Portal Update and ARG

Sporknight

Regardless of the precise definition of a retcon, it's still a pretty major change to the game's ending.

Change? Extension seems to be the better fit. At the end of Portal, before this update, everything explodes and you wake up in a parking lot with computer bits falling down around you. Cut to credits. They don't show you getting up and walking off into the woods, or being picked up by some helpful strangers, or anything. They don't specifically say what happens to you. Now, they're adding in details. New evidence means new theories, and a lot of old theories getting blown out of the water, which is what's causing people to cry foul.

Change? Extension seems to be the better fit. At the end of Portal, before this update, everything explodes and you wake up in a parking lot with computer bits falling down around you. Cut to credits. They don't show you getting up and walking off into the woods, or being picked up by some helpful strangers, or anything. They don't specifically say what happens to you. Now, they're adding in details. New evidence means new theories, and a lot of old theories getting blown out of the water, which is what's causing people to cry foul.

Pretty much this. They literally didn't change a thing about the old ending. They just showed what happens after the point where it used to fade to black and roll the credits.

I just reinstalled and I heard Glados say Chell in Testchamber 4.

In test chamber 06, GLaDOS says this: "Unbelievable. You, [subject name here] must be the pride of [subject home town here]." That sure doesn't look like Chell to me and using the name after or before that would be totally out of character.

You're going to have to turn your captions on, go through it again and tell me exactly where GLaDOS says it to convince me.

In test chamber 06, GLaDOS says this: "Unbelievable. You, [subject name here] must be the pride of [subject home town here]." That sure doesn't look like Chell to me and using the name after or before that would be totally out of character.

You're going to have to turn your captions on, go through it again and tell me exactly where GLaDOS says it to convince me.

Pretty sure the name is pulled from the model files, as was the case with Barney and the Gman.

Change? Extension seems to be the better fit. At the end of Portal, before this update, everything explodes and you wake up in a parking lot with computer bits falling down around you. Cut to credits. They don't show you getting up and walking off into the woods, or being picked up by some helpful strangers, or anything. They don't specifically say what happens to you. Now, they're adding in details.

Well, yeah, exactly. The game used to have an open ending, and now it doesn't. It seems to me that that's a pretty major change to the game's story.

Another example: The Matrix was an awesome movie, with a pretty open ending. Then it got a bunch of sequels which were decidedly less awesome. A lot of Matrix fans decided to ignore the sequels altogether, since The Matrix was perfectly capable of standing on its own. What if the Wachowski brothers had somehow been able to patch the original movie, to add another scene to the ending, with a cliffhanger leading into the second movie? Many people would have been pretty pissed off at that. I guess that's how I feel about this "extension" to Portal's story.

EDIT:

Pretty sure the name is pulled from the model files, as was the case with Barney and the Gman.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're right. Also the name Chell eventually surfaced in interviews with the game's creators. I don't really remember but it might also have popped up in the game's developer commentary mode. GladOS doesn't mention it in the game itself.

Will do sir.

Well there was no caption that said Chell directly. It was always a "Subject Name Here" as previously mentioned. Though at the end of the credits it said "thanks for the use of her face" and credited someone. It was like this:

Name of person whose face was used - Chell