Holy sh*t! There's a ghost in my french horns!

I shit you not!

I just bought my M-Audio Oxygen 61 MIDI keyboard and hooked it up. I opened FL Studio and loaded EWQLSO Gold and patched in French Horns F 6FH PORT. I played a forte G minor triad chord, held it down and let the sound decay. Still holding it down, after the horns completely decay I heard someone coughing! WTF! That scared the shit outta me cause I'm playing at 1am in the dark with my headphones blasting. I jumped outta my chair ready to punch whoever was behind me before I realized that it was coming from the french horns!

Anyone else who uses EWQLSO Gold catch this?!?! My heart is still pumpin'!

Here's the sample:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=777JOCMU

Yeah that's definitely super noticeable. It would be different it was very faint but you can distinctly hear that guy cough at the end and he coughs like twice more after that lol.

EW samples are riddled with sounds like this, the most notable being the mandolin from RA whereby the mandolin player is playing tremolos so intensely he constantly swears after a take.

Call it defect, call it realism, call it an easter egg. They're in there and they're in there to stay--most people don't care.

Bah it's not so bad. I know I paid hundereds for this software but I havent really been playing french horns in triads a whole lot and it seems to only happen with that that G minor one. I think I can deal.

Well, it's in the sample itself, not in the chord. Are you using the NKI or the PLAY version?

I can't seem to recreate it in the Kontakt version.

No, in some (certainly not all) cases you won't be able to hear it in the final mix, and yeah you could (and I'd have to) sort of edit it out. But if I paid hundreds of dollars for samples to a huge company that makes samples all day long, I'd expect them to have put in a day of work listening to their samples to make sure that crap doesn't happen. I mean we're all worried about 24 bit 96kHz super-triangular-hyperbolic-dithered perfection and I've got a cough in my recordings!?

I'm interested to hear if anyone else can reproduce it though.

Kinda reminds me of this, by the way:

hahaha

OH MY GOD! Did that make it into the game?! Christ! Don't these guys have play testers? lol

As for the version I'm using, I got the Kompakt version. Are you telling me that no one else can duplicate this?

Also, Dannthr, I tried hitting every note by itself and i can't seem to hear it unless it's in that G minor triad.

EDIT: Wait I just tried again and it's in the highest Bb that the horns can play. Funny though cause I tried yesterday and I couldnt get it to happen on any other key by itself.

OH MY GOD! Did that make it into the game?! Christ! Don't these guys have play testers? lol

As for the version I'm using, I got the Kompakt version. Are you telling me that no one else can duplicate this?

Also, Dannthr, I tried hitting every note by itself and i can't seem to hear it unless it's in that G minor triad.

EDIT: Wait I just tried again and it's in the highest Bb that the horns can play. Funny though cause I tried yesterday and I couldnt get it to happen on any other key by itself.

Well, in the Kontakt version of the F 6FH Portato patch, there are two velocity layers.

Still can't recreate it.

Finally, check to make absolutely sure that you've updated the Kontakt instruments, there are actual instrument programming updates for the Kontakt version (not sure about the ewi files for PLAY). Mine is up-to-date and I can not recreate this.

• 2 weeks later...