Super Street Fighter IV

Bleck

Hey peeps, You guys still playing? I've been working my skills with Zangief, Makoto, and Ryu. I still want to play people but everyone seems to have an Xbox and since i have a Ps3 thats not happening.

So i took the next best step, my media box gives me an easy way to record my matches and since SSF4 has an awesome replay setup, i decided to throw some up on Youtube for you guys to check out.

This is my 5000+ Zief vs. 8000+ Guile. Really good guile, but once i got him in the corner he didn't know what to do.

My Makoto vs. a 4000+ point Cody. The match is really interesting as there are two perfects and I pull off an amazing finish. Pretty awesome match, though i still think Makoto is pretty weaksauce in SSF4.

I have it for PS3, add me: JamStunna

Also I played Makoto up to 3,000 BP. She is really awful

EDIT- I'll be on tomorrow morning if you want to play

if anyone should be added in, it's

2637423285_226d6f744a.jpg

I don't care too much about Alex. But it's pretty weird that he's not in SSF4. He was supposed to be SF3's main character, hell he's even in Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Haven't played too much Street Fighter lately. The weather has been very warm and it tends to get really hot in the room where my 360 is. I want to get back into the game after watching some Evo matches though.

Mike Ross, Infiltration, and Gamerbee in the Evo2K10 finals.

Much more entertaining that Rufus/Ryu.

last year EVO was the best cuz of the Hype and the Daigo and Wong rematch. and the one thing that made me mad this year was Adam Sessler commentating on the stream. He is a nice guy and know alot about Video games BUT the Fighting Community have better Commentators then him. Odds are thats the deal G4 cut for putting the event on TV and the front page of the website

the one thing that made me mad this year was Adam Sessler commentating on the stream. He is a nice guy and know alot about Video games BUT the Fighting Community have better Commentators then him.

I agree. At least Seth Killian was there as well, and Sessler would mostly let Seth speak.

It was also kind of annoying that Sessler was only there for the last few matches. Not that I would have liked to hear more from him, but it just seems disrespectful - the actual expert commentators only get to do the first two days of Evo, and when the final eight come along and the number of viewers increases, bam there's Sessler.

Hey peeps, You guys still playing? I've been working my skills with Zangief, Makoto, and Ryu. I still want to play people but everyone seems to have an Xbox and since i have a Ps3 thats not happening.

So i took the next best step, my media box gives me an easy way to record my matches and since SSF4 has an awesome replay setup, i decided to throw some up on Youtube for you guys to check out.

This is my 5000+ Zief vs. 8000+ Guile. Really good guile, but once i got him in the corner he didn't know what to do.

My Makoto vs. a 4000+ point Cody. The match is really interesting as there are two perfects and I pull off an amazing finish. Pretty awesome match, though i still think Makoto is pretty weaksauce in SSF4.

lol I'm terrible at sf, but I decided I wanted to learn Makoto ;D

learned some stuff from vid. interesting though, I dunno if I would sweep from karakusa

actually i might then crossup with j mk. hmm. but still i'd do a sweep from aerial mostly D:

lol I'm terrible at sf, but I decided I wanted to learn Makoto ;D

learned some stuff from vid. interesting though, I dunno if I would sweep from karakusa

actually i might then crossup with j mk. hmm. but still i'd do a sweep from aerial mostly D:

Sweep from kara is a total gamble, I only use it if i think I have a good chance of punishing the enemy on wakeup.

Nice vids, but why do you constantly sweep after a karakusa? Why not S.fp into hayate? Doesn't that do way more damage?

I agree. At least Seth Killian was there as well, and Sessler would mostly let Seth speak.

It was also kind of annoying that Sessler was only there for the last few matches. Not that I would have liked to hear more from him, but it just seems disrespectful - the actual expert commentators only get to do the first two days of Evo, and when the final eight come along and the number of viewers increases, bam there's Sessler.

While Sessler may not have the game knowledge of the earlier commentators, he is better trained for the task than anyone else in that room other than Seth Killian. His questions brought out a deeper commentary on the game rather than the rote dictation we saw earlier in the weekend. Add to this that the finals will likely be broadcast on G4TV, where he is an authoritative figure among an audience that wouldn't be able to follow the aforementioned rote dictation, and the reason for his commentating should become obvious.

Newt on the live Stream for any big Street fighter tournament or any Fighting game there is a GOOD commentators.some of the Southern Cal tournaments some of the commentators were lame BUT we in the fighting community dont need a F** like Sessler. you used "Quote authoritative figure among an audience" which audience? the G4 audience yes but for Me who have been watch fighting game Streams for about 2 years and on the biggest stage EVO 2010 for and commentators I get Seth Killian and Adam.... Sessler? :x

Quote "he is better trained for the task than anyone else in that room" shut up you dont know who in that BALL ROOM is trained and we or I dont care if we Majors in commentating. he's not on SRK and he's doesn't have the experience in High level SF Tournaments

Thats why i dont like HIM in the Finals.

@ zircon; s HP-> hayate doesn't do a knockdown

however, sHP-> ex Chop (forgot, i think it's called Oroshi) does a ton of stun and has knockdown and less knockback than sweep so you don't have to walk forward to do a crossup

I figured out today that crossing up ryu is hard even without his srk, he's just hard to hit with j.mk

I know it doesn't always knock down, but do you necessarily always want a knockdown? I'm not a Makoto player, so I don't know, it just seems like a waste since you're not doing nearly as much damage as you could be, plus the mindgames are about the same (you could follow up the punch with another punch, grab, block, etc.)

As for the commentator.. I missed Sessler so I have no idea how he was. However, I agree with Newt that Killian is just about one of the only good commentators in the SF scene, with a couple exceptions (namely the guys that typically comment on the Battlefield Arcadia stuff, like Hu and the other dude.) A lot of them just repeat the moves the characters are doing or ramble about their own personal skills at the game. Killian is simply way better.

While Sessler may not have the game knowledge of the earlier commentators, he is better trained for the task than anyone else in that room other than Seth Killian. His questions brought out a deeper commentary on the game rather than the rote dictation we saw earlier in the weekend. Add to this that the finals will likely be broadcast on G4TV, where he is an authoritative figure among an audience that wouldn't be able to follow the aforementioned rote dictation, and the reason for his commentating should become obvious.
Newt on the live Stream for any big Street fighter tournament or any Fighting game there is a GOOD commentators.some of the Southern Cal tournaments some of the commentators were lame BUT we in the fighting community dont need a F** like Sessler. you used "Quote authoritative figure among an audience" which audience? the G4 audience yes but for Me who have been watch fighting game Streams for about 2 years and on the biggest stage EVO 2010 for and commentators I get Seth Killian and Adam.... Sessler? :x

Quote "he is better trained for the task than anyone else in that room" shut up you dont know who in that BALL ROOM is trained and we or I dont care if we Majors in commentating. he's not on SRK and he's doesn't have the experience in High level SF Tournaments

Thats why i dont like HIM in the Finals.

As for the commentator.. I missed Sessler so I have no idea how he was. However, I agree with Newt that Killian is just about one of the only good commentators in the SF scene, with a couple exceptions (namely the guys that typically comment on the Battlefield Arcadia stuff, like Hu and the other dude.) A lot of them just repeat the moves the characters are doing or ramble about their own personal skills at the game. Killian is simply way better.

Look -- commenting sports (or anything) has less to do with your specific detailed knowledge about something, and more about your professionalism and tone. Everyone at EVO except s-kill and Adam simply took verbal dictation of the matches, without making any attempt to explain to a larger audience what was happening. Marvel 2's commentators were speaking so quickly trying to say every single move that it was easier to watch by turning your sound off...not ideal at all.

If the community wants e-sports to be taken seriously, the next big step is to get professional casters in. I have the same issue about poor casting of games with Heroes of Newerth atm -- I love watching the games but 9/10 of the time the casting is completely unprofessional, with mixed levels (also a problem at evo, and a subject beyond the scope of this tiny post) and very little said beyond an aid for a blind person who couldn't see the match in the first place.

Assume that you want to reach someone who knows the basic rules of Street Fighter and nothing else -- Adam Sessler did a MUCH better job there explaning things than anyone else (again, except Seth who did a great job also). I'm not a big fan of him or his show, but he's a paid professional and it showed at EVO.

TL;DR Adam did a professional job because he's a professional. EVO and other e-sports venues need to continue to bring in actual talent to cast games to add some legitimacy to what they're doing.

It's going to be a long time before e-gaming will ever receive the cred of any other sport if all any of the commentators can manage is "what a nice sonic boom" or "nice comeback!" Every time I see a subject like this come up, I'm constantly reminded of MS' E3 press briefing earlier this June when they brought out the casters from ESPN sportscenter. A universe of difference in presentation.

Give me potential strategies, history of the players' "careers", etc. Make it interesting. Lose the monotone.

I think the biggest problem is that all I'm seeing are a bunch of kids playing pretend. Go to college, get a degree in communications, then come back to the scene.

Also, could someone give me a decent answer as to why there's a separate division for women for a video game tourney?

Also, could someone give me a decent answer as to why there's a separate division for women for a video game tourney?

Every girl in that tournament was also in the main SSF4 tourney, the gals tournament is just to give them a bit more exposure and maybe get more female contestants next year.

I know it doesn't always knock down, but do you necessarily always want a knockdown? I'm not a Makoto player, so I don't know, it just seems like a waste since you're not doing nearly as much damage as you could be, plus the mindgames are about the same (you could follow up the punch with another punch, grab, block, etc.)

Knockdown is a good portion of Makoto's game. The reason why Hayate is just not as good as it was in 3s is that it hits a little further than it did in that game - out of the reach of a karakusa.

Knockdown is good because you can dash in, close up that gap and pressure the opponent with stuff, maybe bait a reversal srk and get another karakusa. I do use s.hp->hayate to pressure as well though. But it's easier to crossup with a knockdown.

In some ways yes, in other ways no, it's all relative to what your trying to do. I always feel safer when the opponent is on the ground and i have time to set up my next action. It gives me a feel for what the opponent is willing to throw out on wakeup to keep me off. Thats the big deal. If they are scared on wakeup and defend, ill start throwing out grabs or another command throw.

FP -> Hayate is definitely the prime follow damage-wise, but the follow up from there is completely different, Makoto's options are limited after Hayate and trying anything will almost always get you jabbed into a special move. Her priority is fairly weaksauce in that situation, I tend to loose life when i FP -> Hayate -> something else. Even if i block or jump, it usually turns disadvantageous quickly.

In my opinion both options are totally viable and keep your game fresh.

To be honest I didn't see the entire Evo SSF4 top 8, I only saw the finals and the last few rounds before those. But during that, Sessler was WAY worse than ANY of the other Evo commentators I've heard.

I remember right at the start of the

, Daigo won the first match 2-1, then Ricky won the first round of the second match. Sessler went "All tied up! Two for Ricky, two for Daigo." It was just embarassing. He clearly had no grasp of even the basic rules of the tournament he was supposed to comment on. To Seth's credit, he didn't smack Sessler but just sort of went silent, and then calmly corrected him later.

Any other time Sessler comments on the game he's just parroting stuff Seth has already said, or pointing out which player has more life. He added absolutely nothing. The only good thing he did was shutting up and letting Seth speak most of the time.

Some of the other commentators were annoying, but at least they had an idea what they were talking about. Seth was clearly the best one there; Sessler was nowhere near second.

23_ssf4openslots2.jpg

Wow. Apparently this is from the Japanese SSF4 arcade version.

I wonder if there will also be a DLC release for the console version then.

namcocapcom.jpg

Is this supposed to be an upcoming new game?

It looks shopped... I think I recognise some of the Capcom character art from existing games. (Cody from Alpha 3, Dhalsim from Capcom vs SNK 2, Dante from Marvel vs Capcom 3.)

Still, we'll see I guess.