosty's 5 (since most people seem to be pushing that as well).

I've never listened to Bruckner before, and I hear mixed things about him.

From "He is really fucking awesome!" to "He tried to write the same symphony 9 times. He failed each time."

But I feel like stepping back from the modern and going to a bit of the more old-school, as it were (I'd call Mahler and Strauss pretty much the last of the 'traditional' old school, despite being revolutionary in their own right).

no don't! I meant to mention this before, but are you at all familiar with the works of James Wood? Some of the most out there music i've ever heard/played... and some of the most powerful. He's got a solo percussion piece, percussion quartet, and microtonal percussion quintet that is some of the most moving music I've ever heard... and i don't understand it one bit!

Well, thanks for your input, OCR.

I decided on purchasing two CDs.

I got myself Haitink's version of Shostakovich's 4th and 9th symphonies.

And I bought Leonard Bernstein's Mahler's 9th.

I was thinking about supporting the home team and purchasing Boulez and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's 9th, but the reviews indicate what I know already about Boulez the composer: Musically and technically stellar, but emotionally lacking. I might buy some of Boulez' interpretations later, but for now I wanted something to tug the heartstrings.

I chose Haitink because Bernstein's version of Shosty's 4th might be a bit TOO emotional; it lacks the irony that exists in other versions (namely the Karajan one). Not to say that I don't like the Bernstein Shosty; far from it. But I'll go on the path less traveled.

But thanks for all the suggestions. I know what to look for in the future as well!