Workshop Forum Restructuring

djpretzel

We've restructured the workshop forums again, for clarity and also visibility. We've also enforced thread prefixes in the "Post Your Game ReMixes!" and "Post Your Originals!" forums, to add some consistency to how people denote whether something's a WIP, finished, or something else (album, multiple mixes, etc.)...

Before:

• Category: General
    • Workshop
      • FruityLoops
      • Guides & Tutorials
      • Reason
      • Recruitment & Collaboration

After:

• Category: Workshop
    • Music Composition & Production (Workshop Discussion, Fruity, Reason merged here)
      • Guides & Tutorials

[*]Post Your Game ReMixes!

[*]Post Your Originals!

[*]Recruit & Collaborate!

We have not yet merged the FruityLoops and Reason sub-forums; we're still not 100% on that change. We will likely add optional thread prefixes in the "Music Composition & Production" forum to help identify tips, questions, gear reviews, etc., and at that point Fruity and Reason sub-forums may be unnecessary.

We'd love your feedback on these changes. To give you some insight into our decisions, we do realize that "Post Your Game ReMixes!" at least initially seems a little goofy/overenthusiastic, but when we all thought about it more, we decided it made sense. That's what the forum's there for, after all. We were aiming for simplicity, clarity, and more visibility for the workshop forums, which we aim to continue refining and improving throughout the year.

This being our first use of thread prefixes, my own initial reaction is that we need to make them a bit prettier so that they stand out in some way, whether through icons, bold text, etc. We'll also have to review all of our policy and documentation to ensure that references to these forums are updated to their new names.

So, let us know what you think - we're pretty sure we're happy with the new structure, but only time will tell!

Thanks,

- djp

Yeah... Not really a fan of the forum titles. They do seem goofy and overenthusiastic. It's the exclamation points that ruin it. But otherwise, neat. This makes navigation much more smooth. Plus, to me, a self-proclaimed minimalist (read: huge douchebag), the less unnecessary satellite forums the better. Please note unnecessary. I'm not advocating the deletion of Off-Topic or PPR. Though with these newfangled prefixes they could easily be combined into one forum.

Is there a place on this forum where members who want can post their skillsets for the community to see, a place not limited to music skills? If I want a sig done for me, or want to pay someone to design a site, is there a place I can find that?

If not, I think it would be worth stickying somewhere, maybe in the collab/recruitment forums? Maybe music related skills would go it recruitment/collab and misc skills in community? It (they) could be managed like the sale/want thread, people could post their terms if they don't do freebies.

Yeah... Not really a fan of the forum titles. They do seem goofy and overenthusiastic. It's the exclamation points that ruin it. But otherwise, neat. This makes navigation much more smooth. Plus, to me, a self-proclaimed minimalist (read: huge douchebag), the less unnecessary satellite forums the better. Please note unnecessary. I'm not advocating the deletion of Off-Topic or PPR. Though with these newfangled prefixes they could easily be combined into one forum.

I don't know, they're not that bad! Given time and exposure I'm sure you'll get used to them!

I suggest shortening the type of topic titles. Instead of Work-In-Progress, use WIP. Instead of Finished you could have Fin. and instead of Album/Other, you could have A/O.

Worst comes to worst you can have another topic specifying what each abbreviation. means.

Would much rather force a line break for the prefix and title to avoid shortening the prefixes.

If it were me, I wouldn't necessarily merge the two forums (Reason and FL Studio), however if I absolutely had to so as to make it easier to navigate, I would just merge to a main forum for hardware and software. So it could still be under Workshop, but be called something else, and still have the same effect for people seeking answers to questions they have for a multitude of hardware and software applications as pertains to audio creation.

In other words: Gear and DAW Forum.

To describe it: "forum for the discussion of audio hardware, software and related topics".

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not too crazy about merging the FL/Reason forums either. Not to say we should go all over the place and have a forum for every single mainstream DAW/audio production software but at least the main ones are popular enough to have their own forum, so it's easier to post specific problems instead of people going "I want my instruments to sound this way, oh I'm using FL by the way..."

The different forums we have right now are not too numerous. I go to a game development forum where every aspect (programming, design, etc) is broken up nicely while still making sense, and not overwhelming. It even has a "for newbies" section for addressing basic problems. I personally don't think we really need a newbies section but I'm throwing it out there now that I mentioned it.

• 1 month later...