Want to help score a film?

Zipp

As some of you know, I am a movie producer in Portland. We're currently working on a series of pieces and are looking for talent to add to the pool.

First of all, you should know that we are completely serious. This isn't some guys with a camera and a script written by their cousin. This is a legitimate movie with thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours poured into it. It is going to see theater release.

In fact, we already have our musical director for this piece (he helped score the Saw films) so that position is taken. However, there will be more of these pieces set in the same world. There is also the chance that you could contribute to the score of this one in a collaborative effort with our current team.

In any case, the first step is to check out our facebook page. The piece is Population 2: a piece I wrote about a woman who lives alone after the world has ended. Yet, though she is alone, every night she has dinner with someone... or something. The piece focuses both on her daily survival and her nightly dinner ritual, with a lot of dark twists along the way.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Population-2/290330079130?ref=search&sid=667564992.42334836..1#!/pages/Population-2/290330079130

I recommend at least looking at it. The posters really are bad-ass.

I was reading over this post and realized that it might seem a little strange to just be throwing this offer out there on some forum. But in all honesty, I think some of the greatest musical talent of our time is contained on this site. I've heard amazing things in the decade that I've been a fan of Overclocked Remix. To me, this is an intelligent investment with mutual benefits. I'd be happy to give someone a career boost in exchange for the chance to use their talent in the film.

Are you looking for tracks specifically designed for the film or are you also going to be using snippets of things to go along with the film like a lot of dark artsy kinda films do?

If thats the case, I got some stuff you can take a look at if you're interested. Its already done and professionally mastered and so forth.

I'd assume such a thing is a paid gig - he wouldn't say that it's professionally produced and such and tell the musicians 'Naw, you don't get nuthin'...".

Unfortunately, Opportunity only arises for those that have the money and tools, in the first place. Give me a couple months and I'd have the tools to produce something for you, but atm, no go. Good luck, Zipp.

Great to see some response over here. I'm going to set up a new email account to handle the flood of emails I've been getting about the project. It may take a couple of days because I'm currently promoting the piece at various businesses and putting together some packages for film workshops that we are offering. Once I've got it up, though, I'll post the address here. The first step would be to get some samples from everyone so I can put together a resume file on those interested.

Again, there may not be a chance to score for our current project, but we are setting up for the future pieces (which will be filming after the Summer) and are taking names now. The list is going to get large fast, so the sooner you get your name on there, the better. Again, I really love this site, so this is the first place I've put the music call out to.

We will work out compensation once we've decided who we will be going with.

I'll drop the email here once I have it, thanks everyone for the interest. In the meantime, I highly suggest joining the Facebook page. Not only is it a good spot to get updates, but the majority of the producers are on there and it helps if I can point them to a face when we're deciding on hiring.

Getting on the list: I'll post here again when I've set up my new email account. I'm out of town at the moment and I'm coordinating the set up with the other departments so it will be a couple of days. Hopefully no longer.

Then I'll have you guys email me some things to that address. I'm waiting because I don't want anyone's name to get lost in the shuffle. Keep an eye on this thread.

perhaps I missed it, but I don't think you're quite answered this question. I only assume you want some type of dark/disturbing sounds based on the little blurb of the film (and the mention of the Saw film).

Darker, ambient, sounds are best for now. Again, we are probably to use you guys for the next piece of the film, which may have a slightly different sound than this one does. Right now, we would just want samples of your work so we can assess the mixing and the creative flow of the artists.

The problem with providing a sample of work is that it will almost definitely not include the style you are looking for. I can only speak for myself, but the majority of my portfolio revolves around original game-style music. This is also fairly out-dated as I haven't had a job scoring a game in a few years and without that, there's not much motivation to make original game music for use on nothing. :-/

I would be more than happy to make new samples.

Hello again, everyone. Rather than respond individually to the 20 or so PMs I received, I'll let everyone know that I've gotten your PMs and will be going over submission materials in the upcoming week or two. Please note that film can be a very slow process at times, so if you do not hear from me right away it does not mean you were rejected. I will be individually emailing people who provided emails with further details about the film. There may even be a chance for a collaborative soundtrack, here. I need to talk with the director.

Again, also note that we will probably use your talents for the next piece in our film series, which is starting in the summer. So it may take until then before anything major starts happening.

I've also got the email set up now, so further inquiries can either be PMed to me here or sent to: stark@moontribestudios.com

Thanks again for the interest! I'll be talking with the other producers and the director this week to see where all this talent best fits.

To Abadoss: you are in Portland? You should come to one of our film meetings so we can meet you in person. We'll talk more about that if you email me.

Quick update for everyone. I had a major network crash this week which wiped the new email I'd set up (and a bunch of other stuff, too). Until I get the problem fixed, just PM me here. That should work fine.

Thanks.

I'm definitely VERY interested in this!

I sent you a PM. I've scored a handful of films so I'm very familiar with the scoring process and scoring to picture. Also, I've done music for around 6 AAA game titles, check out my website for more info:

http://www.richdouglas.net

So you can get an idea as to how my music works within the context of a film, there's even footage up from the last film I scored, Nero Bloom (the score was released on iTunes) here:

http://www.richdouglas.net/projects/nero.php

And you can view another film I scored called CANDY in it's entirety from here:

http://www.richdouglas.net/projects/candy.php

A suite of some music I've done for a Half Life 2 mod recently thats darker / ambient (after the action cue at the start that is):

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=c3VK_ZK9O14

That should give you a heck of an idea as to what I'm capable of. No need to have multiple artists score this project, as you'll hear, I can handle any genre you throw my way. Hope to be able to help out.

Rich