Super Street Fighter IV

Bleck

Awesome!

You know, speaking of corner combos, I am starting to dislike them a bit. A lot of bad ass combos can be done in the game, but only in the corner.

It seems like the main focus on a lot of characters is to get the person to the corner asap. That kind of takes away the fun for them.

Gimme some mid screen madness! We need more ibuki dial-a-combo-anywhere shenanigans.

Awesome!

You know, speaking of corner combos, I am starting to dislike them a bit. A lot of bad ass combos can be done in the game, but only in the corner.

It seems like the main focus on a lot of characters is to get the person to the corner asap. That kind of takes away the fun for them.

Gimme some mid screen madness! We need more ibuki dial-a-combo-anywhere shenanigans.

I'll look into that tomorrow for you :P

Agreed that corner combos aren't fun, and imo they aren't very useful either, as most chars have decent ways of getting out.

Ibuki's best anywhere combo:

j. hp --> j. mk, cr. hp SJC (very low/fast) mp kunai, lp mp (2) hp neckbreaker. Follow with vortex forever.

Alternatively for less damage but faster reset, finish with lp mp cr. hk st. hk SJC, repeat entire combo if they don't block. If they do block your j. hp, mix it up with empty jump --> immediately ultra 1 on land -- if they don't have a move out before the ultra flash, you win for an extra 500 damage.

Note: If you will crossup after the SJC on the reset, you have to do the j. lk --> j.mk target combo, as it will work to crossup where j. hp will not. Also, adding in the cr. hp and the SJC kunai is VERY hard to do -- if you can't get it 100% skip it and just to target combo into neckbreaker, as a vortex / reset is worth more than an extra 100 damage until you get good enough to make it work.

Input it in like you would a combo in third strike *aka mash the shit out asap*

yeah this seems to be the case - especially combos that start off with crouching attack -> standing attack, I just can't seem to get them unless I'm HAMMERING THE BUTTONS as fast as I can which is just ridiculous

I'm not that good with combos... the most advanced one I can pull off is the typical jump-in attack -> normal -> special -> super that almost every character has. That and some very simple combos into Ultra for a few characters.

In my experience combos aren't as important as everyone seems to think in Street Fighter. Due to the extreme damage scaling they don't do that much more damage than pokes and specials. The important part of the game is getting yourself in a position to do damage, rather than doing the most damage in one combo.

Still, if I want to get better I should probably spend some more time in training mode, learning some better combos for a few characters.

Haha, awesome. I wish I could find the original comic that was based on.

The Ken version of that comic seems to be more popular than the Ryu one. Either way I love the last panel :smile:

...What's plinking?

I'd heard the term before, but I also had to look it up on Shoryuken. It's short for priority linking.

Basically, when executing a link, instead of hitting (for example) HP, you'd hit HP and then (very quickly, on the next frame) also hit MP. When you hit HP it registers. When you input MP as well one frame later, it registers as MP + HP, which effectively also counts as a HP (since HP is stronger). This means you have effectively hit HP twice in a row, meaning a larger chance of pulling off your link.

The Shoryuken guy may be better at explaining it:

I'm an Akuma player, and over the past few days I've been testing out this alternative way of hitting my links.

For instance, for the following BnB combo:

Jump-in, cr.LK, cr.LP, cr.LP, cr.MK xx EX Gohadouken

Note: the link from cr.LP to cr.MK is a one-frame link.

Instead of double-tapping the MK in the above example, what you can do is:

Jump-in, cr.LK, cr.LP, cr.LP, cr.MK+LK (MK~LK input) xx EX Gohadouken

By MK~LK input I mean, you almost-simultaneously press LK and MK buttons with your index and middle fingers, but hit the MK button with your middle finger slightly earlier (1 frame) before the LK button.

If done right, in the training mode with input display on, you should see this:

(second frame) down+LK+MK

(first frame) down+MK

Note: if you pressed the two buttons too fast/simultaneously, you'll see (first frame) down+LK+MK and that's it, no (second frame to speak of). If you pressed the two buttons too slowly, it would have been (first frame) down+MK, (second frame) down+LK.

I've found this method to work more than 90% of the time for me - whereas double-tapping (perhaps due to my poor technique) works maybe half the time.

DISCLAIMER: I have never tried this :smile: