Demon's Souls (PS3 RPG)

zircon

Hmm.. I don't have protection or warding. Just Water Veil. Oh well, gonna try it and see how it goes. I did pick up the Hand of God which I'll use for some magic damage. I also was a dumbass and upgraded my +6 Winged Spear to +7, not knowing that I needed exactly +6 to get the "Moon" upgrades. Ugh, now I have to start again with it.

Yeah I don't know why they did this. It's almost as if they wanted you to use a guide.

I havn't hit the max level yet, but if you need a few pointers I can help you out.

Plan out your characters stats as to what you wanna do, because when you get invaded or invade and play with blue phantoms, they need to be within 10 levels of you to play, although it ramps up as you get higher, 25 levels when your around 100, etc.

After beating 1-1, if your looking for a solid weapon right off, there is a crescent falchion +1 in 4-1 on a cliff guarded by a black skeleton. You can also trade items to the crow alittle futher in for rings, souls and arrows. Finally if you can get scurry past the Vanguard, you can find an uchigatana also.

The guy in 3-2 that starts killing everyone ( I think his name is Yurt), the best option is to immediately kill him after freeing him, you can just backstab and kick him off the ledge, then reload your game and all his armor will be on the ground outside the cage he was in.

The magic spells you wanna obtain if your going as a heavy mage would be Fire spray, Firestorm, Homing Soul arrow, Warding, Cloak, and Soul Ray.

Fire spray becomes crazy when magic hits 70+ and you use the Kris, Ring of magical sharpness, Monk heads collar, or Clever Rat's Ring and the Morion Blade. You can use the spell while sprinting and it only takes up 1 spell slot.

Homing Soul Arrow ROCKS, it only takes 2 slots, and it is pretty much 5 soul arrows that hover around you and fire when an enemy comes near, I can easily do 1500+ damage with a single volley from this.

Kinda jumping around here, but good weapons to get are Moon/Blessed/Crescent anything, Dragon Bone Sword, Meat Cleaver, Blueblood Sword, Lava Bow (even if you don't use bows), and the purple flame shield. The katanas in this game are kinda limited unless you upgrade an uchigatana, but the makoto is good if you can offset the health drain.

Sorry for being all over the place, Havn't posted on any forums in awhile.

Great website for information : http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

it was supposed to be a way to get people to buy the collector's edition, which came with a guide.

Funny thing is when I pre-ordered it from Amazon, it had the same price as the current standard version of the game. :lol:

I will say though I wished they used a better material for the book cover on the guide.

In all honesty the game's more fun without knowing everything in advance and simply experiment with it; unless the player is one of those that try to get a perfect run on the first try. :lol:

I will say though I wished they used a better material for the book cover on the guide.

interestingly enough, they replaced it for free if you registered for it on their website a while back. they printed a replacement book with much stronger binding that didn't fall apart so easily. dunno if you still could get one, but...

Meh it's not that it's falling apart, just the cover fades too easily. If anything it's just for show for now.

Speaking of show...

Zircon, you can simplify the battle against the Flamelurker by simply having the purple flame shield, a good deal of health items and the magic weapon spell to buff your weapon of choice. Finally you can fight him as a melee character ought to be able to and have it be a fair fight. :wink:

shown here

Make sure the weapon is nothing more than an upgraded version of itself, nothing special like darkmoon enhancements and such.

I went in with the Purple Flame Shield and a Fire Resistance ring thinking it wouldn't be a problem. No. I got my ass kicked twice in a row. The first time I (somehow) managed to get him to about 30% but I blew through ALL my healing items. After an hour of farming I tried him again (Winged Spear +2 and Enchant Weapon) and he just ripped me apart. That's one thing that I have to say really, really sucks about this game. Melee blows ass. I started a Royalty character for fun and went through the entire first stage without dying once and generally just beating the hell out of everything with Soul Arrow. Is this a joke?

Even if you get close to Flamelurker, I can only get a couple of hits off - at most - and I have to preserve most of my stamina in case he catches me with his attacks. He has such major AOE that I often get hit even if I was BEHIND him. Furthermore Enchant Weapon only lasts 60 seconds so at most I get like 5-6 attacks out of it before I have to recast, and I can only cast it 3 times total. The first time I fought him, I had nothing left by the time he was 30% and just took it up the ass for the remainder.

I've been to his area four times now and while I helped someone else kill him (who looked like he had way better gear than me) I've never been able to summon anyone else. Fuck Flamelurker. Soul level 41 and I can't touch him.

I went in with the Purple Flame Shield and a Fire Resistance ring thinking it wouldn't be a problem. No. I got my ass kicked twice in a row. The first time I (somehow) managed to get him to about 30% but I blew through ALL my healing items. After an hour of farming I tried him again (Winged Spear +2 and Enchant Weapon) and he just ripped me apart. That's one thing that I have to say really, really sucks about this game. Melee blows ass. Fuck Flamelurker. Soul level 41 and I can't touch him.

Very strange as before I had shared this video a while back I had tried to do the same thing as that guy on the video. On a new game with a knight instead and managed to do the exact same thing with success.

What are your stats for the melee character, I'm sure you've been raising them right?

But just look at the video. There are a number of occasions where the guy has no stamina and low life and the boss just doesn't hit him. He was one hit away from death so many times that I would chalk his victory up to luck. If you're melee you HAVE to eat his attacks, and just hope that after you attack him you don't get guard broken/swiped. It's bullshit. Seriously, it's one thing to have a hard boss, it's another to have a boss where you literally are forced to take damage and quaff a ton of healing items. That is poor design, IMO. As for my stats, I think I have like 21 VIT, 22 END, 22 STR. I put enough into Magic and Intelligence to be able to use a single spell (Water Veil for the spider, and Enchant Weapon for this.)

Hmm, there were also times where the Flamelurker had a delay after making its attacks leaving it self wide open. What weapons were you using? Perhaps a change in weaponry would have helped you.

I did it with an axe enchanted rather than a sword like that guy did. You also could have used water veil in the fight as well couldn't you?

Also if you still are using the Temple Knight...

Recommended Starting Class: Temple Knight (for meat cleaver TK)

Recommended Stats:

* Vitality: 20

* Will: 15

* Endurance: 20

* Strength: 26

* Dexterity: 12

* Magic: 6

* Faith: 16

* Luck: 7

* Soul Level: 41

Sorry it's not much help.

Yes I'm using Temple Knight. My stats are similar to that but I have obviously higher Magic/Int so I can use Water veil, and lower STR/Faith. I can't use Water Veil AND Enchant weapon because my Int isn't high enough, so that's out. I'm using a Winged Spear +2. I hit him for about 115 per light attack so really damage is not the problem, the problem is that he's so aggressive, I can't get in more than a few hits at a time before I get my ass kicked from his AOE attacks, guard breaks and so on. And remember I only have the MP to Enchant Weapon 3 times, so if I don't win in 3 minutes I'm fucked.

What I'm thinking is that I probably need to skip this level entirely (yeah, awesome design - this is the second time I've had to do this) and just farm around until I can get a Moon Winged Spear or some other kind of innately magical weapon. I really hate that as a melee class I've NEEDED these things to win fights. For the Armor Spider I couldn't beat it until I had Water Veil and 5 more soul levels. For this, I need a magic weapon. It's stupid. Really stupid.

What I'm thinking is that I probably need to skip this level entirely (yeah, awesome design - this is the second time I've had to do this) and just farm around until I can get a Moon Winged Spear or some other kind of innately magical weapon. I really hate that as a melee class I've NEEDED these things to win fights. For the Armor Spider I couldn't beat it until I had Water Veil and 5 more soul levels. For this, I need a magic weapon. It's stupid. Really stupid.

Who knows maybe you'll have better luck elsewhere for now before coming back. As for the spider you mentioned, there's this spot in the tunnel where his range attack does not reach. Use a bow and have at least 300 arrows in stock, you can cheese your way to killing it without taking a hit and cheaply too. Have you also killed the optional red dragon boss in 1-2?

Again though, why should I be forced to resort to what is essentially cheesing or glitches? That really is very poor design, and for such an amazing game, it's inexcusable. I don't want to do anything like that. It defeats the purpose of playing the game, equivalent to using cheat codes or a Game Genie or whatever.

Anyway, it seems like 4-1 might be a solid bet. The skeletons, archers and mantas are all no problem for me, even the red eyes katana ones, though I haven't killed Vanguard yet.

Again though, why should I be forced to resort to what is essentially cheesing or glitches? That really is very poor design, and for such an amazing game, it's in excusable. I don't want to do anything like that. It defeats the purpose of playing the game, equivalent to using cheat codes or a Game Genie or whatever.

Anyway, it seems like 4-1 might be a solid bet. The skeletons, archers and mantas are all no problem for me, even the red eyes katana ones, though I haven't killed Vanguard yet.

I call it cheesing but considering the options and possibilities, I would do it if it meant having a 100% success rate cheaply (souls needed) and having no serious access to magic at the time; heck you used the water veil which practically nulls any damage fire does. :lol: When I fought it I barely had anything in a way of magic except curing poison via amulet.

The way I see it, the game allows enough freedom to let anyone decide how one faces the monsters and playing style to a degree. Enough so there are varying builds and states.

Good luck nonetheless.

try the axe or sword next time. Who knows, maybe you'll succeed then.

I feel your pain, Zircon. Flame Lurker is probably the hardest boss in the game for me, in relation to everything else.

That said, you're being a bit extreme in your criticisms, methinks. You don't need a magic weapon to beat him, you don't even need fire resist. Admittedly, the make things much easier, and that's no bad thing, but it's not as grim as you'd think.

I myself was forced to kill him with a Halberd +2 and Mirdan Leggings. And nothing else.

Totally my fault for not upping Stamina, but there ya go.

The hardest thing about Demon's Souls is fighting things for the first few times. Once you know how the boss fights, they're hardly as daunting.

If you want some other advice...

The Brushwood Shield complete nullifies fire damage when blocking, so you'd not need to use Water Veil anymore (It can be found in 1-1)

When he does a high jump towards you, run towards him (or dodge) and his back will make a nice target

If you find yourself getting into a corner, run past him. And I mean Sprint. Generally you can actually run past him before his attack connects, and he's left going 'wtf?'

Also.

If you do want to skip to 4-1, bring a Bow for the first Boss ;)

Just breezed through 4-1. I had ventured there a few times before to level up (on Pure Black tendency its nuts) and only died a single time throughout the whole level, counting the boss. Adjundicator is a joke, much easier than 1-2, 2-1 or 2-2. Also I didn't know the Crescent Falchion regenerated HP, and I didn't have a Regenerator Ring before. Now that I have both, I can cast spells indefinitely and last much longer... so I think I'll have an easier time with Flamelurker. Maybe. :P

I think I'm going to go for a Meat Cleaver next. I didn't even know the boss demon souls actually did anything besides give you.. souls, so that's one thing I'm glad I checked a guide for.

Yeah, crescent stuff regenerates MP and blessed stuff regenerates HP, its awesome. The Meat cleaver is painfully easy to make, ya know, once you can actually kill flamelurker, lol, you feel like Pyramid Head with it.

Make sure you rescue Graverobber Blige too, he sells the cheapest arrows in the game and also the best that you can actually buy if you don't consider white arrows.

YES, beat Flamelurker! Soul level 44. The Regenerator Ring and Protection spells make it more manageable. Also, what I wasn't getting in earlier attempts is that I had to try to run in a circle around him (while keeping him targeted) and eat some hits from time to time. I wasn't doing that before and was trying too hard to just dodge, which meant I wasn't doing any damage. Crescent Falchion +1 and Purple Flame were my only fire res and I was OK.

Edit: And then I went through 4-2, died like 6 times, but beat Old Hero on my first shot. Pretty easy fight all things considered... regen items > him. I'm close to a Meat Cleaver now - Mirdan Hammer +3 and I have the Swollen Demon Soul, I just need to farm up more Shards of Hardstone. It's really tedious. I get at most 1 per run at the Phalanx Archstone.

Congrats Zircon! See all ya had to do is make some changes in your strategy. :)!!

Funny thing, Adjundicator kept fucking me up as I was trying to reach it as it kept pinning me with its tongue. :lol: Still I did beat him eventually but man, it goes to show how just a few small changes can go a long way; especially if they're not noticeable at first.

Definitely. Now that I'm using Regen items, I can't imagine NOT using them. The Adj. shield and regen ring basically means I rarely have to use healing items now, and I can keep Protection up on myself pretty frequently. Beat the Dragon God too, now (I'm soul level ~52-53 or so, probably a bit over-levelled from dying so much and farming up new items.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey anybody had a chance at playing as the 3-3 boss in place of the old monk?

Special Event (Online only)

If a player in Soul Form uses a Blue Eye Stone or Black Eye Stone anywhere in World 3 (Archstone of the Tower Queen), he/she may be summoned into another world as a Black Phantom. When summoned in this manner, the player will be summoned into the 3-3 Old Monk boss room and thus become the Archdemon boss for the Tower of Latria. The invading player cannot leave the room and must wait for the host player to enter through the Fog.

When the host dies, for whatever reason, the "invading" player will get his/her body back and stand a chance of getting a Monk's Head Collar. Also, the "invading" player's Character Tendency is reduced by 1.

Man invading with the Scraping Spear and the Guillotine Axe while donning Brushwood Armor as well as a Dark Silver Shield, not to mention being able to do a barrel roll in said armor, finally taking the role as the Arch Demon of 3-3 would probably be the biggest dick move evar. :lmassoff:

Man I'd rush in with this theme blaring while I'm at it. :twisted: