Far Away - A Symphonic Metal Original(WIP)

MichaelTheCrow

Greetings all, I have been working on a Symphonic JRock/Metal track called Far Away. Heavily inspired by Stream Of Passion, Symphony X, X Japan, Versailles, Nightwish etc. This is going to be part of my solo album project which I intend to release commercially some time next year, however this is going to be a free download after release.

I have not completed much as of yet but I am willing to share with you guys what I have done so far.

Current version, intro basically complete, just need to touch up on adding more orchestration and acoustic guitar:

http://www.box.net/shared/dp8pgb8il0

Previous version(scrapped):

http://www.box.net/shared/7v5eur33i5

Software used: Sonar 8.5 Producer, Garritan Personal Orchestra, Dimension Pro.

Feedback/criticism welcome :).

• 2 weeks later...

Y'know I like where you're going with this one. Some sweet chords. My main problem is that it all sounds rather MIDI-ish - whilst the orchestration is good, there's not 'humanization' on the orchestral instruments.

I also thought that it kinda needed a melody- I mean you've built up some awesome atmosphere, you have to have a lead guitar anthem or something. ^w^ (But that's up to you, it's just an opinion)

• 2 weeks later...
Y'know I like where you're going with this one. Some sweet chords. My main problem is that it all sounds rather MIDI-ish - whilst the orchestration is good, there's not 'humanization' on the orchestral instruments.

I also thought that it kinda needed a melody- I mean you've built up some awesome atmosphere, you have to have a lead guitar anthem or something. ^w^ (But that's up to you, it's just an opinion)

Sorry in taking so long with this. So far it as all just midi programmed except for the oboe at the beginning and the guitars. I haven't had much time or motive to work on this track, but I am going to continue working on this, I've had major guitar tone issues...it's been halting my progress on most of my tracks.

I'm going to try and focus on the song instead of worrying about all that technical mumbo-jumbo getting the right sound to flow evenly within the mix.

I'll be keeping you guys posted on any further progress.

• 1 month later...

Well finally an update on this, I've re-written the entire thing. Added to the main melody at the start and now begins with only a Piano and Violin, as for the rest of the track, it has been scrapped. I'm going for a more dramatic approach with a hint of JRock inspiration.

http://www.box.net/shared/n9p5i8vve4

Let me know what you think, not everyone will agree with this change but it will work, trust me ;). Also this is now going to be a track for my upcoming solo album project, I do intend to go commercial but I will supply several tracks as a free download, this will be one of them.

Enjoy :).

I really like this intro now. It really captures that symphonic/power metal vibe. I think that after this intro should just be some blazing drums and guitars with a nice keyboard lead. I'm curious to see how it sounds with the everything else you wrote for it.

I might even write a short song around this myself if you don't mind?

I really like this intro now. It really captures that symphonic/power metal vibe. I think that after this intro should just be some blazing drums and guitars with a nice keyboard lead. I'm curious to see how it sounds with the everything else you wrote for it.

I might even write a short song around this myself if you don't mind?

Glad you enjoy it, I have indeed updated it since then and now have the full length intro before it really gets into the rest of the track. It is going to be lengthy, it now spans just over 2 minutes:

http://www.box.net/shared/dp8pgb8il0

The choir bit is just temporary, so it might sound cheesy for the moment.

You can write something on it if you really want to, I don't mind.

Enjoy :).

Its just that your intro got my into some playing some power metal riffs on the gee-tar, lol. I love the violin in the intro and is that a live acoustic guitar? Cause its sounds crisp and clean. I think the choir is decent for now. I don't mind listening to a long epic track. I've written a few of those myself.

Looking forward to where this track goes.

Power metal is pretty neat, combined with symphonic instruments turns it into Symphonic Metal. I am going for a bit of Power Metal, Symphonic Metal, JRock and Prog Metal.

The acoustic guitar isn't live, just one of the quality instruments that came with Dimension Pro, all that was programmed via midi, the only things played live are the choir and violin melody on the midi keyboard. When I get a decent steel string acoustic it will replace the virtual instrument, but for now it's still very decent and very realistic. Humanising the velocities and timings of the instruments will add even more realism.

Glad to see this has turned out so well, I will be sure to keep you guys posted.