DKC2 - Forest Interlude

halc

NB4 OMG! BAD END! oh wait...

First, this is good and nothing 'needs' to change, just needs finished. But since that's not very helpful, here are some opinions:

Brief list of the first things that pop into my head:

-Pan some of those pad sounds to give this some space in places maybe. I do love volume changes with panning...

-Didn't like the crackles on the drums at the start, but it grew on me.

-For as exciting as the drums are in this, the second half at the end (3/4 thru, wood block part bit thing that leads to the end) seems mellow and same-e. It's a flow thing, a fine beat, but the song hasn't really locked a beat down till that point.

-2 minutes long.

-ZOMG!END!ZOMG!BADEND!ZOMG!

Well, halc, you've gone and done it again. This is a totally chill version of the source - I like how you maintained the eerie version of the original. This screams halc!, and that's a very good thing. I know you've already done it, but, please fix the ending. Otherwise, I think it's submittable.

This is wonderful, there's so many details and I'm loving it! I like that the percussion keeps changing but still keeps the groove. I also like the Gameboy/Famicom instruments you used.

Sorry, I'm babbling, I'm just writing this while listening.

I do have a question, though. How did you make that beat from 0:18 to 0:26, it sounds like it has a degrade effect on it or something. It sounds really cool and I've tried to make that sound but I just can't seem to be able to. =D

Anyway, you've made a remix that's full of details, and at the same time it's still very easy and pleasant to listen to, good job!

How did you make that beat from 0:18 to 0:26, it sounds like it has a degrade effect on it or something. It sounds really cool and I've tried to make that sound but I just can't seem to be able to. =D

Anyway, you've made a remix that's full of details, and at the same time it's still very easy and pleasant to listen to, good job!

the degrading effect you mention is a combination of hi-pass filter, bitcrushing and stereo spread, all automated. it was very meticulous :P

glad you enjoyed it!

Bitcrushing basically reduces the sample rate depth of the signal. If you had a 16bit signal and crushed it to 8, suddenly the number of discrete volume levels the signal can occupy go from 65,536 down to 256. Remember how old voice samples on the SNES / Genesis sounded? Kind of like that, but more extreme based on the settings.