Guitar Pickups

Ok I've been playing guitar for just over 20 years (I turn 27 on 2/26. :) ) and I never got the chance to learn about pick ups from someone experienced. I bought a pickup for my Dean McPhantom a few years back. A Di Marzio Evoultion at the bridge. Someone from guitar center recommended it to me for metal but now I don't think it hold's any water to what I do these days and I think it has high impedence.

Nowadays I aim for a more John Petrucci (Dream Theater) sound. I found my old Images & Words CD and was reminded how awesome John's sound was. I'd like to try and emulate that but I don't think the pickups I have are doing the job.

Before anyone answers this I just wanna reassure them: I know that it's not just what you play but how you play it. I've been at this for years and I realized that how you handle your instrument can change your sound dramatically. This isn't my problem.

So, could anyone recommend a low impedence pikcup to get me at least a tone like Petrucci's?

Petrucci has used a multitude of different pickups and guitars over the years. I&W was primarily on his Ibanez guitars (basswood bodies) with either a Steve's Special or Tone Zone in the bridge, with an Air Norton in the neck. He has only recently started using the CL and Liquifire, literally the last few months.

I've seen those jp model guitars on music man's site for at least a year or two.

I have never customized a guitar outside of straplocks, I tend to use whatever comes with the guitar. That being said, I'm not completely happy with the pickups in the Ibanez S7320. It's a great guitar but the sound is not as good as my previous guitar. And I know nothing at all about changing pickups.

It requires some sawdering (sp?) skills. And there's a couple different settings to set them to.

That reminds me, I remember in my old DiMarzio booklet that came with the evolution said there were a couple tone setups (I think?) to sawder the pickups on. i can't remember what they were called. Can anyone enlighten me on that and what would be a wise setup for that Dream Theater-esque sound?

I sold an Ibanez STM-1 for a friend this winter at a really good price cause he needed the cash. I totally should have swapped out the pickups, it didn't even occur to me. I'm still kicking myself, as I have two guitars that could use an upgrade in that department.

I play my Avatar the most these days, I think the pickups are good, but I liked the Dmarzios in the STM1 better.

Why swap the pickups out of that Iceman? It came with stock DiMarzio Evo's, top of the line pickups. Most Ibanez guitars come with shitty Powersound/V7-8's/AH's.

Let me clarify. I had that STM-1 for a short while while helping buddy sell it. Finally a guy bought it for a pretty darn low price. I should have swapped the pickups in that Iceman and my old Cort guitar before selling the Iceman to some guy who was just buying it as a present. It went cheap enough it wouldn't have mattered.

I am still a bit urked about it.

• 2 weeks later...