Battleforge: Free-to-Play RTS-meets-M:TG with Co-op and PvP

DarkeSword

http://battleforge.com/

So BardicKnowledge and I have decided we're going to start playing Battleforge. It's a fun online TCG/RTS hybrid game that features online PvE and PvP scenarios.

It was a retail game when it launched but it didn't do too well in retail, so EA decided to make it a free-to-play microtransaction based game; however, you don't really need to buy any "boosters" to go through the campaigns. There's a lot of content in this game: single player maps, multiplayer co-op maps, vs. maps, tons of cards/units, etc.

The art direction and graphics are fantastic, and the music is really good orchestra stuff. It's also not a really difficult game to get into, so it's good for guys like me who are pretty terrible at RTS games (i.e. there's not a lot of resource management; more focus on battle tactics), and difficulty is adjustable as you go through the game.

Anyway if anyone wants to play a little I'm always up for some co-op PvE; just hit me up on IRC or something in the evening.

I played this for a few hours a few months ago.

I guess that means I didn't really play it, but rather just dicked around. It seemed like it would be a lot of fun, I just didn't feel like learning a new RTS at the time. I really liked the idea of mixing it with a card game though. Some of the units were very interesting.

I've played some, it's an awesome game. If you haven't tried it out yet, you should! It's a lot of fun, and as someone who's had plenty of time logged in multiple TCGs (sometimes 2 or 3 at once) it was intuitive for me. The RTS part of the game is simple and elegant, and the graphics are top notch. You guys have got to get in on this!

• 4 months later...

So a couple of us (me, bardic, sixto, scytheful) in #ocremix have been playing this game fairly regularly, finally getting a chance to do stuff like co-op campaign missions. Because of schedules and people being busy, we're almost always looking for a fourth guy to play some co-op with (random 4P PvE maps at higher difficulties are nearly impossible with just 3 players), so if you're interested please play with us.