This is an epic testament to the power of hype

Zipp

Maybe I'd feel different about this situation if the game that was so expensive actually was good or contributed to the gaming industry in some significant way.

I'm shocked by the number of people bidding on this thing...

... but hey, if people have the money for something and they have the desire to purchase it, then more power to them, crazy as it might seem.

Lord knows if I had plenty of cash lying around I'd buy stuff that people would think I'm crazy for... like hundreds upon hundreds of arcade machines that I would play the living hell out of.

And I thought this Ardy Lightfoot auction was expensive. But I guess reading up on this game, it's no surprise its much more valuable.

Out of all the commercially sold NES games, Stadium Events is the most rare and in most cases the most realistic goal of NES collectors. What makes this otherwise standard game so rare, is that just after its release, it was recalled.

But Stadium Events, the original anomaly, had snuck out in ever so limited numbers. 2000 copies is believed to have been the total distribution tally, but doesn’t consider how many of those were sold prior to Nintendo’s recall. Some have suggested that no more than 200 actually made it into NES owners’ homes.

People pay hundreds of thousands for single baseball cards. If something truly IS rare, as Stadium Events is, it's definitely worth it as it's only going to increase in value over long periods of time. The only thing I find fishy is that just last week an auction ended for an NES lot featuring this game (the seller was unaware of the value) at about $13,000. The copy of the game in there was MINT condition, the best anyone had ever seen, and now all the sudden this "sealed" version appears on ebay.... fishy.

You can clearly see the $29.99 on the fucking box

I see a lot of ebay items like this actually. When I was searching for Secret of Mana I found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Secret-of-Mana-SNES-Super-Nintendo-NEW-SEALED-VGA-85_W0QQitemZ150410038810QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item2305230e1a

there's a couple more like this. search for "VGA 85" and you'll see a bunch of overpriced crap. $365 for Metroid II :( it may be the best metroid game but it's certainly not worth that much.

there's a couple more like this. search for "VGA 85" and you'll see a bunch of overpriced crap.

Well yeah, because you're searching for near-mint items, which can be expensive enough as it is for some games. Being rated by the Video Game Authority will only increase their price.

That said, there probably are some legit overpriced items on there, as I'm sure some beginner collectors will pay a premium just because it's in a fancy acrylic case with a high number on it regardless of the games actual worth.

I can't help but take this opportunity to share this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-14-Blow-Your-Mind-Nintendo-NES-Controllers_W0QQitemZ380207452174QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588621500e#ht_7838wt_939

My friend and I currently work for a recycling company as eBay listers (not a bad gig).

We put this together last week after we found a box of NES accessories in one of our warehouses. Most of the material in this listing can be credited to my friend Josh, but I did give him some inspiration, and helped convince him to actually take the approach he did with the listing.

Hope you like it. :)

I can't help but take this opportunity to share this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-14-Blow-Your-Mind-Nintendo-NES-Controllers_W0QQitemZ380207452174QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588621500e#ht_7838wt_939

My friend and I currently work for a recycling company as eBay listers (not a bad gig).

We put this together last week after we found a box of NES accessories in one of our warehouses. Most of the material in this listing can be credited to my friend Josh, but I did give him some inspiration, and helped convince him to actually take the approach he did with the listing.

Hope you like it. :)

I lol'd at the description on that page. I used to own one of those "pre-joystick" pads (second-to-last picture). Ah the memories!

Might be overpriced crap to some :P, but to others it's maybe their favorite game or their childhood. I like to collect, but I'm not saying I would pay $20,000 for a ridiculously rare game. There are some serious collectors out there who will.

Hell, look at people that collect cars. That takes up too much space for me. :P