Super Street Fighter IV

Bleck

Anyone who is planning on buying a stick check your local gamestop and ask if they have any Madcatz Marvel vs Capcom TE fight sticks. It is literally the same as the SF4 tourney edition stick but with different artwork but it costs 60 dollars less at 99.99USD.

dude most of these arcade sticks are not made to last. it ready dosen't matter which one you buy.

I disagree completely, the Madcatz SE and TE sticks are amazing. I have an SE stick that I've swapped out the TE parts into, and it's the best joystick I've ever owned. Plenty durable also.

If you're not playing with a joystick, it's likely because you haven't surpassed the limitations of the pad yet. It's that much difference.

The madcatz sticks are great, the buttons and stick are all sanwa parts and are literally the exact same parts you'd see in a cabinet. It's also infinitely more comfortable and well designed than your average custom job. Try one sometime!

I disagree completely, the Madcatz SE and TE sticks are amazing. I have an SE stick that I've swapped out the TE parts into, and it's the best joystick I've ever owned. Plenty durable also.

If you're not playing with a joystick, it's likely because you haven't surpassed the limitations of the pad yet. It's that much difference.

I am reading now that HORI fighting sticks for the 360 are very good, they are also cheaper, user revieews are pretty good, wasnt sure if anyone else has used them here and what they thought of them

Eh i am probably over thinking this. Price wise the SF4 Fighting stick is $50 or i can get the TE Edition for $100. Spending the extra $50 will probably workout in the long run

I consider myself a very good and competent player when it comes to fighting games like SF4, Blazblue, GG, ect.. and i have never seen the advantage of playing with a joystick over a gamepad.

I consider myself a very good and competent player when it comes to fighting games like SF4, Blazblue, GG, ect.. and i have never seen the advantage of playing with a joystick over a gamepad.

i use the MadCatz controller now for both PS3 and 360. I like it right now but i find some of Cammy's moves kind of hard to do.

There are a ton of reasons. Forcing your thumb to do all the directional work is slower than being able to use all of your fingers, your wrist and your arm. This is especially important for double-tapping to dash, for example. Button access on a stick is way easier. You have 8 buttons on the front instead of 4. Having to use shoulder buttons, especially on the left shoulder, reduces your reaction time. It's simply not as fast. Plus, with a pad configuration, it's next to impossible to do piano inputs (rolling across all 3 punches and all 3 kicks in quick succession to do tightly-timed reversals or supers), since on a stick you can use three fingers, but on a pad you have to contort your hand into a weird position, if you're able to do it at all.

And the list goes on. There's a reason why maybe 1 high-level tournament player out of 100 uses a pad, and everyone else uses a stick... including people who don't practice at arcades. I played HDR and SF4 for months on a 360 controller, and while the transition was hard at first, having access to 8 front buttons, being able to dash consistently, do piano inputs and have more control over directionals was well worth it.

i used to think this way but its definitely a difference after i tried the alternative sticks and buttons are much faster and easier to use

also i preordered this game and don't even have my xbox back yet go me

There are a ton of reasons. Forcing your thumb to do all the directional work is slower than being able to use all of your fingers, your wrist and your arm. This is especially important for double-tapping to dash, for example. Button access on a stick is way easier. You have 8 buttons on the front instead of 4. Having to use shoulder buttons, especially on the left shoulder, reduces your reaction time. It's simply not as fast. Plus, with a pad configuration, it's next to impossible to do piano inputs (rolling across all 3 punches and all 3 kicks in quick succession to do tightly-timed reversals or supers), since on a stick you can use three fingers, but on a pad you have to contort your hand into a weird position, if you're able to do it at all.

I think it's what you spend the most time with. I have no trouble hitting shoulder buttons or doing command throws with Zief. I think its a matter of adjustment and using what your comfortable with.

Same deal with FPS games when you're talking mouse/keyboard vs. the gamepad. I always prefer the mouse and keyboard because its what i grew up with and i've always felt that the gamepad is just straight up inferior. But watch some players who are really good with the 360 controller and have been using it for years - the things they can do with their hands and the coordination they can put into maneuvering the analog stick to JUST hit that headshot is something i'll probably never be able to duplicate unless I have a mouse. Yea, its not the same thing - but I think you underestimate how much the hand adapts over time to using a game controller.

I think it's what you spend the most time with. I have no trouble hitting shoulder buttons or doing command throws with Zief. I think its a matter of adjustment and using what your comfortable with.

Same deal with FPS games when you're talking mouse/keyboard vs. the gamepad. I always prefer the mouse and keyboard because its what i grew up with and i've always felt that the gamepad is just straight up inferior. But watch some players who are really good with the 360 controller and have been using it for years - the things they can do with their hands and the coordination they can put into maneuvering the analog stick to JUST hit that headshot is something i'll probably never be able to duplicate unless I have a mouse. Yea, its not the same thing - but I think you underestimate how much the hand adapts over time to using a game controller.

ditto.

I for one have always preferred controllers over arcade pads and keyboards.

mainly because that's what i grew up with i never really experienced arcades during their heyday with fighters.(but i did play them a lot on the super nintendo back in the day)

and it's given me this very twitchy thumb after so many years of playing action and fighting games on consoles.

I feel i can hold my own in most fighting games(not particularly great at one but pretty good at most)but if i step into an arcade I'll get my ass kicked I'm not even half as good as I am on a console.

Even after I've adjusted to the controls i still can't play like i can at home.

I have a love/hate relationship with many arcade sticks. Mainly for the double-tap movements.

Hands by themselves are asymmetrical, and I might need to work my thumb twitching more because double-tapping with a thumb takes more effort for me than using the other four fingers. This makes me less consistent with dashes from the right than from the left.

For arcade controls, this isn't much of a problem with the baseball bat types, but it is with the ball-and-stick types.

Yeah, you can get used to a pad, but it's objectively slower and less accurate for so many things. I guess piano inputs are less important in SFIV which has the most relaxed timing ever (you have like 120 frames for reversals, whereas in Super Turbo it's more like... 2-3) but still, it's stuff like that.

I'm sure it will be a fun game. One thing I really hated about Street Fighter IV was Seth. He was a real challenge, and it took forever to beat him it seemed. At least he's not like the final boss in Tekken 6 where he's near impossible to defeat. If he remains a challenge, it's no suprise.

My favorite character to use was Akuma, after learning all his moves.

I'm gonna sound off on this stick vs. pad discussion by adding that I'm a pretty competent player with just the 360 d-pad, and if Zircon's statistic about 1 out of 100 top level players using a pad, well all that does is further prove the point that pads can be used just as effectively. It's all about what you've gotten used to. I'm not denouncing sticks at all though, and I personally wanna give it a shot(although the stories I hear about the SE stick scare me), although I've never been used to them even as a kid. To each his own.

But anyway, so while watching an Ibuki vs. Dudley match, I couldn't help but realize that I was totally digging the music to the Solar Eclipse stage. Totally mellow.

I'm gonna sound off on this stick vs. pad discussion by adding that I'm a pretty competent player with just the 360 d-pad, and if Zircon's statistic about 1 out of 100 top level players using a pad, well all that does is further prove the point that pads can be used just as effectively.

What I meant was that at a tournament, you'll see maybe 1 out of 100 reasonably good players using a pad. I've never seen anyone rank high using a pad. Nobody in the HDR or SFIV finals, semifinals or quarterfinals used one, for example. Once in awhile a pad user will show up and get beaten. So, if anything, that proves MY point which is that they're not as effective as sticks if you really want to get good.

What I meant was that at a tournament, you'll see maybe 1 out of 100 reasonably good players using a pad. I've never seen anyone rank high using a pad. Nobody in the HDR or SFIV finals, semifinals or quarterfinals used one, for example. Once in awhile a pad user will show up and get beaten. So, if anything, that proves MY point which is that they're not as effective as sticks if you really want to get good.

I think it just depends on what you've been using longer.

It's not that pads aren't effective, they just aren't popular.

In my street fighter experience, I grew up with a dreamcast controller. (Third Strike was my first Street Fighter Game)

Now we have an arcade stick to play Third Strike, and it's very difficult for me to play which makes me wish I could play Third Strike [without having to buy it again] with an Xbox Controller because that's what i am used to.

You can beat me while I'm using an arcade stick, but you may not beat me as easily when I use a controller. Sure in tournaments people all use arcade sticks, but these are also probably people who grew up with an actual arcade machine to play street fighter, and not sitting in their dark basement with a dreamcast hooked up to an old Dell Monitor.

That also probably means that there is eventually going to be an increase in pad usage.

I'm sure it will be a fun game. One thing I really hated about Street Fighter IV was Seth. .
agreed

cheap as hell fighting game bosses are a fad that needs done away with

LOL i spammed Seth with Dhalsim's crouching high punch move and won (both rounds yes)

so much for super insane boss battles. :P

(but yeah that guy is fucking annoying)

which makes me wish I could play Third Strike [without having to buy it again] with an Xbox Controller because that's what i am used to.

fair enough (even though it's probably like $10 now).

ok more like $15 but still.(sometimes you have to bite your lip and buy something again especially when it has ONLINE PLAY :D