Symphonic Choirs + Wordbuilder problem

I can load the choirs (Kompakt)in FL 7 just fine. But i cant seem to get the word builder to work with it. Even when i use these programs on stand-alone I can't get them to work with each other.

When I open Wordbuilder it asks me for the MIDI ins and outs and channels. I use my Oxygen 61 as the input (or as the option given is USB Audio Device). But for the output I've tried ALL the options and NONE work!

The options I have for MIDI output are as follows:

USB Audio Device

SB Audigy 2 ZS SYNTH A [800]

SB Audigy 2 ZS SYNTH B [800]

SB Audigy 2 ZS MIDI IO [800]

Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

NONE of these outputs are working. I nearly went bankrupt buying this! I could really use some help.

I just read that Cubase will run with it. I'll try that when I get home. I was hoping to use Cubase just for audio work. but i guess i'll have to use MIDI with it too.

The Wordbuilder Application is best run alone, in my opinion.

I use Maple MIDI tools, which is free, to add virtual MIDI ports to my computer.

If you think that's crazy, I run SONAR and Wordbuilder standalone on one computer, and wordbuilder is actually controlling choirs on a completely different computer.

Works GREAT.

Basically, chill out, chief. No need to run to a new DAW.

Well... I got it to work in FL. Thanks to this guy!

EDIT: LOL but it crashed my DAW. Ok Dannthr. Im gonna try it your way. :)

EDIT 2: Alright Dannthr. I downloaded Maple drivers But I have no idea how to use them and the directions are a bit vague. Can you help?

Yeah, man, do you have AIM or MSN?

EDIT: I'll try to walk you through after installation. So you installed the setup.exe, now you need to reboot.

After that, you should be able to select the Maple MIDI ports when you start up your program. I know that in SONAR, I have to go into MIDI properties and highlight the new ports for my input/output, but after that, SONAR displays them in my drop down selection list:

maplemidisonartut1.jpg

The MIDI Device Selection area, FLStudio might have something like this going on. These have to be highlighted to be available for use in the DAW.

maplemidisonartut2.jpg

But then I can select the Maple MIDI Ports (which is a standard 16 channel port) in my track drop down menu.

Now it's just a matter of wiring everything in your mind. Your choir MIDI sequence will OUTPUT to Wordbuilder which will likewise INPUT on the same port--then Wordbuilder will OUTPUT to your choir VST, so the input on your Choir instance will be the same one as the output from Wordbuilder.

maplemidisonartut3.jpg

Basically, the wordbuilder kompakt multis (and the Kontakt Only Multis) spread every phonem across 5 (10 for the Kontakt Only) keyboard ranges. Wordbuilder takes your normal music input with basic mod wheel use and then uses the phonem input you built (The words you built) as a trigger to where on the multi it will trigger the sample.

So the music data goes into wordbuilder which then goes into the choir instance.

I will try that tomorrow. it's late and my head is pounding.

But one more question.

I also have windows 7 on a seperate HD and it's 64bit which is what the reccomended specs are. I have a total of 6 gigs of RAM but half of it is not getting recognized by windows XP. I tried using the choirs in Windows 7 but when I tried to load any sample it said i was losing memory and i couldnt play the sample at all. In XP, though, I get the same message but I CAN play the samples. Which is odd. Also in XP when I try to load any multis i sometimes get this message saying "not enough free space in the memory block" or somethin like that. I'm guessing that's a RAM issue.

If I can get it to work in win7 then I have more RAM to play with. but it won't play anything. Why?

I will try that tomorrow. it's late and my head is pounding.

But one more question.

I also have windows 7 on a seperate HD and it's 64bit which is what the reccomended specs are. I have a total of 6 gigs of RAM but half of it is not getting recognized by windows XP. I tried using the choirs in Windows 7 but when I tried to load any sample it said i was losing memory and i couldnt play the sample at all. In XP, though, I get the same message but I CAN play the samples. Which is odd. Also in XP when I try to load any multis i sometimes get this message saying "not enough free space in the memory block" or somethin like that. I'm guessing that's a RAM issue.

If I can get it to work in win7 then I have more RAM to play with. but it won't play anything. Why?

Hm. So... well... I'm not sure, I'm not using Win7, my slave computer, which is hosting my choirs, is using Win XP64.

This is a bit of a hack, BUT, Kompakt is not a 64bit program, so I'm guessing that's why?

One of the things I've done, which like I said, is pretty hacky, is use a program called LaaTiDo on Kontakt (or in your case Kompakt)--the program remains 32 bit, however, it will have Large Address Awareness which means it can see it's full 2^32 bytes (approx 4GB) instead of ... what is it something like 2.5 or some crap.

Give that a shot, got nuffin' to lose!

http://www.musikbanken.se/TechLaaTiDo.aspx

I appreciate the help. But i've come to the conclusion that my computer cannot handle the word builder. :( But I can at least still use the choir's Ooo's and Ahh's. And I can also use the Altos and the wordbuilder but if I load any other multi it'll error the shit outta itself. In time when I get the machine required to handle such a thing I'll take advantage of it then.

Another thing that gets me though. The fact that they make a 32 bit version of this yet a 32 bit OS can only acknowledge up to 3.25gb of RAM. And the recommended amount 8! Why bother making a 32 bit version for a machine that can't run it? I feel slightly cheated.

I appreciate the help. But i've come to the conclusion that my computer cannot handle the word builder. :( But I can at least still use the choir's Ooo's and Ahh's. And I can also use the Altos and the wordbuilder but if I load any other multi it'll error the shit outta itself. In time when I get the machine required to handle such a thing I'll take advantage of it then.

Another thing that gets me though. The fact that they make a 32 bit version of this yet a 32 bit OS can only acknowledge up to 3.25gb of RAM. And the recommended amount 8! Why bother making a 32 bit version for a machine that can't run it? I feel slightly cheated.

Are you sure wordbuilder is updated? There are updates to wordbuilder itself, kompakt, and I think actual sample updates as well for choirs.

Check out the soundsonline service center.

I run Wordbuilder on a 32-bit machine, but I do run Kontakt on a separate 64-bit machine, but it wasn't always 64-bit (also my 64-bit machine only has 4GB of RAM).

When using wordbuilder, I typically run each group separate, though with Kontakt, it's usually Men and Women. I run them separate from eachother and separate from the rest of the orchestra.

For example, in this piece:

http://www.dannthr.com/temp/Dan_Reynolds_-_Operation_Iron_Phoenix.mp3

The male choir at the bridge of the piece is a completely different Kontakt multi file entirely PM me your AIM or MSN address, man, if you want to talk choirs.

For a performance comparison ... I run Win XP 32 on a Core 2 Duo, 2 Gigs of RAM. I can use the wordbuilder with two voices at a time. If I add more, things start getting screwy -- I bounce the first two voices down to wave files before I start working on the other two.

For a performance comparison ... I run Win XP 32 on a Core 2 Duo, 2 Gigs of RAM. I can use the wordbuilder with two voices at a time. If I add more, things start getting screwy -- I bounce the first two voices down to wave files before I start working on the other two.

wait a second. I just realized. I'm loading multis. Ones with 5 or 6 voices loaded. *slaps forehead* I thought only the multis worked with wordbuilder. I could just use 2 voices though!

But which samples work with the wordbuilder? I had a hard time find that before.

wait a second. I just realized. I'm loading multis. Ones with 5 or 6 voices loaded. *slaps forehead* I thought only the multis worked with wordbuilder. I could just use 2 voices though!

But which samples work with the wordbuilder? I had a hard time find that before.

Sorry, I wasn't being too clear -- by two voices I meant soprano and alto, for example. I'm using the multis for them, so two multis loaded at a time. I'm also using the PLAY version, but I'd think that would be more taxing on system resources than the Kontakt version if anything.

• 1 year later...

Alright. I took the time to read all of what has been said here, and yet I still seem to have a problem. I will post a screenshot of some stuff I think is necessary. Well, some other things you should know are that I am using Maple MIDI, do NOT use a keyboard (instead, use the piano roll in FL Studio 9), and kinda new to all this MIDI-porting stuff. This setup does not work and I would really love to get it working to have singing choirs in my music.

%21Help%21.png

%21Help2%21.png

Warfighter, the Track you're writing your choir notes on, in FLStudio, should be outputting to Maple MIDI Port 1 Channel 1.

The input track for Wordbuilder should be MIDI Port 1 Channel 1.

The output track for Wordbuilder should be MIDI Port 2 Channel 1.

The input track for Symphonic Choirs should be MIDI Port 2 Channel 1.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid post, but I don't have time to read through the whole thread, and I'm posting this answer based solely on my first impression of what your problem might be. =D

I also had problems using Wordbuilder in FL Studio, but then I found a pretty simple solution (with no complicated Midi port stuff). I've put everything you need (instructions included) here on Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?kalb3txgueu5e32

It should solve the problem. You can send me a message if you need any more help. I know Symphonic Choirs can be pretty user-unfriendly, especially in FL Studio.

Hope it helps!

I am still having trouble. When I played the choirs through the wordbuilder (i had a phrase set), it wouldnt play the word. Also, it only played the notes once every 5 seconds or so. For example: I would test the wordbuilder by pressing keys on my computer keyboard (not a real one, but in FL you can play notes on your actual keyboard, I use that for quick sound testing), and I press a couple keys to make a chord, it plays whatever I set it as (C Alto J) (I have the wordbuilder set to play Altos), and if I try to play anymore notes after releasing that first note/chord, it won't play, and I have to wait about 2-5 seconds before Sound plays through again.

I hope you understand.