OCR01220 - *YES* Secret of Mana 'Distorted Star'

djpretzel

This is a 80s style new age/rock/orchestral arrangement of Secret of Mana's Star of Darkness and also a variation of my OC mix, Drifting Towards the Stars. It is similar in style of some of Vangelis' or Kitaro's works.

I started and finished this remake of one of my older mixes of the same name, sometime early last year and then touched it up recently. Although it's essentially a bit old, I think it has aged well. It has taken a year to finally find a guitarist willing and able to complete the lead electric guitar work, so I could finish this mix. Lucky for me, my good friend Snappleman agreed to do it. Hope you enjoy.

LINK:

Credits:

Snappleman: Electric Guitar performance

GrayLightning: Arrangement, composition, production and everything behind the guitar

- GrayLightning

some slight out-of-tunage in the guitar, and i wish he would have slid a bit less, but it's good to listen to none the less.

not a fan of the percussion, perhaps this mix would have been better without, or just with a timpani or something.

seems a bit repetitive, but the guitar does a lot for this mix.

not spectacular, arrangement could use some variation, but it's solid, and the guitar works well.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in addition to my comrades' already sufficient commentary, I'll just add that the percussion is by far the weakest element. It really doesn't serve the purpose that a drum kit should in such an "80's style new age/rock" tune. Some fills consist of eighth note rides on an open hi-hat followed by awkward crash cymbal patterns.

However, the strings do a good job of keeping the juices flowing, especially the use of tremelo at the right places. The orchestra bells keep it interesting, and the little touches like the tambourine add some interest to an otherwise drab piece.

Guitar is slightly out of tune sometimes, but in more of a rockstar kind of way than a n00b kind of way. Basically, it's a blemish that doesn't reduce the whole product.

YES

-D